PDA

View Full Version : Levelling Up

Doc Sark
01-05-2007, 01:35 AM
Where's a good place to level up for Level 13's? I'm desperately trying to get my THF up to 15 and then push on to the subjob quest so I can incorporate the MNK in me. :p

I'm hearing a lot of people saying Valkrum Dunes but I have difficulties finding a party there due to the fact most will choose a similarly levelled WAR over me. Wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

Del Murder
01-05-2007, 03:50 AM
I've never levelled anywhere but Dunes for 13-19. There are some other places but you really need to get a group going before you venture there. Just solo on Easy Preys in the areas outside the Dunes while looking for a party. You could also try starting your own. At 13 you can still get decent exp soloing.

Luc
01-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, try getting your THF to 15 by fighting pretty easy mobs. You're best bet from there is to go to Valkurm from 15-20, then Qufim to 24 or 25. I hear a lot of people have problems getting parties for THF before 15, but I never did. Guess I just got lucky.

Yeargdribble
01-05-2007, 03:56 PM
A subless THF has the least to offer a PT of almost every combination of jobs from 10-15. It's nigh impossible to get invites other than a PT just wanting to fill a spot (or a pity invite, which I used to give a lot of time subless THFs when leveling in the dunes lol).

You didn't mention your nation of origin, but if it's Sandy, you will find that Fort Ghelsba is a soloer's paradise as far as layout goes. I took many of my jobs to 15 or higher there. I'd suggest that whenever you have a job at around 6, try to sneak past the Orcs at the entrance (they are harder than the ones inside) and go XP just inside. There are plenty of mobs and they become progressively more difficult as you climb higher.

For a THF, once you've hit 15, you are one of the better DDs in the dunes. The game can be considerably frustrating to start out. They seem to want to make the beginning as uninviting as possible. Stick it out though, and it'll get much better. Once you have your subjob and chocobo, things will perk up and you can look forward to things like the airship pass etc. ^^

Doc Sark
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. As it happens I got a pity invite in the dunes ;) and now I'm nearly there, they let me pull for all the use I was doing it! I took your advice Del Murder and levelled around the La Theine Plateau for a bit, which is where I got picked up.

I'm in Bastok, Yeargsdribble but I quite like the walk across to San D'Oria so I'll check out Fort Ghelsba, thanks for suggesting it. I know I get Sneak Attack when I hit 15, so I'm hoping I'll be much more useful after that. I've been levelling my Monk for when I do get the Subjob though.

Fuego
01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't forget ... worms in korroloka tunnel out of bastok .... from 15-20 its like the nice version of the dunes (hardly any aggro, if you know how to get where ur goin') ... then qufim from 20-25 ... less friendly (only because of the wights and banshees) XD

Yeargdribble
01-05-2007, 10:13 PM
If you're planning to go THF/MNK for a while I suggest using H2H weapons. The next best alternative would be Sword. Probably best to avoid daggers until you're 33 and can use Viper Bite.

Also, considering you're new, I suggest taking a loooooot of screenshots with a program like Fraps. If you end up playing the game for a really long time, you'll look back one day and be glad to have so many pictures of when you just started. The ocassional trips down memory lane are wonderful.

Lionx
01-07-2007, 06:29 AM
http://monsters.ffxi-atlas.com/camps.php

Yeargdribble
01-07-2007, 09:14 AM
While their guide is nice for finding a spot to level up if you make a PT or have a LS static, keep in mind that putting your flag up in those areas won't work.

If you want a random invite you pretty much have to go where the most people go normally.

Normal XP spots will be Valkrum (10-20), Qufim (20-25), Yuhtunga (25-28ish), Yhoator (28ish-32ish), Garlaige Citadel (32ish-37ish), Crawler's Nest (35ish-infinity)

There's a little overalp there. Basically it just means you need to seek in a handful of places.

Valkurm->Qufim/Jeuno->Kazham/Yuhtunga/Yhoator/Jeuno->Jeuno

Once you're through the Jungles, you can pretty much seek in Jeuno forever, or move to Aht Urghan a little later. By the time you need to be LFP somewhere other than Jeuno, you'll know enough about the game to do so on your own.

Del Murder
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
..unless you're a tank job then you can be in San d'Oria with an underlevelled THF sub and still get non-lfp invites.

Doc Sark
01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
If you're planning to go THF/MNK for a while I suggest using H2H weapons. The next best alternative would be Sword. Probably best to avoid daggers until you're 33 and can use Viper Bite.

I'm using Sword at the moment because it stacks well with Sneak Attack, but I've only gone for THF/MNK purely because out of the jobs available to me at the mo, it seemed the most appropriate choice. Are there any other THF combos that work well?

Don't forget ... worms in korroloka tunnel out of bastok .... from 15-20 its like the nice version of the dunes (hardly any aggro, if you know how to get where ur goin') ... then qufim from 20-25 ... less friendly (only because of the wights and banshees) XD

I might check out Kooroloka as it's nice and close. Is there anything down there I should look out for in terms of aggro? I could do without being chased by bats ala Valkrum Dunes!

Lionx
01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
THF/MNK gains martial arts, and the difference in skill is not noticable until higher levels with h2h, so if you do sub MNK always use H2h, SA Combo also stacks(although only first hit). I prefer sword though due to skillchain combinations...THF/BRD inside valkurm is probably not that bad an idea also, once outside ditch it. THF/DRG and /RNG 20 til 30 is also awesome, /DRG with Jump/ATK Bonus, and /RNG for Acc Bonus and /ra WS(if you got it skilled). Afterwards /WAR is probably best until 50 where /NIN is debatble with /WAR, OR if theres fast running mobs where you can actually put Utsusemi for use.

Koroloka: anything on the bottom of the stairs XD Probably aggros.

Yeargdribble
01-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Being as it's your first job, the most viable subs are MNK and WAR. You will probably run into a lot of people expecting you to be THF/NIN, especially after 30.

If you have the patience, it's worth taking DRG and RNG to 15 to future subjobs. As lionx mentioned, these are great between 20 and 30. /DRG is a little better for 2h weapon wielders than /RNG, but they are both excellent, though most people just /WAR on any melee job.