PDA

View Full Version : FFXII ruins past games in FF series?

tan
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know if this should be in the Final Fantasy Forums, but it pertains to FFXII, so I think it should be here, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any other threads on this yet.

Anyway, I was thinking of how some people play the newer FFs first, then move onto the classic ones next, just as I did (I started with X then discovered VII, VIII, and IX). There are people who have never been introduced to FF before obviously, and, so, do you guys believe that playing this game first and then playing the past games in the series will ruin their experience with FF?

What I mean by this is, for example, someone discovers FFXII and the FF series along with it, and then loves this game so much that they want to play FFX (let's say they didn't want to play FFXI because it was a MMORPG or something), which they haven't played yet nor have really heard about it. Do you believe that they'll dislike FFX because they liked FFXII better?

For me, if I discovered FFXII first, I'd think that I'd sort of expect the same thing from FFX (if I didn't play FFXI, that is). I mean, I wouldn't expect the graphics to be as good, but I'd expect the whole gameplay of it to be similar, so I do think that I'd be a little bored with what FFX has to offer after playing something so refreshing FFXII. I do believe that if these people take the time to play FFX (or any past FF game, for that matter) they will like it, even if it isn't as expansive or refreshing as FFXII, but I don't think they'd be as enthralled with the game as they had with FFXII. But, that's just my opinion, and XII wasn't my first, so I can't say for myself, so that's why I wanted to hear from all of you :)

atlanteay
01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
no, i think they'd be more pleased with past FF games because i played FF8 first, then 7, 9, 10, 12. I Just played 3,4,5, and 6 and i'm enjoying them far more than 12.

Tavrobel
01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
If the person has an inclination to appreciate only the graphics of a game, then yes, this game will spoil that person. If the person has terrible reflexes, then they might find the old games easier, unless the logic center of their brain is working at minimum capacity.

Overall, I'd say no. This game is also more boring than some of its past predecessors.

LunarWeaver
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Hmm, it probably depends on the person. If they are very accepting that the many of the entries in the series will be different from each other and very different from XII, then they will be fine with it. If they're too busy analyzing each game then they won't like it.

Usually FF games only get hated because they get analyzed much more than any other game series. Instead of playing them, people constantly study and compare them and there's not going to be any joy from that. If they can keep away from that, I don't think that XII will affect their opinions of the others.

I began with VII and played through X before playing the older ones. I had no idea then that the ATB bar didn't start until IV. I thought it had always been there. But X was still my favorite despite my initial experience being with an ATB bar and an interactive worldmap like all three playstation games had. Ya never know what will float that boat my good friends. So I could easily see somebody going backwards and liking those more or equal to XII.

Setzer Gabianni
01-02-2007, 08:32 PM
For me if I started from XII downwards, I'd expect everything not to be as good as the next game up, and that wouldn't bother me, I'd just appreciate each title for what was in it..if it pleased me.
XD

~Setzer Gabianni

Renmiri
01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Not at all. If they liked XII and go expecting lower graphics and more of the same boring music and weak story they will be blown away by X!

:D:D:D

Ouch!
01-02-2007, 10:24 PM
My first Final Fantasy experience was watching my friend play through a majority of FFVII. I played FFVIII on my own, and I can honestly say that playing those games first has not affected my opinion of the older games in the series.

I don't call my first Final Fantasy my favorite--hardly. FFVIII is my least favorite in the entire series, so it's not like I'm comparing everything to that experience. I enjoyed FFI, though I need to finish it. I got stuck in FFII and haven't played much of it in a good long time. Still need to pick up FFIII. FFIV is one of my favorites in the series. I didn't play much of FFV, but what I did play interested me. I believe that both FFVI and FFVII are highly overrated, but neither are bad games. FFVIII--yuck. FFIX is one of my favorites. FFX had a fun battle system, but the rest of the game didn't strike me as anything special. FFXI stole my life, and FFXII is up there with FFIX.

My favorites jump around a lot, so, I can assume that if I played FFXII first, it would be much the same way. I wouldn't expect the games to have the same mechanics as FFXII, so I wouldn't be disappointed there.

It's also good to note how many of the titles I haven't finished, and I usually appreciate games more once I have. Now that FFXI doesn't absorb all of my life, I can finally get around to finishing them, and I can promise I'm not going to let my opinions of FFXII influence those of FFV.

sexymonkey
01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
i agree with ouch!, i dont think playing earlier games has affected my perception of the latter, or earlier (also i agree that viii was a bit......:skull::skull::skull::skull:!). I played vii first, then worked up to x (still havn't got xii here in UK, Booo!) i found the changes in gameplay and graphics refreshing and exciting, otherwise it would be like playing the same game all over again to a different story.

however when i got I, II, IV, and V i didn't find them as engrossing as the others, VI was different i liked that and finished it, finaly! but as for the others, i got a short way in and abandoned them. im not sure why this is, i hope is isn't because of the graphics as i thought i wasn't that shallow!! (i remember loving chip n dale on the NES even now!)

Setharion
01-03-2007, 12:44 AM
For me its quite the opposite, past games ruin FFXII for me because theyve instilled in me a preference kind of RPG gaming that ive grown to love for over 20 years.

Its one thing to start mid life in the series and work your way back playing the older ones, but its another to start with the very first the day it came out and go on up each installment for years.

Ive literally grown up with the series and i like it a certain way, and XII is such a drastic change it just makes me wish it wasnt a Final Fantasy game...but it is and ive accepted that, i just know that my love for the series remains in all past installments and it looks like it may stay that way from here on out.

I enjoy XII but not like i did with past installments.

Wolf Kanno
01-03-2007, 06:21 AM
No, I don't think it would affect the older games or how good they are. I started with VI but IV and I are my next favorites after it. I like each game for different things and I learned early on that FF's only tradition is to evolve. Of anything, FFXII will make them appreciate the older games seeing as how their are so many in-jokes to past games.

Pool
01-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I doubt the casual gamer could get into the old FF's (SNES, PS1), with or without the FF12 experiance. If anything, people who are satisfyed with FF12 will be able to appreciate the classics more then if a SNES FF was their first step into the franchise in this day and age. I couldn't see myself enjoying FF4 and FF6 as much as I did without playing the more modern FFs (PSX and up) first.

Lynx
01-03-2007, 06:48 PM
well i think it depends ont here reason for playing FFXII if they played it because htye like the graphics and the battle system then they might like there older FF's less and not care to play the older ones as much. if they play FFXII for its story and play other video games for its story then they would like other FF's. for me its the story that makes hte game not the graphics and battle system. the battle system and graphics help but its the story thats important.