PDA

View Full Version : backup cds

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-08-2007, 01:01 AM
what exactly are backup cds? and how do i make them

atlanteay
01-08-2007, 02:11 AM
for ps2 games? It's just so you can use a back up of the game you busted after an accident. you just burn an exact copy for your ps2 game but you need a modded ps2 or swap magic in order to play it on the ps2.

if it's something else you're talking about...then i'm sorry for that rambling.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-09-2007, 01:45 AM
no backup cds for computers

o_O
01-09-2007, 03:31 AM
It depends on what you want to back up.

In general, a backup disc is a CD or DVD that you would put important files onto so that you didn't lose them should your original files be lost or damaged.

I often use DVDs to back up my data when installing a new operating system, like Linux.
You can also use discs to make a secondary copy of audio CDs and games for PC or console.

To make a backup, you need to make sure that you have a CD burner in your computer. You'll also need some kind of CD/DVD burning software, like Nero or Alcohol 120%. The actual process of making a backup CD is simply a matter of putting the disc into the burner, opening your burning software and selecting the files or image that you want to make a backup of.

Dreddz
01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
no backup cds for computers

Yes, but theres no point to go to that hassle when you can download Virtual Drives.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-09-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks o_O

O_o

atlanteay
01-10-2007, 12:14 AM
lol..sorry about earlier then xD

i guess you can buy an external hard drive, and dump all the files you need into it. That's only if you're gonna format your current hard drive or you think your computer might be dying (like mine)

Dreddz
01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Im a little confused here, what exactly are you asking Tifa's Real Lover(really. You can make backup CD's for your PC, and any console for that matter, but theres no point for a backup PC game because you can run the games off your computer without the need of a CD. Thats a virtual drive. Theres plenty of them, DAEMON tools is the best one.

That answered your question ?

o_O
01-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Im a little confused here, what exactly are you asking Tifa's Real Lover(really. You can make backup CD's for your PC, and any console for that matter, but theres no point for a backup PC game because you can run the games off your computer without the need of a CD. Thats a virtual drive. Theres plenty of them, DAEMON tools is the best one.

That answered your question ?

If you plan on mounting disc images in order to play games/whatever without the disc in the drive, then you need to have that disc image on your hard drive. If you have a small drive, then that equals too much space taken up by images.
There is absolutely no point in virtual drives if the point of making a backup is to format and reinstall an operating system, or to have a secondary copy of data on your drive in case of a failure, for example.
The only practical use for a virtual drive is for mounting disc images in Windows, to save the physical CD from wear and tear.

Having said that, I only ever play games from images after ripping them to my hard drive, because it's a hell of a lot faster when it comes to loading times, and performing I/O, than running straight from the CD.

Also, to clarify, DaemonTools is not a virtual drive itself, but an interface between a virtual drive and the operating system. :p

Tifa's Real Lover(really
01-10-2007, 01:12 AM
i wasnt asking for anything except what was back up cds, i wanted however to burn a backup cd with music files so i can delete them off my computer cuase they are taking up too much space. but the question has already been answered, thank you all :p

rubah
01-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Windows has it's built in burning software, which for the purpose of burning a bunch of music files will do just fine. Just make sure you don't burn them as an audio cd.

Roto13
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, you're just basically asking how to burn a data CD. A backup CD is just a data CD. There's no trick to it.