PDA

View Full Version : naming characters

BardTard
01-05-2007, 02:38 AM
What I wanna do is make video games, and the hardest thing to do next to coming up with storylines is naming the characters. The storyline I have now, I really want to give the characters fitting names, like names that would describe their personality, or something. So if you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate it if you would tell me what you think of these characters just based on names alone:

Amy Hyde (female)
Alex Crow (male)
Davine Diamond (female)

I might be changing the names again as I see fit... unless I decide these names are alright. The only one that I'll probably change is Randi... I need that to be a unisex name that's spelled the same way male and female way but Randi is the best name...

Anything would be helpful, please tell me what you think they look like, or what they act like, talk like, anything. Thanks in advance, it would be alot of help!

ljkkjlcm9
01-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Leonard Jackel Kaine
that's the male name I use for the main male in any made up game/story... He's my guy

THE JACKEL

Martyr
01-05-2007, 02:45 AM
They all seem kinda dark and imposing to me.

Alex Crow: Very dark, kinda like a modern high school goth, tall, skinny, pale, almost frail and gangly. Needly, annoying, a good character to have killed off sometime during the game, or to have turn traitor, since nobody will like him.

Amy Hyde: The sweet lovable chick character whose also got all the garish qualities of Ayla from Chrono Trigger. Except that she isn't quite as strong, only as rugged, and she's easily intelligent enough. Good for a female main character who doesn't really fit in well with the rest of the crowd. But again, a little imposing, not extremely likable, maybe too much of a clash of character styles.

Randi King: Anothe big strong babe. A great lesbian counterpart for Amy. Hulking monstrous woman, probably black, probably the sexiest hairy chick you've ever met. Maybe even with dreds. She can wither carry Cloud's gigantic sword fire a bazooka fromj point blank range. Probably the most likable character you have, but still somebody who players won't be able to relate to much.

I don';t know what characters you have in mind. But if these qualities match your imagination, then you're on the right track.

Goldenboko
01-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Next time you might want to put this into a forum other then general chat seeing as it won't be taken seriously here.
Alright I look into things deeply so here I go(you may notice I tend to not pay attention to first names)...

Amy Hyde (female)
Hyde makes me think of Dr. Jekal and Mr. Hyde, so I'd picture this character as the main hero who is trying to find her true opinion and outlook on life. The character will often contradict herself, and have no appearent set of beliefs.

Alex Crow (male)
Crows are usually looked on as signs of bad luck, and associated with other bad things. I'd picture this character as either...
A. The clumsy clutsy one, getting the party into bad situations
-OR-
B. The hero who will have no real loyalty to the party and may turn on them

Randi King (female)
Seeing as King is a Noble status, I picture this character as a stuck-up character of noble birth. Constantly convinced that she is better then the party but at some point of the game will come to the truth that she has much to learn from the party.

*Phew* done.

BardTard
01-05-2007, 02:54 AM
They all seem kinda dark and imposing to me.

Alex Crow: Very dark, kinda like a modern high school goth, tall, skinny, pale, almost frail and gangly. Needly, annoying, a good character to have killed off sometime during the game, or to have turn traitor, since nobody will like him.

Amy Hyde: The sweet lovable chick character whose also got all the garish qualities of Ayla from Chrono Trigger. Except that she isn't quite as strong, only as rugged, and she's easily intelligent enough. Good for a female main character who doesn't really fit in well with the rest of the crowd. But again, a little imposing, not extremely likable, maybe too much of a clash of character styles.

Randi King: Anothe big strong babe. A great lesbian counterpart for Amy. Hulking monstrous woman, probably black, probably the sexiest hairy chick you've ever met. Maybe even with dreds. She can wither carry Cloud's gigantic sword fire a bazooka fromj point blank range. Probably the most likable character you have, but still somebody who players won't be able to relate to much.

I don';t know what characters you have in mind. But if these qualities match your imagination, then you're on the right track.

Your description of Amy is almost perfect. Maybe it is perfect. If only I understood what all those words meant and if I played Chrono Trigger. You're probably exactly right about her. Alex... I can't say anything bad because I'm kind of designing characters after people I know. Randi and Amy will be lesbians but they're both white and sexy.

Randi King (female)
Seeing as King is a Noble status, I picture this character as a stuck-up character of noble birth. Constantly convinced that she is better then the party but at some point of the game will come to the truth that she has much to learn from the party.

*Phew* done.

I should really consider changing Randi's name...

Okay I just did. It is now Zane Fairfax so please let me know what you think about that now.

Goldenboko
01-05-2007, 03:03 AM
*Snaps*
Appears I wasn't very close, perhaps I looked into the names too much.

BardTard
01-05-2007, 03:07 AM
No actually you were alot of help. I didn't really like the name anyway... and unisex names for this character are so hard to find...

Goldenboko
01-05-2007, 03:09 AM
No actually you were alot of help. I didn't really like the name anyway... and unisex names for this character are so hard to find...

If you want a Uni-sex name I recommend going for a name you make yourself. For example the Main Character of a game/novel I am making is named Vion, in the game he looks pretty femine so the first couple people who saw him assumed he was a guy, because Vion is a name I randomly made and doesn't hint anytype of gender.

rubah
01-05-2007, 04:24 AM
Generally it's best if you think of a name and can fit a character to it. At least I think so.

The flaw in the names you have presented is that they all have the same meter. Amy, Alex, and Randi are all two syllable words with the first syllable stressed. Hyde, Crow, and King are all monosyllabic.

Experience with ethnic sounding names, but don't make them unbelievable. I think overwrought names and spellings are one of the worst thing that could happen to a person, so unless you intend to use it as a plot device or to humorous effect, act like the child's parent and keep it simple as you can.

Amy Hyde makes me think of a thin short blonde girl who is a rocker by night and a helpful perhaps librarian by day.

Alex Crow is an demi-emo punk who has changed his name to fit his new darker identity.

Randi King sounds like a slutty cheerleader. What with the randiness and all.

BardTard
01-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Generally it's best if you think of a name and can fit a character to it. At least I think so.

The flaw in the names you have presented is that they all have the same meter. Amy, Alex, and Randi are all two syllable words with the first syllable stressed. Hyde, Crow, and King are all monosyllabic.

Experience with ethnic sounding names, but don't make them unbelievable. I think overwrought names and spellings are one of the worst thing that could happen to a person, so unless you intend to use it as a plot device or to humorous effect, act like the child's parent and keep it simple as you can.

Amy Hyde makes me think of a thin short blonde girl who is a rocker by night and a helpful perhaps librarian by day.

Alex Crow is an demi-emo punk who has changed his name to fit his new darker identity.

Randi King sounds like a slutty cheerleader. What with the randiness and all.

I was going to have Alex be a girl and name her Alexa Crow, but then I had a better idea for the story. So I had to switch the names... and yeah Randi King definitely not a slutty cheerleader... *trying to fix* and I'm not good at coming up with my own names cus they always have a bunch of A's, X's, H's, K sounds... I keep changing Randi's name alot, partially because the names were too much alike.

Quindiana Jones
01-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I like all those names because they're nothing really spectacular and stupid like Johnny Hero, or Zeta Stormhands or some other ludicrous name like that. They're just normal names which makes them sound more human.

BardTard
01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Okay I changed the last one again. I think Davine Diamond is the perfect name. Plus it sounds kind of cool. What do you think about Davine Diamond?

Roto13
01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I like all those names because they're nothing really spectacular and stupid like Johnny Hero, or Zeta Stormhands or some other ludicrous name like that.
Sora Keyheart. :P

Anyway, it's usually best to come up with a character and name him or her afterwards. If you can't come up with a name, come up with a temporary name and write the story using that until you come up with something later. I'm working on a little something right now with an English character named Nigel, who the creator couldn't come up with a name for so he just named him after every generic English comedy character. He just never got around to changing it later. so it stuck. :P

Avarice-ness
01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I find all my names here. http://www.babynames.com/Names/search.php

You can look for names by meaning, that's what I tend to do. :)

Roto13
01-05-2007, 07:18 PM
That's actually a really good idea.

Kanshisha
01-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Heh my mum used to have one of those....anyway the bad guy should be
Lord Midnyt