PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires

Lost Number
01-04-2007, 02:41 PM
How many of you lot ever played these games? I've got readdicted to AoK recently. What are your thoughts on this series.

Dagga
01-04-2007, 04:12 PM
I have the Roman age which is really good!!! I loved beating the crap outta all the tiny dudes!!

Kyri
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I used to play AoK all the time, it's a great game.

Lost Number
01-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone with AoK and expansion can play me if they want. Its a great game.

McLovin'
01-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I made my own scenario on AoK and submitted it to "Age of Empires Heaven."

I loved the 3rd one but it was just so easy. :( And a bit too short.

Rome Total War beats all. :)

Tavrobel
01-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello, Mister overpowered siege weaponry.

AoK/TC is the best one of the series. I wasn't all that impressed with the third.

Araciel
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
i only played the older ones...i SUCK at RTS

Pike
01-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I have AoE II the Conquerers Expansion and I'm decent at it. It's a pretty fun game.

Sergeant Hartman
01-04-2007, 05:38 PM
How do you turn this on?

Old Manus
01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm game for a game, Mr. Number.

Rocket Edge
01-04-2007, 06:19 PM
AoK/TC is the best one of the series.
QFT. Great game.

Lost Number
01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Manus, Pike, whoever, i'm ready if youse want me. PM or IM me to sort out details.

Kanshisha
01-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I have AoE II the Conquerers Expansion and I'm decent at it. It's a pretty fun game.Same here...i always pick the Goths because of the nice buildings lol...:D

Lost Number
01-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I have AoE II the Conquerers Expansion and I'm decent at it. It's a pretty fun game.Same here...i always pick the Goths because of the nice buildings lol...:D

You poor sod. No walls and all infantry = killed.

JKTrix
01-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I have the Age of Empires DS game. It's quite good.

Tavrobel
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Actually, the Goths almost never lose against Siege Weapon/Archery civilizations, like the Maya, or Britons. Yeah, put them against the Huns, and you are just plain screwed. The Goths are like the Zerg. Tech their Uniques, and pump them out as fast as you can. A nice Castle Age rush puts many players to sleep.

I'll admit, it's been awhile since I played, but I don't use walls at all.

Lost Number
01-04-2007, 11:56 PM

Actually, the Goths almost never lose against Siege Weapon/Archery civilizations, like the Maya, or Britons. Yeah, put them against the Huns, and you are just plain screwed. The Goths are like the Zerg. Tech their Uniques, and pump them out as fast as you can. A nice Castle Age rush puts many players to sleep.

I'll admit, it's been awhile since I played, but I don't use walls at all.
I meant more like civs with infantry-busting units. Japanese, Byzantines and Aztecs are all good. If you come up against those guys as the Goths, say goodbye. 30 phracts will crush the massed Huskarls and let your rams level the town. EASY.

Ryth
01-05-2007, 01:11 AM
I really liked Age Of Empires II, the third didn't impress me either. I also like Age Of Mythology a lot.

Old Manus
01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I only use civilisations with Seige Onagers for the sole reason that I can bust through forestry and perform sneak attacks.

ShunNakamura
01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I only use civilisations with Seige Onagers for the sole reason that I can bust through forestry and perform sneak attacks.

My brother loved to perform sneak attacks with the huns. He would Micro his Trebs until he had cleaved a way all the way around the map if neccesary. And he could do this while fighting with his horsies on the front. Though he was never as aggressive while doing that as he usually was(thus if he seemed to be wanning and there was still plenty of gold left it is time to start trying to predict where he would come out).

He tried that on me once in a multiplayer game. Too bad for him I predicted him and hid a sh*t-load of bombard towers and and walls around them(so his guys could attack the towers directly) just outside the viewing range of his trebs from edge of the forest. He walked right into a trap. Still did considerable damage though.

NINJA_Ryu
01-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Huns

Kik

Arse

'nuff said

but theres more!

As great as AOE is, i have to admit the craft games and C&C are beter (was weaned on AOE, #3 doesnt deserve any recognition.)

Rase
01-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I agree with the general consensus here in the AoK:TC was the best in the series. I like to play as the Britons, mainly because I love having Cavaliers backed by 80+ fully teched Elite Longbowmen and some Trebuchets. My second favorite civ is the Byzantines.

My favorite part about AoE:III is using cannons to make units fly ever direction. I again like the British because I have the card that allows you to upgrade your Longbowmen to Imperial level, and by then they rock. Also, the music in this game beats the others by far, in my opinion. I absolutely love it.

blackmage_nuke
01-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I used to love that game, but i was really bad at it :(

-

Lost Number
01-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Huns are good for ONE things, rushing. If they dont rush by castle age or sooner, most people will stand a fair to good chance of beating them. And the seige onager is only really good on Black Forest maps, because i've had that trick pulled often enough to know that you never allow forest to serve as a wall when playing a seige onager civilisation.

I Took the Red Pill
01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I have the Age of Empires DS game. It's quite good.Yeah, me too. I don't bother with the PC versions because Civilization IV is really all I need.

I Don't Need A Name
01-06-2007, 05:48 PM
yeah AoK is the best one. 3 was alright, but it was easy and got boring.
i never used the seige workshop. if i came against walls, i wuld just get my huge army to attack it quickly (cos im clever :D )

fantasyjunkie
01-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Age of Kings rules. I did not like the fisrt or 3rd one but man, AoK is really good. I always choose the Brits for the long bows. I love making a long wall and having a force of cavalry to ambush any one foolish enough to bring seige equipment to MY wall! :evilking:

I Don't Need A Name
01-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Age of Kings rules. I did not like the fisrt or 3rd one but man, AoK is really good. I always choose the Brits for the long bows. I love making a long wall and having a force of cavalry to ambush any one foolish enough to bring seige equipment to MY wall! :evilking:

this one has sense!! :D

Mo-Nercy
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM

this one has sense!! :D
Trebuchets and Paladins to guard them would take down the wall easily enough.

I find that in a lot of cases walls weren't really necessary for me. I used to play Teutons (hax~) and I'd just use strategically placed Bombard Towers and Castles to defend my base. Free Murder Holes!

Tavrobel
01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Teutons == auto-win.

I used to play ad the Mongols and the Huns. Faster Siege Weaponry was fun, since Mongols get the movement bonus, and Huns have the Trebuchet fire rate increase. Calvary is almost unstoppable when used correctly.

Well, except aginst the Asia Minor civs.

Pike
01-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree with the general consensus here in the AoK:TC was the best in the series. I like to play as the Britons, mainly because I love having Cavaliers backed by 80+ fully teched Elite Longbowmen and some Trebuchets. My second favorite civ is the Byzantines.

I like the Brits for much the same reason. XD But for some reason I think I end up using the Japanese the most.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is to see if I can advance to all the ages far before anybody else. Usually I succeed, too. XD It's fun to get to Feudal Age a few minutes into the game.

Meat Puppet
01-07-2007, 03:04 PM
I play that game so much at my friend’s house. Age of Empires 2, I mean. He had the expansion, but he lost it later on in life. Now whenever I play I have to pamper all the farms, which gives me sore wrists.

I usually play as the Celts, and I don’t think I have ever won a game.

Pike
01-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I play that game so much at my friend’s house. Age of Empires 2, I mean. He had the expansion, but he lost it later on in life. Now whenever I play I have to pamper all the farms, which gives me sore wrists.

Man... the ability for the farms to be automatically built was like the best part of the expansion. XD (I'm not saying the expansion was bad. I'm saying it was a huge pain to pamper those farms =P)

Lost Number
01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I have finally found a use for the Goth civilisation. Goth vs. Briton = WIN. This has resulted in my second ever win at AoK online.

Kossage
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't played the third game in the series, but I did like Age of Empires and AoE 2. The booklet that came with AoE was fantastic in the way it summarized all the cool stuff about the ancient cultures, and AoE in itself was quite fascinating and really dragged me into its detailed world. The same can be said about AoE 2 too, and I really liked the single player campaigns of both games (and their expansions). The soundtrack was spot on in both games as well, and I enjoyed making maps with the editors. :)

Odaisé Gaelach
01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Age of Empires looks very dated nowadays, especially compared with the 2000 unit battles in Rome: Total War.

Still, it's an amazing game. :love:

Ragna53
01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I did have 2, but I ocasionally play 3, I just find the town level gives more purpose to to just skirmishing for training or fun. They really need more nations in it.

Cecilia
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I really liked Age Of Empires II, the third didn't impress me either. I also like Age Of Mythology a lot.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm still playing my old copy of Age of Empires 2 (with the Conquest expansion). I might have bought the new one, but my good friend told me it ruined the series.

Jess
01-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I have AoE II the Conquerers Expansion and I'm decent at it. It's a pretty fun game.
Last year I downloaded this one onto my laptop and played loads of Online games, which I really enjoyed because it's so much more fun than playing a single game! :jess:

Lost Number
01-13-2007, 01:33 PM
The first match resulting from this thread is over. Lost Number vs. Old Manus. Old Manus wins, but only because I had to quit. I had him on the very brink of defeat. And I have the replay to prove it!

Everyone, Manus uses HUGE amount of cavalry. Just a word to the wise;)

rih29
01-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I was always an avid fan of the original AoE game.

Old Manus
01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
My cavalry can beat up your cavalry etc

Lost Number
01-13-2007, 09:59 PM
My cavalry can beat up your cavalry etc

But my combined Halberdiers, Heavy Camels, and Elite Cataphracts beat up your cavalry.

ShunNakamura
01-14-2007, 09:29 AM
But my combined Halberdiers, Heavy Camels, and Elite Cataphracts beat up your cavalry.

Yeah, using pure cav/inf against the Byzantines is far from wise. For Cavalry they got the two best counters at a very cheap cost. In addition Cataphracts are very good units all around[particually since one of the few units that most players get that can beat a cataphract 1v1 is the paladin, but you got camels and halbs fro those guys). And for those who don't know the Cats mostly cancel out the damage bonus from most anti cav units(Camels and mams for example basically have no bonus against the cats, and the halb really gets its bonus slashed, Cats are P-O-W-E-R-F-U-L; just don't send them 1v1 vs paladins).

Tavrobel
01-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Cataphracts < most Cavalry

However, there is a small chance that Teutonic Knights will survive the fight, but nothing else will. BTW Manus, mass Cavalry = fail. Halbs/Camels/CavArchers will rip you to shreds. Lost, when you see this, send me the replay. There must be at least ten anti-Cavalry civilizations, if you include their bonuses or their own, better Cavalry.

Lost Number
01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Tavrobel, contact me via MSN or email, i will send the replay gladly. However, fair play to Manus, he DID manage, in our replay, to switch from using massed cavalry (Japanese Cavaliers against Spanish Paladins, poor ickle Manus...) to combining his samurai, cavaliers, champions and halberdiers.

Anyone who can think of an effective counter for this, please tell me.

ShunNakamura
01-14-2007, 10:36 PM
to combining his samurai, cavaliers, champions and halberdiers.

Hand cannoneers with a pike shield may help. Hand Cannons get bonuses vs infantry and the pike wall will keep the Cavaliers from getting to you. Some heavy Scorpions may also be good if you got them.

In addition to pikes you may want to put in some champs of your own.

So Hand Cannons with pikes/champs and maybe some Heavy Scorps if you got them.

This of course rest on you being able to make hand cannons. If no hand cannons Heavy Scorps + pikes/champs could also work.

Paladins can also act as a shield if you like, but if there are a heck of a lot of Halbs I would stay away from them.

Malboro_Menace
01-14-2007, 11:28 PM
My cosuin has this game and I've never seen him lose a game. He just rushes people with the British longbowmen.

I have Age of Mythology and love/ed that. Its been ages since I've actually played it but when I did I was pretty good.

Norse FTW.

Tavrobel
01-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Tavrobel, contact me via MSN or email, i will send the replay gladly.

However, fair play to Manus, he DID manage, in our replay, to switch from using massed cavalry (Japanese Cavaliers against Spanish Paladins, poor ickle Manus...) to combining his samurai, cavaliers, champions and halberdiers.

I'll get around to it.

Hand Cannoneers/Conquistadores and Halberdiers, as Shun said. If your Conquistadores get hit, they'll fall almost instantly because of the Samurai ability to completely own other Uniques (except Jaguar Warriors). You could also mass Monks/Missionaries, because Spain has most (if not all) of the Religion upgrades.

Old Manus
01-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Oi, my massed cavalry beat your haberdiers, camels, and cataphracts time and time again!

Lost Number
01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Oi, my massed cavalry beat your haberdiers, camels, and cataphracts time and time again!

Thats because first time, I just sent in my units to ambush your hiding paladins as i saw them, which was patently stupid.
Second time, you interrupted me while i was building my forward base, to BUILD my army.
Third time, cost for cost I kicked arse, and left you with 8 paladins or so and feck all gold.
Thanks for the tips guys, i'll keep manus on his toes.

ShunNakamura
01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Out of curiosity are you guys playing via Gamepark.eu or something else? In case you didn't guess I have been playing on Gamepark :P.

Lost Number
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
We are playing directly via IP.

fantasyjunkie
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Been playing AoK and the expansion for years and never got tired of it.

Lost Number
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I have decided to adopt a different strategy. I will mass produce units which cost me no gold, ie. halberdiers and skirmishers, which are very cheap and effectively free on a Black Forest map and use these to cause some damage to his gold costing units and stone costing buildings.
Whever I reckon he no longer has the stone to replenish his buildings, I will build your proposed conquistador/halberdier/champion army with missionary backup, and kick arse.
Or maybe I wont. What do you think, Manus? Kekeke.
Also, how about organizing a game with several EoFF players? More the merrier.

Vision in Verse
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I've been playing AOC for a while now. I'm pretty good at it. At least I win more than I lose. I'd like to play with some of you. By the way, where can I get GamePark? I usually play on GameSpyArcade.

ShunNakamura
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I have decided to adopt a different strategy. I will mass produce units which cost me no gold, ie. halberdiers and skirmishers, which are very cheap and effectively free on a Black Forest map and use these to cause some damage to his gold costing units and stone costing buildings.

The problem is you would always have to outnumber him[Sams can beat both halbs and skirms, champs also can, his halbs beat your halbs, and even caviliers might be able to beat both[I know paladins can, but I never make big use of Caviliers]. Which may not be possible since it is easy for both players to be hitting the 200 pop limit. But of course Trash unit spaming can be very effective when done right. I just don't think the trash would be overly effective on this army. The problem is trash lacks a good infantry counter(which Conqs and hand cannoneers provide) so you have to beat infantry by numbers or hope you can take enough down by focus firing your skirms. To compound the problem Japanesse infantry is superior to yours. Thus you want to avoid an infantry war. You do this by making a unit wall with ranged units behind it.

If you want to waste his gold. Forward building Towers(particually bombard towers) and Castles is useful when done right[ie- with proper unit support, in this case the defenses would make an all trash army like you suggested more effective on his army], but that will burn your stone down fast.

Whever I reckon he no longer has the stone to replenish his buildings, I will build your proposed conquistador/halberdier/champion army with missionary backup, and kick arse.

Do recall though that your set up is more vulnerable to trash units than his is. His halbs beat your halbs. Conqs are weak to both skirms and halbs(if I recall right). And do recall that even in late post imp it is possible to get enough gold to mass some cheap gold units.

Ex. I had a game that went about 4 or so real life hours(not sure how many ingame hours that is on fast) and even though there was no gold left on the map I was able to constantly produce a good 40'ish gold units as fast or faster than they could be killed. Market trading + relics can easily produce enough gold for that. And in Multiplayer as long as you have your trade route secured you should rarely or never be short on gold.

In addition in that game I was a defense whore and I never did want for stone[Market trading again, though that means you have to make VERY good use of your stone]

Also, how about organizing a game with several EoFF players? More the merrier.

I for the most part am on Gamepark with the ID of ShunWolfkin, though I don't get on much during the week or saturdays(homework and college wouldn't ya know).

Anyways I wouldn't mind playing a game or two, but my age times have gone downhill after taking a several year break from the game(not to mention my microing skills are kinda bleh now. Partial cause I don't remember all the hot-keys, etc).

@Vision in Verse
Gamepark is just http://www.gamepark.eu/en/

Lost Number
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I know my trash army wont win, but its not really supposed to. Since this is a 1v1 game, no trade, and its very easy for me to just send in piles of halbs and skirms without thought, i simply get a half dozen barracks and archery ranges mass producing and sending them straight to the fight. Any gods man, I really dont want to fight you, i'd lose hands down uness you gave me a 20 minute head start. Also, I am fairly sure Conqs are just as effective against skirms as anything else, because of the large damage which leaves them still effective in the numbers I have them. The advantage of the current map is that it is very easy to bottleneck an opponent with short sections of walls backed up by bombard towers (and conqs dont hurt either). Stone is very short on this map. Wish me luck.

ShunNakamura
01-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I know my trash army wont win, but its not really supposed to.
Just waste his gold is the point of course. However, I have seen a max pop gold unit army plow down a trash army with few casulties. The gold army even managed to hit the trashers econ. Doesn't matter how cheap those units are if your econ gets hit you won't be able to keep up production wise. That was more or less what I was warning against. In a BF map it is harder to hit the econ than some others, but the example battle was on the BF map.

So basicaly what I am saying is that if he can amass a max pop gold army he may be able to get through to your econ. Though it would be costly to him(but having your econ damaged may make up for that in your opponents eyes).

Since this is a 1v1 game, no trade, and its very easy for me to just send in piles of halbs and skirms without thought
Market trade(selling one type for another) can easily score plenty of gold for a gold army even in late game if you got a strong econ.

I had a 4 hour(Real life time, not in game time) game that was an FFA where I still had heavily gold dependant army. Purely thanks to market trading(selling resources that I don't need). I also never ran low on stone. Markets are great.

I really dont want to fight you, i'd lose hands down uness you gave me a 20 minute head start.
I wouldn't be so sure. I got the theory down, but I am slow in game. Bad micro leads to bad age times. I think my fastest fuedal since I started playing again is 10-11 minutes or somesuch[with standard resources]. which isn't great, though it works as passable. Too bad my average is more like 13 minutes. Castle takes me around 20 minutes, and imperial about 33 minutes. Which is of about rook[maybe bad rook] level if I recall right.

Also, I am fairly sure Conqs are just as effective against skirms as anything else, because of the large damage which leaves them still effective in the numbers I have them.
Well I was purely talking about that in that skirms have an attack bonus against conqs if my memory serves. And you don't have an attack boost vs. skirms. However, you are right in that they do enough damage that conqs can win 1v1(at least last I checked conqs could).

The advantage of the current map is that it is very easy to bottleneck an opponent with short sections of walls backed up by bombard towers (and conqs dont hurt either). Stone is very short on this map. Wish me luck.

Well if it is a BF map just beware a cut.

And good luck :D.

Edit- Another tip on trash army. Make sure you are always on the offensive with it. Attack his base. This will make it less likely that a charge could break you line and get to your econ. Try to keep battle as far away from you as possible. Build foward Barracks and Archery ranges if you haven't.

Old Manus
01-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Public Service Announcement: Never allow wonders when playing against Lost Number. I was minutes away from victory.

Sergeant Hartman
01-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Public Service Announcement: Never allow wonders when playing against Lost Number. I was minutes away from victory.
I'll have to remember that one.

Lost Number
01-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Now the match is over, with me winning, i want to tell you everything, rather than what I could say.
My plot for a while was to build a wonder. My main idea was to fool Manus into thinking I was trying to occupy him while my one relic got me gold. Via selling my wood and food I got the gold and stone I need to wall off a space for it. The space was also made out of reclaimed forest. My army of bombards, trebs, champions, missionaries and conquistadores defended it. I also found a use for the villagers - they are, for the spanish with supremacy, the ultimate trash unit. Plus the psychological effect of having the gate which I had been sending my trash army (my aim wasnt to leech his gold, he had 4 relics) against for a considerable time destroyed by my villagers was probably more effective. He did indeed try to cut me, the first was spotted when i tailed a villager, the second arrived too late for my wonder victory, but could well have caused havoc against my forward defences. The disadvantage of the black forest maps are that, in 1v1, they often leave it so that you are bottlenecked once or even twice. In ours, we had both sealed off bottlenecks (mines with bombard towers, his with Keeps and Castles) leaving no mans land in between. There was little outright confrontation in this game, unlike the mass battles we had during our first match, and Manus is downright furious that I used a wonder.
*phew*. I have terrible aging times, generally, so i dont stand much hope against more experienced players. But I would love to try you, even if it wouldnt last past castle age.
EDIT: Manus is just fed up because he thought he set the game to conquest only and therefore didnt act til it was already up.
Hartman, any time.

Sergeant Hartman
01-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Hartman, any time.
I'll have to try after a few glasses of wine.

Elite Lord Sigma
01-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I know I have Age of Kings somewhere. I'll need to go find it when I get a chance.

Also, have any of you played Age of Mythology?

Tavrobel
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Wow, Lost, you automatically fail for building a Wonder as a means of victory. Seriously. Play like a man. It shouldn't take too much to beat Manus with trash armies, anyways. But it's better to see Manus lose.

As for replays, I can't get them because I don't have MSN, but if you have an ancient AIM account, I can get it from there. I'd play you myself, but I no longer have my CDs in my possession.

Lost Number
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
FFS, Age of Empires is a strategy game, and AS SUCH I can use strategy. Its not considered cheating to cut down trees in black forest, so i dont see why I get stick. Manus just failed because he didnt have the skill to attack my base.

Old Manus
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I needed another 10 minutes and your ass was going down :( I had my troops ready and everything

Lost Number
01-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Urgh, you git, Manus. Mayans versus Goths. My towers, archers, castles, all fell to :skull::skull::skull::skull: on his huskarls. My last minute eagle warrior attack was fun though.

Tavrobel
01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
FFS, Age of Empires is a strategy game, and AS SUCH I can use strategy. Its not considered cheating to cut down trees in black forest, so i dont see why I get stick. Manus just failed because he didnt have the skill to attack my base.

Trees are perfectly valid to cut or use at your whim. It's the Wonder I disapprove of.

ShunNakamura
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Urgh, you git, Manus. Mayans versus Goths. My towers, archers, castles, all fell to :skull::skull::skull::skull: on his huskarls. My last minute eagle warrior attack was fun though.

Wait... they are complaining because you used a wonder victory against the goths when you were mayans?

Goths vs Mayans is an unholy matchup. The mayans have almost no easy way to counter them.

I don't care how many archers you have Huskarl can just walk all over them(well you can do the out micro thing with hit and running but that is tough with foot archers(actually, are plummies faster than huskarl? I never tried that before)).

As mayans your only real chance to win in military vs an equally skilled player is to have archer and siege[I think mayans get heavy scorps... and they can be used against just about anything] support with Eagle Warriors[I think an El Dorado Eagle warrior can beat a huskie one on one, the problem is huskies are produced 3 times as fast and are only half the gold cost... that and the eagle warrior doesn't win by much].

Therefor, one should in such a situation hole themselves up and wait for reinforcements(if in a team game), hole up and wait for gold to run out(since you can at least fight the halbs on semi-even ground), or hole up and try for another kind of victory.

Thus a Wonder Victory was a good choice in that setup.
*applauds Lost Number*

Tavrobel
01-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I think this is a different matchup, Shun. The Wonder game was before this game, I perceive it to be. Doesn't seem like Lost is gloating happily about Mayans/Goths, since he was probably Mayans.

Huskarls are still faster than Plummed Archers, but not by a whle lot; you could easily consider them the same speed. Huskarls < Eagles, though. Mayans have access to the entire Siege techtree, except cannons (duh), which means they have Maxed Scorpions and Maxed Onagers.

Even with El Dorado, a Mayan Elite Eagle Warrior cannot defeat an Elite Huskarl one on one, unless he got in an extra hit, or they were both not elite (and even then, winnared). However, Perfusion and Anarchy, the two Gothic uniques, make them train faster and at barracks; but without them, Huskarls are roughtly the same speed as Halberdiers, maybe a bit slower. No cavalry is good game versus Goths, since Goths even have cannon-ness-age-ish-nisch.

Also, Perfusion only applies to Barracks units, I believe. Castle Huskarls do not get the Perfusion bonus, only Conscription. Besides the Villager, Perfused/Conscripted Huskarls are the fastest made unit in the entire game at the barracks. Mayans don't have Champions, but they do have Halberdiers, which makes for a good trash army.

That's 20 (team bonus +20 to barracks) + 50 (Perfusion) + 15 (Conscription) percent training speed, versus the Castle's 15%. And worst of all, they are CHEAP, as is Anarchy and Perfusion, compared to some other uniques I could name.

How a Mayan would win against a Goths, I'll never know. Britons, maybe, since they have the range to outlast, but not Mayans. Alternatively, the Mayans and the Aztecs can take advantage of their religion, which last I checked, has close to full. Everything that one needs, perhaps except Herbal medicine.

EDIT: The Mayans do not have Redemption (Monks convert buildings), Siege Onagers, or Illumination (50% mana regeneration for Priests). Goths lack the ever important technology, Heresy. Even with Faith, Goths will fall like bricks on a sock at uncle Jeb's house, with rare beef and a spork.

ShunNakamura
01-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I think this is a different matchup, Shun. The Wonder game was before this game, I perceive it to be. Doesn't seem like Lost is gloating happily about Mayans/Goths, since he was probably Mayans.

Hmm... I took it as he was gloating because he pulled an upset win(after all as noted the goths vs mayans is a mismatch). Maybe I was wrong.

Huskarls are still faster than Plummed Archers, but not by a whle lot; you could easily consider them the same speed.
hmm.. well shows you how much I play mayans I thought their plummie was slightly faster than average foot units(though maybe huskies are too).

which means they have Maxed Scorpions and Maxed Onagers. Which is really the mayan's only chance against a goth.

Even with El Dorado, a Mayan Elite Eagle Warrior cannot defeat an Elite Huskarl one on one, unless he got in an extra hit, or they were both not elite (and even then, winnared).
That is odd, I could have sworn that I read a test some where that showed that EEW's would come on top with a few hp's to spare. Hmm.. Now I am going to have to test this.

However, Perfusion and Anarchy, the two Gothic uniques, make them train faster and at barracks; but without them, Huskarls are roughtly the same speed as Halberdiers, maybe a bit slower. No cavalry is good game versus Goths, since Goths even have cannon-ness-age-ish-nisch.

I am not sure on speed, but I recall reading that EEW's are 15second units and the Huskarl are around 5second units(with all upgrades of course). Making the Huskie one of the fastest produced units in the game.

How a Mayan would win against a Goths, I'll never know.
Actually when I read about the mismatch I did some search in strategy archives. Which is where most of my info that I gave in my last post came from. I don't really play goths or Mayans so I had to look elsewhere for the info to get some advice for it. The combo that I mentioned was just about the best anyone could come up with. Afterall you can't win with massed halbs(after all, the goths could make them faster), so you have to find some way to beat back the horde. Seige(scorps), EEW's, and archer support(for the champs that usually accompany the huskies, or for any cav they might have, the EEW's server a couple options... they can go toe to toe(though you lose out cost effectively there) at least semi effectively with huskies and they can attack the siege if the goths build any.

Britons, maybe, since they have the range to outlast, but not Mayans.
Britons also have champs and cavs(cavaliers if I recall right) which can REALLY help against the huskies.

Alternatively, the Mayans and the Aztecs can take advantage of their religion, which last I checked, has close to full. Everything that one needs, perhaps except Herbal medicine.
*smacks head* Monks... yes they could be handy. Though this would make me feel the lack of monk bonuses that the aztecs have.

As a note, what types of matches are these? Are they Post-Imp? If so the mayan-goth was a real mismatch. But if it was a Black forest Standard(dark age) start then mayan's can beat goths(flushing and the like, can't let the goths get to imperial... and ideally you would keep him out of castle).

Old Manus
01-19-2007, 10:38 PM
The wonder victory was Japanese (me) vs Spanish. I'm still seething!

ShunNakamura
01-19-2007, 10:50 PM
I see. Heh, more understandable then. Particually since the Spanish have the advantage against the Japanese(both Conqs and Hand Cannoneers have infantry bonuses. That and if I recall in the 1.0c patch(not sure if it was there before the patch) the Spanish have faster firing Bombard Cannons and Hand Cannoneers[or at least it says that in the Civ info screen].

Anyways I just tested the Gothic Elite Huskarl vs Mayanic Elite Eagle Warrior. Both fully upgraded. The winner was......

Neither. It is a complete toss up. Whoever is lucky enough the first hit wins. Therefor, EEW's can be a non-cost effective way to fight Huskies. However, at least you got something that can fight them.

Tavrobel
01-20-2007, 01:14 AM
hmm.. well shows you how much I play mayans I thought their plummie was slightly faster than average foot units(though maybe huskies are too).

Plummed Archers are faster than Archera, but Huskarls are affected by infantry walkspeed bonus, and are faster. At Castle Age, they are equal, but Huskarls come out on top, even if they only barely win a race across the largest type map.

I am not sure on speed, but I recall reading that EEW's are 15second units and the Huskarl are around 5second units(with all upgrades of course). Making the Huskie one of the fastest produced units in the game.

It's more like 12 versus 4. Still 3:1, but that second makes a difference, especially x5.

Britons also have champs and cavs(cavaliers if I recall right) which can REALLY help against the huskies.

They also have Champions, but no Bloodlines for the HP boost on Cavaliers.

*smacks head* Monks... yes they could be handy. Though this would make me feel the lack of monk bonuses that the aztecs have.

Yeah, the Mayans lack Monk civ bonuses, and lack two upgrades.

As a note, what types of matches are these? Are they Post-Imp? If so the mayan-goth was a real mismatch. But if it was a Black forest Standard(dark age) start then mayan's can beat goths(flushing and the like, can't let the goths get to imperial... and ideally you would keep him out of castle).[/QUOTE]

They seem to be non Imperial.

I see. Heh, more understandable then. Particually since the Spanish have the advantage against the Japanese(both Conqs and Hand Cannoneers have infantry bonuses. That and if I recall in the 1.0c patch(not sure if it was there before the patch) the Spanish have faster firing Bombard Cannons and Hand Cannoneers[or at least it says that in the Civ info screen].

Conquistadores get two attacks that spiral outward and bonus against infantry. The Spanish actual attack time is not much faster (but still faster); however, the most important part is that their animation times are cut into a third of the time. This affects Bombards, CGalleons, and BTowers (but don't quote me on the last one).

Lost Number
01-20-2007, 01:47 PM
In the Spanish/Japanese Match, I was suffering badly from shortages of gold and stone, and selling food and wood for 17 gold can be bad, even with large armies of villagers. I decided the effective way to win past Manus' large defences (towers, walls, castles, no bombarbs though) would be to not attack them. Since for some unknown reason my trebs couldnt cut trees, a wonder victory seemed ideal, since I could easily move into the no-mans land to stop or forsee and attack. But i was unwilling to use m expensive bombard cannons against his still evident cavaliers.

For the Mayan/Goth game, Manus had set it to conquest only. It was full random, civilisation, map, everything. Highland map. I did, sensibly enough, attempt to build EEW en masse, but unfortunately, not nearly fast enough. I didnt even have Hev. Scorps researched by the time he attacked. And he used a pure huskarl forces cept for two trebs to bash down a gate.