PDA

View Full Version : Forget Tellah, why does Yang have to suck?

ReloadPsi
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay. Yang can't equip any good armour, yet if you put him in the back row his attacks do bugger all. Put him in the front row and one hit from an enemy halves his HP. His physical attack is nothing special and his charge-up attack takes way too long (he might as well attack two turns in a row... it's never tactically better to charge his attack as few enemies at the point he's forced on you can heal themselves anyway). After entering a command, he stands there looking hopeless for ages while the rest of your party continue to do what you tell them... Yang sucks! Even that legendary battle cry of "ACHOO!" doesn't save his credibility here!

I'd rather have been forced to use Edward, at least he inflicts Confusion with his physical attacks, making the bad guys do your dirty work.

Sefie1999AD
01-06-2007, 03:16 PM
The thing is, I think some of the hardest parts in the game are the Tower of Zot and the places before that. I usually level up for Zot in the forest outside Troia, but there are also many dangerous enemes in the forest, such as the creatures that counter attack with needles if you don't kill them.

At that time, Cecil can't deal a lot of damage with his sword, at least not when I played. Cid's hammer isn't especially powerful, either, and Tellah's magic is quite weak (not to mention he doesn't have much MP). However, Yang can usually one-hit-kill those creatures when he's equipped with double claws.

When I played, Yang kept being my most powerful fighter all the way until he left the party. If you're playing the GBA version, he's still pretty strong if you put him in your party at the end of the game. Yang's special abilities aren't that good, but he's better with using physical attacks. His defence may be a bit weak, but his amount of HP is also very high.

NINJA_Ryu
01-06-2007, 05:34 PM
QFT ^

Vermachtnis
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Back when I played FF4 way back when it was FF2, Yang was my favorite character. He has a lot of HP and mundo strength and he's pretty fast. He seemed to kill everything before they killed him. One of the major selling points for Advance was being able to put him in the final party and it some how worked out that after Yang went, Rosa went so if he was low on HP Rosa could just cast Curaja.

Goldenboko
01-06-2007, 07:28 PM
If you think Yang sucks normally, you should see what he's like a no random encounters game. Then he's pitifull.

abrojtm
01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
He has the highest HP growth in the game, if that counts for anything for you.

Goldenboko
01-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Yes, thats why I throw him in the back row, and cast protect on him, he made a nice attack waster, but could only to about 5-10 damage :P

rubah
01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Yang is good if only by virtue of his wife.

Captain Maxx Power
01-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Yang's HP will cap at around ~6000 HP. In contrast Cecil, Kain, Cid and Edge can all get much higher amounts of HP with more defense. Heck, even Rosa can get more HP than Yang can. Yang can however become semi-useful once you do his Lunar Trial as his Build-Up power will do three times damage instead of two times, meaning it does one and a half times more damage over time than his regular attack. Personally he's my least favourite of the end-game characters.

Roogle
01-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Yang has awkward HP growth from a result of a cap placed upon him in the original Super Nintendo version of the game. On the North American and Japanese Gameboy Advance versions, this cap was not removed and, as a result, his HP growth continued to be capped until the cap was removed in the European release of the Gameboy Advance version.

I assume that the cap was placed upon him because his HP grows exponentially at certain points. Although he wouldn't be in the party at higher levels in the original version, I suppose it was placed upon him so that he wouldn't hit the maximum HP level way before a player was intended to see it, or something...

feioncastor
01-07-2007, 03:48 AM
You seem to be unaware that Yang is actually more capable than any of your party members when it comes to withstanding attacks. You may feel that Yang loses a lot of HP when he is attacked. But I've heard that he actually was able to withstand the blast from a cannon with enough firepower to wipe out an entire kingdom. Yeah, supposedly Yang just jumped in front of it and took the blast. It's weird because they say he lived through it, and recently developments have shown that he's still in fine condition to enter physical combat. You'd think that if the cannonfire didn't kill him, it would at least incapacitate him to the point where he was no longer able to fight.