PDA

View Full Version : Finally trying a solo challenge

ReloadPsi
01-02-2007, 05:09 AM
So I've gone for a solo challenge which I believe should be fairly easy: A Fighter. I'm playing the NES version because DoS doesn't have any saves free, and I don't (currently) have it on the PSX. Playing without any buff spells courtesy of the Red Mage(s) I usually have could make it kinda hard and I've already died a couple of times, but being able to hold the speedup button on the emulator because I'll never strike an ineffective makes it kinda worth it.

Party:

Fighter - Kill
Black Mage - Dead
Black Mage - Dead
Black Mage - Dead
(Get it? Because I left them dead! Ha ha ha!)

I'm almost at Pravoka, level 5. What level ought I to be to take on those darn pirates? Well I guess I'll find out in about ten minutes or so!

Edit: That was so easy. I don't know why I was worried.

theundeadhero
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
The game shouldn't be too hard. I never really use buff spells in the game anyway. Occasionally fast, but it's not important at all.

aquatius
01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
In a low level game things lke haste and saber are essential.

Creeping Shadow
01-05-2007, 01:43 AM
you should be able to get through just fine the fiends might be a challenge without buff spells. I remeber i did a solo red mage and a solo black mage without class promotions i got to chaos as the black mage but could never beat him and i beat it with the red mage just rember to get the giants gloves for saber those will save you often

Martyr
01-05-2007, 02:58 AM
If you class change, then it'll be extremely easy becasue Xcalibur plus Dragon Armor, Aegis Shield, ProRing, Ribbon = Immortal by lv. 30.

Seriously, it'll take youto Chaos before you take damage (Not entirely true, but the exceptions won't matter because you'll also have White Magic)

And on solo games, lv. 30 comes super fast. It'll be almost too easy.
I mean, you've already done the hardest part, which is not forgeting to save and heal after Garland and then immediately goig to Provoka upon which travel you immediately randomly encounter 2 Ogres who kill your lv 2, 15 HP, Rapier wielding self.

-----------------

If you don't class change, then you'll have to be more careful about saving items like the mage staff, Thor Hammer, and such.

But Flame Armor, Ice Shield and a Sun Sword will still take good care of you. Again, you level fast enough that the ONLY problem would be chopping up Kary without an Ice Sword.

Why you wouldn't get the Ice Sword is beyond me. This is actually a very easy part of the game. It's only hard for me because I'm a jacknape and I forget the labrynth patterns and end up fighting Kary without an Ice Sword. I'm far too stubborn to go back and find the Ice Sword or to retry, so things can be difficult for me. The real hardest part, as in every solo game, will be Kraken, since his multiple hits will be able to do massive damage if he gets a lot of criticals, no matter your armor. Since you won't be wearing Opal, which can still take 500 Damage, I can't guarantee that you won't face 800 damage from Kraken unless you've gon and gotten the white shirt and INV2'd yourself a bajillion times. Pray it casts Dark and Lit2 (Which it will).

ReloadPsi
01-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Well right now I'm at Elfland, trying to level up. It's not the Ogres who are a problem, it's those goddamned Creeps.

ReloadPsi
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Ugh, my balls just fell off; I keep getting killed by paralysis groups like GEIST and ZOMBIE in Marsh Cave.

Paladin229
01-06-2007, 03:10 AM
The Marsh Cave was one of the toughest areas for me the first time I played. I did a two member party once, and that's exactly where I gave up :D

ReloadPsi
01-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Well I did do it once, but a paralysis group killed me on the way back to Elfland, so this time I'm packing TENTs from Coneria so I can save. (Yay, finally got myself an avatar and signature.)

Sefie1999AD
01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Good luck with the Solo Fighter game! It should be the easiest of the solo games, AFAIK. Just watch out for enemies that petrify or instantly kill you (such as Sorcerers).

ReloadPsi
01-07-2007, 04:26 AM
I imagined a Red Mage would be marginally easier actually. Although I'm on the verge of giving up: I've attempted the Marsh Cave about seventeen times now, and it's not my level that's the problem; most enemies deal 1 damage and I kill them in one hit. It's the paralysis enemies. Remember how in Pokemon Stadium on the N64 the luck-related attacks would always work against you? This is worse. This is a thousand times worse. I only ever wake up BEFORE that goddamn CRAWL attacks me again, and I only ever get my "STILL GODDAMN PARALYZED" message AFTER the CRAWL has attacked, which I would SERIOUSLY FRICKIN' PREFER TO HAPPEN THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

I'm gonna give it one more try, then I'm gonna cheat.

Martyr
01-07-2007, 04:29 AM
No, don't cheat. Just save at a tent outside the Marsh cave. It's 3 rooms and about 12 fights max. They're not all Crawls, they're almost NEVER double Crawls, so kill the crawl or RUN if you must, but never cheat.

ReloadPsi
01-07-2007, 04:32 AM
No, don't cheat. Just save at a tent outside the Marsh cave. It's 3 rooms and about 12 fights max. They're not all Crawls, they're almost NEVER double Crawls, so kill the crawl or RUN if you must, but never cheat.
I already TENTed oustide. But no matter what, I get at least one CRAWL, usually a second one if I manage to kill the first. Then there's the GEIST groups; I don't stand a chance against six of those; even a White Mage wouldn't fire off a HRM2 in time. And running never works because, surprise cockfags!, they paralyze me first. I haven't felt this frustrated since I worked in a customer service callcentre.

Martyr
01-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Dude, I did it. I did it with a Thief, RM, and a Fighter. You can do it. Once you give up, you gotta quit the entire thing. Your credibility is shot.

You have any idea how many times I fought Astos? You have any idea how many Ogres I killed with a solo Thief before fighting Astos for the 40th time for the 5th time?

ReloadPsi
01-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Well yeah, but RUB is an instant death spell, and you know often they always miss in RPGs. Anyway, I'm going back in to further boil my patience :)

Okay, just to further depress us all, I'm gonna keep editing this post to chronicle all my attempts

1) Threee ZOMBIEs, three GHOULs. Work it out.
2) Got four WIZARDs; the last one killed me. Just my luck.
3) CRAWL, 3 BONEs and an R.BONE. CRAWL paralyzed me before I could RUN and I never came out of it again! Wanker.
4) Well, right now I have the CROWN and I'm on my way out... could this be it? Well, I got to the last step before the ladder leading the the main entrance. Two ZOMBIEs and two GHOULs killed me. Here goes number 5...
5) CRAWL, 2 BONEs and an R.BONE. Same as 3, and THIS time I even got "Chance to strike first", yet couldn't run. What the? Man, how many alternate timelines has the world ended in now?
6) CRAWL, 3 BONEs. This is getting old now.
7) So far I've been able to RUN from a 3 GHOUL, 3 ZOMBIE group. And now, after coming all this way, I've killed four WIZARDs, somehow. Grabbing the CROWN. Let's keep moving... Okay, back on the first basement floor, near the exit. We know that ZOMBIEs and GHOULs roam this area. Here goes nothing... I'm out! Oh my FRIGGING LORD, I'm out! Finally!

Martyr
01-07-2007, 04:36 AM
HAHA!

Wait until you reach the Wizards and two strike before you, each critting for about 80 damage and then you die!

ReloadPsi
01-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Keeping in mind my Fighter's max HP is 304, here's a screenshot of the ASTOS battle...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/deadastos.png

That was only my third attempt, too.

ljkkjlcm9
01-07-2007, 07:09 AM
You're still early. The worst is when enemies do about 10 damage, but they paralyze you, so you can't do anything except watch your HP slowly dwindle.

Status effects kill the fighter in the beginning, but solo fighter is one of the easiest parties... better than some combinations due to fast leveling, the easiest Solo by far.

THE JACKEL

ReloadPsi
01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
You're still early. The worst is when enemies do about 10 damage, but they paralyze you, so you can't do anything except watch your HP slowly dwindle.
There's a post about Marsh Cave earlier on. Believe me, I know aaaaall about getting paralyzed.

Raziel
01-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Good luck. I haven't done solo yet, but even with 4-member party enemies like Medusa and Wizard (you know, that 1-hit-you're-dead monster) will give you helluva hard time!

I can imagine how frustrating solo play could be...

ReloadPsi
01-09-2007, 05:55 AM
Well I'm now a Knight with just about every spell he's allowed to learn (a grand total of eight, wow!) and the Defense sword, about to tackle the Sunken Shrine or whatever the NES version calls it.

The only thing that's gonna make me more bad would be if I were playing an actual NES and using the Power Glove. Oh baby!

blim
01-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Has anyone done solo with a white mage? Is it possible? Can't imagine it would be.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Has anyone done solo with a white mage? Is it possible? Can't imagine it would be.

Yes it's possible, and yes people have done it, including myself. I've done solo for every class, with and without class change. Magic casting items were my best friend late in the game, as it was my best damage dealer. And Masamune was the tool to kill Chaos, in all my solo games(except Black Belt)

THE JACKEL

ReloadPsi
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Killing Lich in two turns with HRM3 would be the funniest thing ever. I have got to try this on the PSX version as I hate the White Mage's NES sprite and can't hack the ROM to add the red bits due to the weird way the palletes work on your map sprites.

Martyr
01-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes it's possible, and yes people have done it, including myself. I've done solo for every class, with and without class change. Magic casting items were my best friend late in the game, as it was my best damage dealer. And Masamune was the tool to kill Chaos, in all my solo games(except Black Belt)
THE JACKAL

With solo wm, what level to kill Astos? I mean, you got, what? A 10g Hammer?

ReloadPsi
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, thinking about it, that's pretty damn insane. I'm more worried about them damn WIZARDs in the Marsh Cave though.

ljkkjlcm9
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
THE JACKAL

With solo wm, what level to kill Astos? I mean, you got, what? A 10g Hammer?

basically yes. The best part about Solo is 4x the exp for a group of enemies. Whle I can do a 4 person party around level 8 against Astos, I was over level 20 when I did him solo WM. I'm quite sure I had a cast of Level 7 magic possible, that is if I could have learned anything over 4.

THE JACKEL

ReloadPsi
01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/DieCHAOSdie.png

This was so totally worth it. Note the use of the FF3j Knight graphic, courtesy of some meddling with FFHackster. But that's for another topic.

Fireblade13
01-18-2007, 10:29 PM

THE JACKAL

How is it to ascend to the level of FF god? I'm working on a 4 knight party at Chaos on DoS so I feel like Garland, "Slight less Bad@$$ than kelp". I'm thinking about going to try a 2 party team. Probably Knight and RW because it will give me a Meat shield do cover my buffer.

Is it really true that RW party is not the easiest? I thought he could be able to use all the buffs have white magic some decent armor and HP and the ability to kill stuff usually in one hit.

Considering XP is not 4x would it be harder on DoS even though DoS is easy?

Martyr
01-21-2007, 02:31 AM
NOTHING is hard on DoS.

It is conceivable that your characters might take damage in a DoS game, and sometimes the items cost money, but, aside from that, there's no real challenge.

All RW is not the easiest because they can't dish out maximum damage at the end of the game. And, at the end, when your best weapon is a Sun Sword (In the hands of a wimpy RW) and limited casts of ICE3, with NO high grade armor, you'll see that 4 RWs cannot be the best at all.

The easiest party is F/F/T/RM

I choose the Thief because of his running skills and the Ninja's extra abilities in the end. Also, there aren't enough super-swords for a 3 Knight or 3 RW party to be much more effective than if you had a Ninja holding that spot with a Katana.