PDA

View Full Version : why I don't trust doctors...

BardTard
01-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I had my check-up today (I'm epileptic, meaning, I have seizures) and first of all, the doctor was late as usual, by like an hour... so I was just waiting in there forever and almost fell asleep. But anywho.

The real rant. The reason I'm posting this. When I was finished with the check-up the doctor mentioned an EEG (electroencephologram... or something... it's a brain scan). Well, I'm not doing it. Wanna know why?

BECAUSE HERE IS PROOF DOCTORS ARE DUMBASSES:

The last time I had an EEG, I almost had a seizure. Almost=my body started jerking and my head felt funny and I was confused, and my mom watched me and flipped out. Why did this happen? Because the doctors put a strobe light in front of me, which if you don't know, is hazardous to epileptic people. Why did they do this? They wanted to see if it would bother me or not. To do the EEG, I have to do weird stuff, like close my eyes and not be asleep, and then fall asleep, and then wake up and relax, and answer questions so they know I'm alright... so to be able to fall asleep during the EEG, I have to stay up the night before.

In case you don't know this too, sleep deprivation is also more likely to cause seizures. So putting a strobe light in front of an epileptic person just to see if it would bother them is... not helping any. Definitely stupid. Of course it's going to bother me. It's as if they're going out of their way to give me a seizure, because the last time I had a seizure was about 4 years ago maybe. If I had a bottomless bottle of Topomax (medication I take to control seizures) and didn't have to get refills or go to check ups or have brain scans, my life would be completely normal.

Sorry, I just had to rant about that. I don't understand why they have to be so dumb... like... what's the purpose of an EEG? Are they trying to kill me? Also just thought I'd warn anybody else who's epileptic about how incredibly dumb this is.

Megami
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, once I had a health problem that bothered me for 2 nights, I visited 3 doctors, only the 3rd helped me.

Some doctors are just..not good.

But nobody is perfect and they don't know everything.. I guess :confused:

BardTard
01-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, once I had a health problem that bothered me for 2 nights, I visited 3 doctors, only the 3rd helped me.

Some doctors are just..not good.

But nobody is perfect and they don't know everything.. I guess :confused:

They should at least have the common sense to not put a strobe light in front of an epileptic person who is sleep deprived. I mean, they are doctors. That's sort of along the lines of giving a box of chocolates to a diabetic person with no insulin.

Little Blue
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
From what I've seen though (note, I'm no medical expert, just someone with a tv), this is a major issue on the whole anyway. Doctors need to find what the trigger is to know what the cause is. I don't know your medical history, but was you a known epileptic before your first eeg or only a suspected epileptic?

Similar things happen (or used to happen a few years ago) with diabetics. They have to drink a litre of sugar solution and wait a bit to see if the body deals with the sugar like it should. Yet too much sugar in a diabetics blood can be fatal.

Hell, even vacinations could be called backward logic. The injection of sometimes live viruses or bacterium into ones body so that the immune system can build a defense against them. My mum had the flu jab this year and a week later she fell ill with mild flu symptoms.

I guess its just the fact that medics aren't mind readers / all knowing miracle worker and need proof of stuff that isn't that easy to prove otherwise... Also, doctors do make mistakes, but they do usually try to help so don't hold it against them. (unless they're murderous or imbeciles :p)

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't mind doctors. It's dentists I don't trust. They always try to give me a filling.

Bunny
01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I haven't been to a doctor or dentist since 1969.

Roto13
01-04-2007, 09:17 PM
From what I've seen though (note, I'm no medical expert, just someone with a tv), this is a major issue on the whole anyway. Doctors need to find what the trigger is to know what the cause is. I don't know your medical history, but was you a known epileptic before your first eeg or only a suspected epileptic?

Similar things happen (or used to happen a few years ago) with diabetics. They have to drink a litre of sugar solution and wait a bit to see if the body deals with the sugar like it should. Yet too much sugar in a diabetics blood can be fatal.

Hell, even vacinations could be called backward logic. The injection of sometimes live viruses or bacterium into ones body so that the immune system can build a defense against them. My mum had the flu jab this year and a week later she fell ill with mild flu symptoms.

I guess its just the fact that medics aren't mind readers / all knowing miracle worker and need proof of stuff that isn't that easy to prove otherwise... Also, doctors do make mistakes, but they do usually try to help so don't hold it against them. (unless they're murderous or imbeciles :p)

Yup yup.

Avarice-ness
01-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Speaking as a person who went to doctors all my life and now do my best to avoid them even if it means my demise..

The doctors have to test what level your epilepsy is, regardless if it seems retarded, they have to see (*points up to duality*) what triggers it. The strobe prolly has different levels and each level determins what the severity your epilepsy ranks on. It's not that they didn't know what they were doing (because there most likely was a nuerologist in the room and not just idiotic nurses) it's the fact that you do have a disorder that -can- change do another level. One day a fast strobe may trigger it, the next a strobe flashing every 2 seconds can trigger it.

From my own experience of doctors doing -everything- to see what's going on, I had caught Mono and had it for about 6 months (Yay crappy immune system~) it took 5 blood tests and a bruised arm that I couldn't move for a while with out pain setting in to realize EVERY TIME IT SAID NEGATIVE IT WAS A -FALSE- NEGATIVE. But they kept testing to make sure because they didn't want to tell me I had mono with out a positive in my blood work. They have to check -every- possible venture to get the best diagnoses.

Look at it this way, if you have a seizure in the doctors office, how bad can it be, You're already at the doctors! :razz:

Sergeant Hartman
01-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Down with strobe lights!

theundeadhero
01-04-2007, 10:22 PM
My doctor always tells me to drink water, take ibuprofein (like I know how to spell <i>that!</i>), and walk it off, no matter what the problem is. Awesome, huh. I live in a world where they discourage going to the doctor when your sick unless you're dying and can't get to them yourself. So, I've been tired, cold, sick, and achy, along with wet at work, for three days now.

BardTard
01-05-2007, 12:29 AM

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 11. The last time I had an EEG they were well aware of my epilepsy, I was 15 or 16 then, and I've had 5 seizures before. The causes of them were bright crappy computers that I have to turn the contrast and brightness all the way down (3 times), a really flashy episode of Sailor Moon and Quistis's Degenerator. I had a seizure but hey I won! :D I was 11 when I had my first seizure and 12/13 when I had the others, and I'm 17 now, so it's been a while since I had a seizure. They know I'm epileptic and not just suspected epileptic, and if something as simple as typing on a computer and using Degenerator gives me a seizure, then it's likely a strobe light will. Especially when I'm sleep deprived.

Look at it this way, if you have a seizure in the doctors office, how bad can it be, You're already at the doctors! :razz:

It actually wouldn't make any difference. Medical attention isn't required unless it's the first time a person has a seizure, or the person is pregnant, or it's an injury-induced seizure, or stuff like that. Like, if I just have a seizure from a strobe light I don't need any attention when I wake up from it. Whenever I wake up I'm really tired and start crying cus I get freaked out (seizures are really scary) and then my mom helps me get to my bed cus I have no energy and my legs feel really weak and I need to lay down. So it doesn't matter where I'd be at, really. I'd rather be at home than the doctor's office, to be honest.

-N-
01-05-2007, 12:39 AM
You guys are right. You should never go to the doctor.

Hopefully now I won't have to wait as long when I go to the doctorstfu kant

LimitBreaker
01-05-2007, 12:44 AM
i hate them they send you a message saying please come early so i do and the people who signed in last, for some reason go first. once i waited for hours and when i went in then out. :mad2:

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-05-2007, 12:53 AM
i hate them they send you a message saying please come early so i do and the people who signed in last, for some reason go first. once i waited for hours and when i went in then out. :mad2:

same here

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-05-2007, 01:32 AM
They just want your money 90% of the time.

Roto13
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM
They just want your money 90% of the time.And everyone else you have to pay. What's your point?

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Some people are unaware of this.

Roto13
01-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Some people are unaware of this.
Well, those people wouldn't understand it if you explained it to them anyway.

- - - TAURUS - - -
01-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Whatever

-N-
01-06-2007, 03:56 AM
lol debate

T-MaN
01-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Well, doctors do make some mistakes, but cut them some slack you know? Without any doctors, most of us would probably be...well, let's just hope you get the point. One suggestion that you should keep in mind, is to at least get 2nd opinions from other doctors. Some of these people are fresh of Medical School, and they are not exactly the most trustworthy people concerning any serious medical decisions. Maybe the next time you get treated to something new, ask the doctor on the procedures that will be taken during the experiment. Tell them about your medications, and any problems you feel you might have. If you don't trust the doctor, go see a new one.
As for the waiting line, suck it up, we all have to deal with it. Doctors require rest, and if they are an hour late for a simple non-life threatening check-up, then why make a fuss? Sure your time is killed, but I'd rather have a doctor who is fully awake rather than a drowsy one making tons of mistakes.

mooglebunni608
01-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I'm kind of P.O.'d because my docter perscribed me these pills for my stomach, and they worked for a while, but they made me eat a lot and gain weight like CRAZY! I went up about 20 pounds in 3 or 4 monthes!
And then the pills started to backfire!
And I stopped taking them, but I still can't stop eating.

Shlup
01-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Who is dumber: The doctor for testing your epileptic triggers or you for throwing up a fuss about it? Epilepsy isn't a cookie-cutter disorder--it has to be tested in each individual to figure out triggers, intensity, and what kind of seizures you're having. There are at least a dozen kinds of seizures with unlimited intensities and probably unlimited triggers too.

BardTard
01-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Who is dumber: The doctor for testing your epileptic triggers or you for throwing up a fuss about it? Epilepsy isn't a cookie-cutter disorder--it has to be tested in each individual to figure out triggers, intensity, and what kind of seizures you're having. There are at least a dozen kinds of seizures with unlimited intensities and probably unlimited triggers too.

In response to your question, the doctor. If it were you you'd be just as pissed about this as I am. After what almost happened the last time, how could he even bring it up again?

As for testing it out for triggers and intensity, I pretty much can find that out on my own without any help from doctors and I have the common sense to stop what I'm doing if I feel funny. There's no need to keep testing me now. I know what bothers me and how it will bother me. It's just absolutely senseless to stay up all night and then go to the doctor's and be put in front of a strobe light to find out what I already know. Again.

yumi
01-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I work with doctors and yes most of them are clueless. I have to tell the SHO's what to do and I'm still a student

When my brother goes to see the doctor they try to give him a cardiac arrest to check his deffribilator implant is working properly... i've alwys thought this was a bit dodgey.

:kaoyatta: