PDA

View Full Version : Indigo Prophecy

LunarWeaver
01-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Oh no, another huge ass post.

I had extra cash laying around from Christmas and bought this. I just beat it, and though a little on the short side, this game is amazing to me.

I'm normally not into the whole "adventure" style game, but I was in the market for something new. I've saved the world in a billion RPGs and run and gunned many nameless henchmen in my day. Something new is definitely what I got.

This game really takes "interactive movie" and makes it fun. Emphasis on the interactive...I was expecting to be watching a lot of cutscenes (though that's something I don't mind anyway), and I was pleasantly surprised to find I never once could put down the controller. This is a game you play and not watch for sure. Some moments in this game are utterly heartpounding. The opening scene can attest to both the strength of the plot and the strength of the gameplay and hooked me for good.

The "simon says" sequences are by far my favorite thing in the game. All of those were great fun. I also loved the parts where you control Carla's breathing. When she was in the mental hospital and the electricity cut and they all got loose...that's awesome stuff right there.

Being a killer and the detectives investigating the killer both is a stroke of genius :jess:. I got so attached to all three main characters that they really make you choose painful decisions. Like when I had to make a description of Lucas...It came down to, "Do I give evidence that will make it easier for me to catch myself later, or mess it up on purpose so it's easier for me to escape myself later?" The whole thing had a great dynamic.

The last portions of the game took some time leaps, and after spending so much time in their day to day lives, it really left the impression they simply ran out of time to develop the game. It also got pretty deep into the paranormal aspects, but I didn't mind all the Matrix-style kung-fu sequences that were happening. They were fun, actually.

My one big gripe about the game is the love thing that was tossed in out of nowhere between Lucas and Carla at the ending chapters. It makes it worse that Lucas is told he's basically dead but still animated after the amusement park part. The man is a freaking zombie. Carla even makes two comments about how he's always icy cold. And then they have sex. She smurfs a dead man. And then she gets pregnant! Zombie baaaaabies.

Anyway...Discuss Indigo Prophecy :jess:.

And if you haven't played it, don't confuse this with a normal point-and-click game on a console. It's easy to look at it and think it would be boring...it's not. What Resident Evil 4 did to reinvent Survival Horror this game does to reinvent this type of paced Adventure game. There are so many parts that so engrossing. I couldn't believe the tension I felt sometimes. The emotional attachment to the characters and immersion in the world is wonderfully executed. The score to the game is also haunting and truly fitting of the movie feel it has.

I should mention if you're a graphics kinda gamer, stay away from this game, coz it ain't a pretty one kiddies. The character models are pretty bad at times and facial expressions generally look like they're having a seizure from the neck up. But who cares? A game sure doesn't have to be beautiful to be good, and this is proof. We can't have a Square-Enix budget all the time.

This is one of those games that you can tell had a lot of love put into it by the team. It's also one of those games that deserves a sequel and will probably never, ever see one. :(

Ryth
01-04-2007, 04:39 AM
I haven't beaten it yet, I'm on some flashback event at night where you and your brother sneak out, not the first flashback, but like the second. The camera is too much of a pain for me to bother with, I'll get to it eventually. I really enjoyed this game, the story is truly superb. The characters are done perfectly. I did surpisingly like the interactive simon says and breathing mini-games, which I thought would annoy me at first.
I agree there should be another Indigo Prophecy, or anything like it, but I'm sure it won't sell well and will never ever get a sequel.

NINJA_Ryu
01-04-2007, 05:07 AM
I want it badly

So badly that i would chop my legs off.

But the demo is brillant, I just loved spending the time to see all the diffrent ways of doing things!

SAw a nice parody on it too hehe ^^

Khaotic
01-04-2007, 05:49 AM
I beat it, one of the hardest parts is the hmm.. I believe it was some sort of storm and furniture is flying threw windows? Been awhile since I played, but that was by far the hardest part

The ending was terrible though..

RiseToFall
01-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I've been wanting this game for a while now, but never really had the chance to pick it up. Since by now it's pretty much in the bargain bin, I need to stop making excuses and get it.

Araciel
01-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I LOVE IP and i want to design games the of the like.

Levian
01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Hmm, I think this game got released as Fahrenheit in Europe. This sure sounds like Fahrenheit anyway.

I really liked the beginning of the game, of being a murderer and investigating and all that. I love games with investigation, but the game wasn't always at its best, I didn't like all the button pushing sequences. A few is OK, but there were too many in this game. I also didn't like the supernatural turn it did, I like things to be more logical so I figure stuff out on my own. But by all means, Fahrenheit is an enjoyable game and worth the cash. It's just that I think it had potential to be even better.

Larahl
01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I love this game so much, and I have beaten it several times.
It has awesome sex scenes! :P

Ryth
01-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Yes, it was known as Indigo Prophecy in America and in Canada. It was released as Fahrenheit everywhere else.

LunarWeaver
01-05-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm on some flashback event at night where you and your brother sneak out, not the first flashback, but like the second. The camera is too much of a pain for me to bother with, I'll get to it eventually.

This part was more aggravating than anything. Here what I did in case you're wondering, and I'm sure you aren't but I'm going to tell you anyway: First run around the intial building hugging the wall and stop at the small staircase. The spotlight will hover close to you but it won't see you. You'll see two officers pop up in a small square. Sometimes they look over in your direction, and then they go back to talking. Wait until they're looking away and then hike it across.

Next you have to distract an officer and get him away from his post. Take one character of your choosing and find a small pile of black rubble next to the house you're by. You'll see an option to throw a rock and the officer will run off to investigate. Switch characters and run one brother across, and he will stop and say "I should wait for my brother..." then just repeat the motions with the other one.

Finally, you come to yet another officer and you need to climb up a telephone poll he's standing next to. Markus will offer to make a distraction while Lucas goes for it. Crawl around the house to the other side and you'll see a trash can and an icon to kick it over. Do it and the officer will leave and Markus keeps him busy for a while. Then just run Lucas over to the telephone poll and climb up, shimmying across while avoiding spotlights. After that it's just a matter of avoiding spotlights again while you make for the hanger.

Hopefully I remembered all that correctly =/

And yeah, I forgot to mention this is called Fahrenheit elsewhere :hahaha: Oopsie.

I want to play the game again and see if I can get Tyler to stay for the final chapters. He didn't seem very important anyway so when the option came to get rid of him I just tossed him away.

I'm also naturally curious to see how depressed I can get all my characters. I thought the mental health thing would drive me nuts for a while, but really I think it was only there to make sure you don't jack around too much.

Ryth
01-05-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm on some flashback event at night where you and your brother sneak out, not the first flashback, but like the second. The camera is too much of a pain for me to bother with, I'll get to it eventually.

This part was more aggravating than anything. Here what I did in case you're wondering, and I'm sure you aren't but I'm going to tell you anyway: First run around the intial building hugging the wall and stop at the small staircase. The spotlight will hover close to you but it won't see you. You'll see two officers pop up in a small square. Sometimes they look over in your direction, and then they go back to talking. Wait until they're looking away and then hike it across.

Next you have to distract an officer and get him away from his post. Take one character of your choosing and find a small pile of black rubble next to the house you're by. You'll see an option to throw a rock and the officer will run off to investigate. Switch characters and run one brother across, and he will stop and say "I should wait for my brother..." then just repeat the motions with the other one.

Finally, you come to yet another officer and you need to climb up a telephone poll he's standing next to. Markus will offer to make a distraction while Lucas goes for it. Crawl around the house to the other side and you'll see a trash can and an icon to kick it over. Do it and the officer will leave and Markus keeps him busy for a while. Then just run Lucas over to the telephone poll and climb up, shimmying across while avoiding spotlights. After that it's just a matter of avoiding spotlights again while you make for the hanger.

No, thank you, I was hoping someone could swoop in and help me out here. I'll get around to doing it when I can be arsed. xP

Aurey
01-05-2007, 02:32 AM
It was a lot fun, and frustrating in a lot of parts too, some of the interrogation parts especially. It was my first time playing that sort of game, and I enjoyed it, I guess.

The ending is the worst part, though. So incredibly stupid, it hurts.

Madame Adequate
01-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Being a killer and the detectives investigating the killer both is a stroke of genius :jess:.

Quoted.
For.
Truth.

It's a shame they clearly didn't have everything they needed to finish it up properly, because there's clearly something missing in endgame, but it's still a pretty fantastic game, and I'd love to see more in a similar vein.

Roto13
01-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Being a killer and the detectives investigating the killer both is a stroke of genius :jess:.
That's what I said about Death Note, except my grammar was better. :P

LunarWeaver
01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
That's what I said about Death Note, except my grammar was better. :P

Unless you have mystical powers to jump into manga and directly control L and Light, then they are different. D:<

Roto13
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm not saying Indigo Prophecy is a Death Note ripoff! BLARGGAG! CHILL BEFORE I EAT YOU!!!

Captain Maxx Power
01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
It's a very good game and definately a milestone in terms of storytelling in computer games. My main two gripes with it are the following: One that the game actually requires you to do well up to point. You can't just keep screwing things up to try and change the story because you'll "die". It is a game after all, and you do need Game Over's once in a while, but it's frustrating that the story is basically set on a track for the most part. Secondly the storyline starts off fantastic, but really spirals downhill during the last act. I mean, aztec curses and AI's wanting to take over the world? Give me a break! And why did Lucas become Neo all of a sudden?

N8V_Tidus25
01-06-2007, 07:21 AM
I love this game, it was more like a movie though, not much playing but overall another one of my favorite games ever, great story and the emotions amazing, I was kind of worried at first I thought it was going to be like resident evil 2 when they talk and move their hands and their mouths don't move at all but this is a truely great game, worth the money. BUT I think it should of just been a movie.