PDA

View Full Version : Internet ExploDer 7

KoShiatar
01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
...So, have you tried it? Any impressions? Can it compete with Firefox now, or is tabbed browsing just another way to distract you from the lack of more important features? Discuss.

oddler
01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I have not tried it yet. :(

KoShiatar
01-05-2007, 09:44 PM
If you have an authentic copy of Windows, and automatic updates are active, it should install itself automatically...

Roto13
01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I refuse to try it until I know whether or not it works in the Firefox extension "IE Tab", and nobody uses it but me so I'll probably never know.

crono_logical
It's just trying to be a Firefox wannabe :p IE's only useful place is in the workplace where lousy programmers use ActiveX for crappy web interfaces :p

Rocket Edge
I think it's great.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I tried it. Not that good. Firefox is better though. :D

XxSephirothxX
01-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I can't say I really like the default interface. Microsoft has recently been stripping their programs of the menu bars, and IE is no different. It has some little icons that get the job done, I suppose, but it's still kinda eh. The only nice thing I have to say about it is that the logo looks good.

Roto13
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
If you have an authentic copy of Windows, and automatic updates are active, it should install itself automatically...

Didn't happen to me.

oddler
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Maybe I do have it. That doesn't mean that I've tried it yet, though. :p

Psychotic
01-05-2007, 09:58 PM
It sucks because it doesn't have "Firefox" written on it and I'm a Firefox fanboy, and after all being a fanatic of a web browser is the pinnacle of human achievement.

Honestly though, it's not bad, but the lure of tabbed browsing brought me to Firefox and this doesn't have anything special to bring me back to the IE team.

Old Manus
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
WHERE IS THE REFRESH BUTTON

LunarWeaver
01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I've been using it for a while and it all seems fine to me. But I've never touched Firefox because I'm too much of a lazy bastard to get things like that.

m4tt
01-05-2007, 10:31 PM

To the right of the addres bar, sheesh!

I like it okay.

Old Manus
01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
oic :(

Dreddz
01-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Im using it now, its great............well not really, but it lets me access the internet, which is all that matters to me. Unlike you lot who want every feature thinkable.

Rye
01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm addicted to tabbing in Firefox, so no, I have not. :p

Dreddz
01-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Internet Explorer has tabbed browsing O.o.

o_O
01-05-2007, 11:12 PM
IE has nothing on <a href="http://w3m.sourceforge.net/FAQ">w3m</a>.

Drex
01-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I do all of my personal browsing in Firefox, but I have to use IE for work. Firefox doesn't play nice with a lot of Javascript stuff, plus a lot of the Flash stuff we've got, and when you mix the two it starts getting really ugly. It's a big step forward from IE6, and an adequate alternative to Firefox, but not completely up to snuff.

Besides, I was more disappointed by Firefox 2 - it wasn't much of a step up from v1. Mostly just a strategic move on their part to counter/ride IE's wave.

Sefie1999AD
01-06-2007, 12:35 AM
My parents' computer has both Firefox 2 and IE7. They're both alright, and IE7 is certainly a step up from IE6. However, I still prefer using Firefox to using IE. If there's something Firefox can't do, I just use the "View in IE" extension.

Madame Adequate
01-06-2007, 12:40 AM
...So, have you tried it? Any impressions? Can it compete with Firefox now, or is tabbed browsing just another way to distract you from the lack of more important features? Discuss.

I fail to think of any features more important than tabbed browsing. However I've got and am used to Firefox, so I'm not going to bother with a new IE.

blim
01-06-2007, 01:44 AM

Took me three days to find that (maybe i'm just stupid). I'm getting used to it now though, its ok.

Samuraid
01-06-2007, 01:55 AM
My personal take:

IE7 is definitely better than IE6, but no, it still cannot compete with FireFox. :)

escobert
01-06-2007, 02:27 AM
why would I even bother with it when I have my perfectly good Firefox.

Drex
01-06-2007, 03:48 AM
The main issue that I see with the Firefox mindset is that it's the old Internet Explorer mindset. Why would I check out a little open source project like Firefox when I'm perfectly fine with my Internet Explorer? I say give it a shot then make a decision, because there are those that blindly follow FF just like they did IE.

Though, like I said, I still prefer Firefox.

-N-
01-06-2007, 04:01 AM
IE7 makes me realize I need to uninstall Firefox and switch to Opera.

rubah
01-06-2007, 04:10 AM
IE6 computer unsavvy users (the ones who don't use firefox for example) seem to not like it because its' different.

I'm thinking that's pretty much why they don't use firefox. it's different.

I have used it fleetingly on my mom's laptop (the only machine with sp2 in this household) and it does seem to render slightly better than ie6. But just slightly.

I Took the Red Pill
01-06-2007, 04:12 AM
I tried it. Not that good. <strike>Firefox</strike> Opera is better though. :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-06-2007, 04:13 AM
IE does not work well on my laptop, basically I more or less have to wait for the home page to load before I can do anything, if not then it has a fit sometimes, not so much IE7, but IE6 did.

Meat Puppet
01-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I think that it is the greatest internet browser of all time. Its existence alone renders any other browser obsolete.

Burtsplurt
01-06-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm just trying it at the moment. The fonts look better than in Firefox. It's definitely a step forward, but I'll have to keep using it to work out which is the most useful.

crono_logical
01-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Besides, I was more disappointed by Firefox 2 - it wasn't much of a step up from v1. Mostly just a strategic move on their part to counter/ride IE's wave.The one feature I like in Firefox 2 that I didn't have in 1.5 (without an extension anyway) is the restore session feature, where it restores all the windows and tabs I had open when I last closed it :p

IE does not work well on my laptop, basically I more or less have to wait for the home page to load before I can do anything, if not then it has a fit sometimes, not so much IE7, but IE6 did.Surely you can change your home page to about:blank like in IE6? :p

KoShiatar
01-06-2007, 09:20 AM
IE 7 does seem a little bit faster than 6, which is useful for me when I'm in Italy because my connection sucks.

forgotten_fantasy
01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
It doesn't work for me after I installed it, so i'll still use firefox/netscape

starseeker
01-06-2007, 09:52 AM
IE7 made me convert to using Firefox. Simple reason: I couldn't find any of the buttons or the menu bar. Plus I can customise Firefox.

Pike
01-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I refuse to try it until I know whether or not it works in the Firefox extension "IE Tab", and nobody uses it but me so I'll probably never know.

Yes, it does. I have been doing so for quite some time now, with no problems. And IE Tab is one of the greatest extensions of all time.

IE7 made me convert to using Firefox. Simple reason: I couldn't find any of the buttons or the menu bar. Plus I can customise Firefox.

Several of my friends have switched to Firefox for the same reason. XD

Citizen Bleys
01-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I used IE7 briefly while I was trying out Vista. I hated it. I actually prefer IE6. IE7 doesn't have all of the same buttons (i.e. functionality) in the toolbar at the top of the page that IE6 does, and I spent over 15 minutes trying to figure out how to add it back in. If you're going to move functionality from one version of a program to another, it should be something you're able to bring to the forefront within minutes. IE7 fails at this. In fact, I don't even know if it's possible to restore all of IE6's functionality -- I stopped trying after 15 minutes because it shouldn't take that long. The same can be said of the version of Windows Explorer that ships with Vista. It has no "Up one level" button. I spent hours trying to restore that button because it's one that I use A LOT while browsing files. It looks like Micros~1 has removed it entirely because it was too useful. Since Micros~1 has seen fit to gimp Windows Explorer, I have no doubt they have also removed functionality from IE7 without providing a way to put it back. Microsoft fails.

I also prefer Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 2.0. The change is too big. It breaks 90% of my plugins, including my BlueShift skin--to the point where Firefox 2.0 has been out for a considerable amount of time and the plugin authors have been unable to produce working ports of their plugins. Mozilla fails.

rubah
01-06-2007, 05:23 PM
ff2 doesn't have the same memory troubles that have plagued me ever since whatever came after 1.0.7 came out. I've had my browser open for three days now, and it's only used 77mb of memory and just over 100 of vram. Back with 1.5 it'd be something like 400mb by now :|

the ff2 default skin is also ugly as sin, but they have winestripe for that.

~*~Celes~*~
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM
My personal take:

IE7 is definitely better than IE6, but no, it still cannot compete with FireFox. :)

Especially because it took me six hours to find the refresh button :( But I only use that on mom 'n dad's computer, I have Firefox on my computer 'cause it is TEH UBER SHWEET!!ONEELEVENONE!11

Roto13
01-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Yes, it does. I have been doing so for quite some time now, with no problems. And IE Tab is one of the greatest extensions of all time.

Neat. *goes to find to download*

Xander
01-06-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't like it because the cleartext sucks, and the small top bar with tiny icons annoys me because I guess I dont like change buuut. I stopped using IE ages ago and used Firefox, though I'd still open IE every so often but now I don't even do that, it even seems to open slower for me now >_> So yeah even after I figured out how to turn off the cleartext, it's also messed up my Outlook by putting it there and.... IE was the browser my parents stuck to, I didn't bother showing them a new one, and now it's confused them by changing. xD

Also if I go to other people's computer, like this guy I am helping learn to use the computer I hate seeing sites I've made in stupid cleartext cos most people wouldnt turn it off now, UGH. Why is that a good idea? It isn't, no it REALLY isn't.

Once I was like, what's the firefox fanpeople thing about but, now I love it..couldn't go back. And IE copying their tabs doesn't make me like it anymore, no :p

Iceglow
01-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I will give my sincerest gratitude to the person who manages to send me an installer .exe file for Fire Fox 1.5 I don't like using IE7 too much and whilst FF1.5 was flawed in some serious ways (as mentioned by Rubah) I prefer it for compatability for some of the things I use. I can easily modify features in the FF1.5 and yet even FF2.0 or whatever doesn't allow the same modification.

XxSephirothxX
01-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I also prefer Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 2.0. The change is too big. It breaks 90% of my plugins, including my BlueShift skin--to the point where Firefox 2.0 has been out for a considerable amount of time and the plugin authors have been unable to produce working ports of their plugins. Mozilla fails.
Really? That's strange. I had a few plugins that didn't work at first, but after several days every single one of them had been made compatible with Firefox 2.0. The only thing I still have that doesn't work is my old theme, which is unfortunate, but not enough to make me pass up the ability to use session restore. Are you still using 2.0? If not, you should check Mozilla's website to see if those plugins are still incompatible.

rubah
01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't you people keep copies of old installers? xD

http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Little Blue
01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
IE 7 seems ok, but I still prefer firefox. IE 7 and the IE tab in firefox seem to take ages to get over the "detecting proxy settings" phase... I haven't tried FF2 yet, but I'm not in any hurry yet either.

oddler
01-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't like it because the cleartext sucks

Yep. Actually hurts my eyes. :(

sephirothishere
01-06-2007, 08:37 PM
its ok i guess....its got crappy pop up blockers though...firefox pwnsIE inn that respect...but i have to say v7 is an awful lot sexier lookin....

Setzer Gabianni
01-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I still use IE6. I'm scared of change.

~Setzer Gabianni

Roto13
01-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't see why people hate cleartext so much. :P

Doomie
01-07-2007, 02:08 AM
I have it and it's pretty crappy. It also doesn't have a page translator. (At least none that I know of.)

blim
01-07-2007, 02:12 AM
I had tabbing on IE6, i think with windows live. That could save your tabs. Dont know how to in IE7 though

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-07-2007, 03:50 AM
IE does not work well on my laptop, basically I more or less have to wait for the home page to load before I can do anything, if not then it has a fit sometimes, not so much IE7, but IE6 did.Surely you can change your home page to about:blank like in IE6? :p
Thanks for the suggestion! *changes it*

Little Blue
01-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I have it and it's pretty crappy. It also doesn't have a page translator. (At least none that I know of.)

I didn't know other browsers had translators anyway. I know firefox has it through the google toolbar, but its not a default feature... is it?

Jess
01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I use Firefox, but I've tried the new IE and it's alright!