PDA

View Full Version : Has it gotten COLDER?

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Haha, a while ago one of my uncles showed me some statistics that clearly showed that the mean temeprature on Earth has decreased.
This sounds like a bad joke if you consider the fact everyone goes on about how warm it is (:rolleyes2), but what do you think?

Heck, he even claimed we're soon in for another Ice Age, and he actually had some proof that backed him up, diagrams and such.
Also he's a very smart man, so he usually knows what he's talking about.

What do you think? :p

Levian
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
I actually came across that in a family board game, and it said it had gotten colder too. Still, it hasn't been this warm in Norway since the 60's.

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I actually came across that in a family board game, and it said it had gotten colder too. Still, it hasn't been this warm in Norway since the 60's.Yeah, I find it quite strange, TBQH. :p
Everyone knows it's unusually warm, and still it's "gotten colder"?
What the hell?

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I feel like laughing my ass off at some people who were actually quite convinced global warming would happen any time soon. It still a serious debate, but it happens all the time, the temperture wavers.

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Please take a look at this diagram and then try telling me it's gotten colder:

http://www.bluehill.org/anntemp.gif

Either my uncle is terribly wrong, or else this diagram is terribly wrong.

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
maybe, maybe not.
I still dont think Global Warming will happen too soon. The temperature raises and lowers alot. Just because there is a rise in temp. people start freaking out and think we are all going to die tomorrow because the sun will shoot fireballs at us or something.

Zeldy
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I remember hearing about a possible iceage before. Its with the artic melting, and making our sea's colder.
I didn't think it was POSSIBLE to make british sea's colder.

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:17 PM
maybe, maybe not.
I still dont think Global Warming will happen too soon. The temperature raises and lowers alot. Just because there is a rise in temp. people start freaking out and think we are all going to die tomorrow because the sun will shoot fireballs at us or something.Yeah, I read in the newspapers today about a climatologist who claimed this was all completely natural.

Faris
01-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, if the glaciers in Iceland are melting, I would think not. :D

Bunny
01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
EVERYONE IS LIARS

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Well, if the glaciers in Iceland are melting, I would think not. :DLet's just hope it doesn't flood Sweden or anything on our latitudes. :cool:

The south would most likely be perfectly fine, I guess.

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I think that is whats puzzling alot of people. its kinda freaky, and the polar bears are threatened:cry:
But I dont get why its warming in some places, and colder in another place.
I think because of the temp wavering, its happened before, and this time its a little warmer than the last time, that the past temp. is having a small effect.

Zeldy
01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, if the glaciers in Iceland are melting, I would think not. :DLet's just hope it doesn't flood Sweden or anything on our latitudes. :cool:

Alot of places WILL end up being flooden. Im not sure if Sweden is one of them, but I know that where I live will be under water, maybe even Liverpool.

Mirage
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM
maybe, maybe not.
I still dont think Global Warming will happen too soon. The temperature raises and lowers alot. Just because there is a rise in temp. people start freaking out and think we are all going to die tomorrow because the sun will shoot fireballs at us or something.
Global warming isn't something that's just "there" one day, and wasn't there yesterday. It is happening gradually, and it's happening now. What we're not sure about is how much we humans have affected it.

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Alot of places WILL end up being flooden. Im not sure if Sweden is one of them, but I know that where I live will be under water, maybe even Liverpool.Hm, then let's hope it won't happen within our life time. :D

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Alot of places WILL end up being flooden. Im not sure if Sweden is one of them, but I know that where I live will be under water, maybe even Liverpool.Hm, then let's hope it won't happen within our life time. :D
Then what about the next generation with our kids. Thats pretty scary, because when global warming does happen, it will be hell on Earth

Mirage: I was being sarcastic

Faris
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I think that is whats puzzling alot of people. its kinda freaky, and the polar bears are threatened:cry:
I think because of the temp wavering, its happened before, and this time its a little warmer than the last time, that the past temp. is having a small effect.

Actually, isn't Iceland near one of the currents that send cold or warm waters around the Atlantic?

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Then what about the next generation with our kids. Thats pretty scary, because when global warming does happen, it will be hell on Earth

Mirage: I was being sarcasticNo matter how you look at it, one of our future generations WILL have to suffer it all one day.

We can only hope it won't happen for a long time, and that they'll find shelter as soon as possible. :)

escobert
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I feel like laughing my ass off at some people who were actually quite convinced global warming would happen any time soon. It still a serious debate, but it happens all the time, the temperture wavers.

right on, the earths tempature changes all time, we just kinds made it change faster. and I'm glad I live in Vermont where, I doubt there would be any noticable change in water height.

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:35 PM

Actually, isn't Iceland near one of the currents that send cold or warm waters around the Atlantic?
Im not positive, im just saying what the news said. I am also saying about what i heard those climate people say too.

Mirage
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Mirage: I was being sarcastic

But you still sound like global warming only has two states, on or off.

And yes, all of Northern Europe is considerably heated by the Gulf current. If not, it would be like in Siberia here.

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
sorry, i didnt mean for it to sound like that.

Rye
01-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Global warming is grossly exaggerated and I dislike discussing it with people.

"Jess, it's so hot outside! It's like, GLOBAL WARMING, or something!"
"Global warming is overexaggerated. It's just an abnormally hot winter, plus El Nino. We had those before."
"HOW CAN YOU NOT BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING? THAT'S LIKE SAYING EVOLUTION DOESN'T EXIST."

Mirage
01-07-2007, 05:44 PM
It is exaggerated, sure, but it is happening. All we humans are doing is accelerating a natural process.

LoveArya
01-07-2007, 05:45 PM
It is exaggerated, sure, but it is happening. All we humans are doing is accelerating a natural process.
i agree

Peter_20
01-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Global warming is grossly exaggerated and I dislike discussing it with people.

"Jess, it's so hot outside! It's like, GLOBAL WARMING, or something!"
"Global warming is overexaggerated. It's just an abnormally hot winter, plus El Nino. We had those before."
"HOW CAN YOU NOT BELIEVE IN GLOBAL WARMING? THAT'S LIKE SAYING EVOLUTION DOESN'T EXIST." They sound like they want Global Warming to happen.

"It's GLOBAL WARMING! So YAY!"
"No, it's not, that's just an overexaggerated term for a change in temperature..."
"NO, IT'S NOT! It's Global Warming, can't you tell?!"

crayzee gamr
01-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I know it's so warm up in canada and the north pole that the glaciers are melting. usually glaciers pass by in newfoundland but scientists are claiming that they are decreasing in size too. But i doubt that theory where if the north pole melts northern continents will be flooded, only places on the coasts and places near large bodies of water would be flooded but not continents. I heard that by 2042 the north pole will be entirely melted but that's only by statistics. but i think this is global warming because up here it is very warm (which is unusual) and we have no snow and usually at this time of year i'm freezing my butt off to go to school and trudging through snow.:(

Mirage
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Ice needs to be on land if its melting is going to affect the ocean levels, something the ice on the north pole is not.
You can test that yourself. Fill a glass half full of water and put in say, 5 ice cubes. Take note of the water level before and after the ice has melted. It'll be the same.

Dr Aum
01-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Humans are mostly water, so more water couldn't hurt, right? It's like putting more chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie. More is better.

Now if only we could figure out how to superheat the oceans and drop massive teabags into it...

rubah
01-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Humans are mostly water, so more water couldn't hurt, right? It's like putting more chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie. More is better.

Now if only we could figure out how to superheat the oceans and drop massive teabags into it...
Tell that to the girl who died because her friends made her drink like a gallon of water to get her to come down off a bad high. Humans have a delicate electrolyte balance in their bodies, and too much water upsets that.

I thought someone said that we were actually at the tail end of an Ice Age still. Hot desert time, here we come!

That being said, the Earth is way bigger than us, and she can fend for herself.

Dr Aum
01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Tell that to the girl who died because her friends made her drink like a gallon of water to get her to come down off a bad high. Humans have a delicate electrolyte balance in their bodies, and too much water upsets that.

I'm sorry for not clarifying that my previous post was dripping with sarcasm.

(Hah, get it? Dripping. Oh, you!)

DarkLadyNyara
01-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Haha, a while ago one of my uncles showed me some statistics that clearly showed that the mean temeprature on Earth has decreased.

There are three kinds of lies- white lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Really, you can use diagrams and statistics to "prove" anything. Global warming exists. The severity and causes are debatable, but it does exist.

theundeadhero
01-07-2007, 10:44 PM
The only thing getting colder around here is your hearts! :sobrunawayandcry:

Christmas
07-09-2023, 12:43 AM
The only thing getting colder around here is your hearts! :sobrunawayandcry:

Yes, this is how it is now. :(