PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG 2: Yea or Nay?

~Storm Ninja~
01-07-2007, 03:59 AM
The title says it all.

Meat Puppet
01-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Nay.

Northcrest
01-07-2007, 04:53 AM
I love Super Mario!

SuperNatural
01-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Hell yeah! We need a true sequel to Super Mario RPG with Geno, Mallow, Croco, Smithy, Jonathan Johnny Jones, Jinx, and Bowser as an allie.

With Super Mario RPG coming out on Wii's virtual console, I think it would be great if they came out with a true sequel to it on Wii as well. I'm sick of Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi subsituting for SMRPG2; it's time we actually get it!

Zeromus_X
01-07-2007, 04:58 AM
Definite yea! :) :cat: That game was and continues to be great. :cat:

feioncastor
01-07-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't think they should make another one after this long.

It's okay that they made many FF games because we gradually worked our way up from the old games to the modern ones. But if they made a SMRPG2, it wouldn't be much like the original, I don't think. It's like comparing the gameplay style of FF4 to that of FFXII.

Of course, I'd like to see more Geno, but now that it's been so many years, I'd rather not because I don't think it would be true to the spirit of the original game.

NeoCracker
01-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I'd love it. As long as they didn't mess it up.

--One Winged Angel--
01-07-2007, 08:26 AM
how could anyone say no. this is one of the best rpgs ever, and its way overdue for a true sequal.

Marshall Banana
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Only if Bowser can join your party again! =O

feioncastor
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't see why a game deserves a sequel just because it's good. Super Mairo RPG was awesome, I agree. But when you beat the game, the story came to a close. Geno's work was done, so you wouldn't be seeing him again. Smithy was finished, and everythig returned to normal. Having a sequel implies that the world is going to get into some other trouble outside the normal day-to-day stuff and Mario is going to save the day again. SMRPG ends with the feeling of "happily ever after". It's like in the regular Mario games. When you beat the game, you've won. Bowser is dead/defeated, and the Princess is rescued. While there are many Super Mario games for NES and Super NES, I don't think that any of them are connected, storywise. They all seem to take place seperate from one another, and it works out well. They're really more "follow-ups" than "sequels".

Now, if by "Sequel" you mean "Follow up", that's another story. A follow up, of course, being a game in the style of a previous title, but not picking up where the old story left off.

And I think a Follow Up is a worse idea than a sequel.

Having a sequel come in and make the old game's ending into a lie is bad enough.

But a follow-up just seems like it wouldn't be faithful to the game. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked FFTA just fine, but not as much as I was expecting to based on my previous experience with FFT.

People tend to think that they'd love to see a sequel or follow-up to a game they really enjoyed, but in my experience, I find new title actually seems to cheapen the awesomeness of the original. I know, we all say "It would be cool if they made a decent sequel/follow-up to SMRPG, one that is faithful to the original game", but that varies from person to person. Chances are, the game they'd end up making wouldn't be what you had in mind.

Look at FF7. Now, I do like DoC and Advent Children, but I feel like Square kinda messed with something that was done. FF7 left me with a lot of questions, but most great stories end with both a sense of closure and a sense of question, which is what makes the story so amazing. Then in Advent Children when you see Rufus, I mean, come on. I was sure that he was dead. If I made a list of things that had happened by the end of Final Fantasy VII, Rufus's permanant death would've been on that list. And then they make a sequel movie that just goes over what the original story tells you and changes it around. They had to do that because FF7 had an ending, and therefore in order to continue the story, they had to change the story of FF7 as it was understood.

And that's what you're facing with SMRPG. The story is over. It's a greta, fun story that's a blast to play through, but it's finished. Trying to add onto it most likely won't work because there's nothing more to be done.

I suppose it could be done. I suppose Nintendo and Square could get together and make another SMRPG, and I'd probably play it. And who knows, it might come out super awesome. But I doubt it. If it's a sequel, I can't see how they'd fit that in to the original story without butchering the original story. And if it's a follow-up, it's not gonna have enough in common with the original to make you feel like you're playing more of the original. Like, you probably won't see Geno or Mallow. The landscapes will all look different, obviously.

In short, SMRPG is an awesome game, and is not in need of anything further. It's already great, so let's leave it at its greatness. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

~Storm Ninja~
01-07-2007, 02:44 PM
There's actually one specific reason i made this thread.

Square-enix could be working on another fantastic nintendo-square-enix co-op RPG, but y'know what they gave us last time they joined together?

Basketball. Mario hoops 3 on 3 basketball.

Don't get me wrong. Mario Sports is cool by me, hell I'll slam dunk with a mog anyday.

But there are more constructive things that could be done *coughrpgcough*

~Storm Ninja~
01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
which reminds me, feioncastor, a bit long winded, but you make a good point. I'll keep the poll up, but who has another idea for a nintendo-square project as opposed to a SMRPG2?

if you really like the SMRPG2 idea, don't flame me for doing this, the poll is still up for another 59 days.

(I'm thinking zelda)

NeoCracker
01-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Nah, Square needs to keep their hands off my Zelda. Who knows, maybe they'll get a wild hair and make a SSB RPG. I'd definately try that one.

Pike
01-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Hell yeah! We need a true sequel to Super Mario RPG with Geno, Mallow, Croco, Smithy, Jonathan Johnny Jones, Jinx, and Bowser as an allie.

That was my first thoughts. But feioncastor makes a good point too. I would only want a sequel to be made if it was going to be really darn good, and preferably made by Square so it can keep its... style, I guess.

That said, what I want most of all is a re-release of the game on GBA or DS. I mean really, is that too much to ask? :(

Prancing Mad
01-07-2007, 08:35 PM
"But a follow-up just seems like it wouldn't be faithful to the game. It's like Final Fantasy Tactics compared to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I liked FFTA just fine, but not as much as I was expecting to based on my previous experience with FFT."

Agreed, however there have been good follow-ups. Chrono Cross, despite being a sequel, was more of a follow-up than anything else. I actually enjoyed that game more

Zeromus_X
01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
By the way, is everyone forgetting about Paper Mario? I'd say that's a pretty good 'follow-up game in the same style as the original'. Or does it not count for whatever reason?

Crossblades
01-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Sequel please:D Though Paper Matio is a good follow up to Super Mario RPG:)

~Storm Ninja~
01-07-2007, 10:11 PM
someone should totally make a SSBRPG. You can assemble a totally badass party led by mario:

Mario (hero)
Mewtwo (mage/PWNZOR!)
sandbag (tank?)
link (other guy)

Trumpet Thief
01-07-2007, 10:16 PM
chaos:: Of course! This game will always stay in my heart as the greatest game EVER made. Mallow and Geno are characters I'm constantly hoping will make a return.

Trowa: *sits and stares and sits and stares* Yeah.

Ichimonji
01-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Only if Bowser can join your party again! =O

Marshall Banana
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't see why a game deserves a sequel just because it's good.

But a follow-up just seems like it wouldn't be faithful to the game.

In short, SMRPG is an awesome game, and is not in need of anything further. It's already great, so let's leave it at its greatness. If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If someone bakes you a chocolate cake, and it's one of the most delicious cakes you've ever tasted, will you think, "I'll never eat another cake again, because doing so would be unfaithful or ruinous to this cake I have just eaten, since another can't possibly be as good,"? It's the same, whether it pertains to cake, Mario, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, etc.

(^ That makes sense in my mind, anyway.)

While there are many Super Mario games for NES and Super NES, I don't think that any of them are connected, storywise. They all seem to take place seperate from one another, and it works out well. They're really more "follow-ups" than "sequels".
I like to think they're connected when I notice a character say something like, "Bowser is at it again," or Bowser say, "I won't fail this time, Mario!"

People tend to think that they'd love to see a sequel or follow-up to a game they really enjoyed, but in my experience, I find new title actually seems to cheapen the awesomeness of the original.
How can anyone say that a sequel has ruined or cheapened its predecessor(s)? That's just silly. Even if the original story is altered, it's only altered within that particular sequel (and that's not always a bad thing anyway).

Roto13
01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
By the way, is everyone forgetting about Paper Mario? I'd say that's a pretty good 'follow-up game in the same style as the original'. Or does it not count for whatever reason?

It's original title was Super Mario RPG 2. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars#Sequels)

Evastio
01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah. I'd sure like to see another game with Mallow and Geno in it.

Crossblades
01-09-2007, 01:42 AM

It's original title was Super Mario RPG 2. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars#Sequels)

I remember reading about this in a issue of Nintendo Power ages ago

feioncastor
01-09-2007, 03:18 AM
If a story has a clear ending that gives the reader/viewer/gamer a bit of closure, it should be done and over at that point. To make a sequel that "undoes" the previous game's story seems to cheapen the original story's impact. It would be like saying that Emporor Palpatine didn't actually die at the end of Return of the Jedi just so that they could make another movie. It would be like saying that when you kill Zeromus at the end of FF4, he didn't really die, but was only stunned and continued to do bad stuff, forcing Cecil and the gang to go back into action.

When a story is over, let it be over. Don't try to change the original story in order to accomodate a sequel.

A follow-up might be okay, but I'm sure it wouldn't invovle Geno and Mallow like everyone is hoping because Geno and Mallow were unique characters associated with the first game, and wouldn't fit into other Mario games.

Firo Volondé
01-09-2007, 06:02 AM
but who has another idea for a nintendo-square project as opposed to a SMRPG2?

Super Smash Brothers: Final Fantasy!

In any case, I say nay, mostly due to what feioncastor says.

Pike
01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Meh, I was never a huge fan of Paper Mario. It wasn't bad, but to me it didn't have the same feel as Super Mario RPG. Same with, say, Superstar Saga, which I think came closer but still wasn't quite the same. (Though Geno's cameo made me so very happy.)

I'd want a Super Mario RPG sequel to be a Nintendo-Square collaboration like the first one, and preferably with the same characters... if not the same characters, then all the characters should at least make appearances as NPCs or something. That's just my thoughts, though.

XxSephirothxX
01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't mind Square Enix and Nintendo collaborating on a sequel, but, as others have said, Paper Mario was a pretty decent follow-up in its own right. Just a year ago I would've laughed if someone suggested Square Enix would make another Super Mario RPG, but after that Mario basketball game they recently developed and their increasing devotion to the DS, anything is possible.

~Storm Ninja~
01-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I still think that would have been better spent on a suaretendo (yeah, kill me for that later) RPG. It's what square is good at.

feioncastor
01-14-2007, 11:27 AM
If someone bakes you a chocolate cake, and it's one of the most delicious cakes you've ever tasted, will you think, "I'll never eat another cake again, because doing so would be unfaithful or ruinous to this cake I have just eaten, since another can't possibly be as good,"? It's the same, whether it pertains to cake, Mario, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, etc.

If you get some chocolate cake that was great, you will probably want more of the same. But what if you asked for more of that excellent cake, but when you bit into it, you found it was actually made of lye and pig lips?

According to your analogy, those who enjoyed SMRPG would like to play the same game over again, in otherwords, a re-release of the game on GBA or DS or something. After all, if you really liked the chocolate cake, you'd want more of the exact same cake. They may change the recipe for the cake and you won't be pleased with the change.

Marshall Banana
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
If you get some chocolate cake that was great, you will probably want more of the same. But what if you asked for more of that excellent cake, but when you bit into it, you found it was actually made of lye and pig lips?
It happens, but that's just a risk you'll have to take if you love cake! =O

According to your analogy, those who enjoyed SMRPG would like to play the same game over again, in otherwords, a re-release of the game on GBA or DS or something. After all, if you really liked the chocolate cake, you'd want more of the exact same cake. They may change the recipe for the cake and you won't be pleased with the change.
No, no, you don't always want the exact same cake. That sounds boring! You just want more delicious cakes, more delicious Super Mario RPGs. Well, not you, but I.

Ooh, Paper Mario. <3

Markus. D
01-31-2007, 02:38 AM
someone should totally make a SSBRPG. You can assemble a totally badass party led by mario:

Mario (hero)
Mewtwo (mage/PWNZOR!)
sandbag (tank?)
link (other guy)

Mario (Monk)
Mewtwo (Warlock)
Sandbag (Random Encounter?)
Link (Paly or Spoony Bard)

Ashley Schovitz
01-31-2007, 02:57 AM
I want Mallow and Geno those past two Mario RPG games just had you use 2 party members lame. The sequel needs more strategy.

Roto13
01-31-2007, 03:05 AM
The Paper Mario games had plenty of party members, you just couldn't use very many at one time. You could switch between them whenever, though. Even during a battle.

Ashley Schovitz
01-31-2007, 03:18 AM
I know that, but they are weren't intelligent creatures just plain boring monsters. I would rather be able to use 3 at a time.

Chrisrj
01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
I was going to say make a sequel for the GBA, but feioncaster talked me out of it...

However, I've ALWAYS wanted a SSB RPG(along with a kart-racing game), so I would be all for that.

CloudDragon
02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
They should make a sequel of similar format for the DS or something. Not sure how a Wii version would work out.