PDA

View Full Version : The sociological problem

Besimudo
01-08-2007, 04:00 AM
The attitudes, perceptions and values held by a particular culture affect the way in which that culture conducts business. For over a centruy, sociologists have attempted to elucidate this issue with limited sucess. Max Weber is among the earliest scholars to focus on the relationship between behaviour and economic patterns. In The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Weber argued that the Protestant work ethic promoted the rise of Capitalism in the west. The attention to moral hygiene and emphasis on work promoted a strong sense of duty and private ownership. He argued that...if one examines a person closely, one will find that a connection exists between the person’s religious and his behaviour in the economic domain. This does not mean that one will consciously apply his [sic] religious beliefs or values to his economic activities. Instead, he tends to unconsciously translate values from his religious beliefs into areas that inspire his economic behaviour.

After his critique of Protestantism, Weber turned his attention to Confucianism. :mad2: He concluded that the economic behaviour consistent with eastern ethics was not individualistic and at odds with modernism. It was viewed that the confucian scholar attaches too much importance to the cultivation of a well-rounded personality for the best adaption to his environment, instead of an aggressive personality capable of mastering the world and conquering nature. For capitalism to be sucessful, one required the individualism and intention to progress themselves, and focus their efforts into reaching a goal.

The Weberian theory stood true until the 1970's, when Japan, an adhernt to eastern religion and ethics, emmerged as an economic super-power; and, its banks loaned more than 30% of total world credit. Clearly, the contention of religion and ethics as the basis of economic behaviour has little consistency with real world events.:)

P.S. I hope these rantings are more interesting.

Dr Aum
01-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Because Japan was just as religiously fervent in the 1970's as the US was when Weber wrote The Protestant Ethic. And because there are absolutely no extenuating circumstances. Ever.

Christmas
01-08-2007, 04:13 AM
The majority here worship Cidism and some Pipism. :bigsmile:

I am the only one that worship HATEISM. :bigsmile:

Martyr
01-08-2007, 04:17 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again!

I like beans

Besimudo
01-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Dr. Aum

The Japanese were delt a blow after the divinity of the chrisanthmum throne was secularised.

Martyr identifyed it in the Money tread to some degree ... thrift and savings have attributed towards wealth. I am not sure if Martyr is loyal to Ayn Rand yet ... but that is a minor issue.

Unfortunately the Japanese prosition is too thrifty and Abe is having a hard time stimulating Aggregate Demand.

P.S. it is pronounced Rynd not Rand ;)