PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Problem

Rostum
01-08-2007, 05:05 AM
I really would like some help with my monitor. Every time I boot my computer all it does is repeatbly turn on and off (even though everything is running fine).

I had the power in the power cable tested and everything is connected properly (there are no pins bent or anything like that).

It's very fustrating, please help! I have an IBM ThinkVision 17" LCD (flat panel). I want to be very sure it's the monitor that's doing this though.

P.S. It has happened before, but usually when you reboot a few times it fixes itself. =\ And it's not doing that. ; ;

Endless
01-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Test it on another computer to make sure it's the monitor and not something with your computer.

Rostum
01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
I just plugged in some old CRT and it's working fine. So it must be the monitor. Any ideas? Or would it be best to just take it in somewhere and get it repaired? (really not willing to spend $300AUD on another one of the same model)

ValiantKnight
01-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Haven't priced monitors lately, but the old word was, if you were repairing anything less than mid-price, buy a new one.

Monitor technicians don't come cheaply.

Any kind of warranty?(yeah.. those usually run out in 90 days).

o_O
01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
$AUD300 will get you more than a 17" LCD; even $NZ300 will get you a 19". :p

You'll probably be better off getting a new monitor. Keep in mind, moreso with monitors than most other parts of your computer, you pay through the nose for a brand name. Especially Philips, don't bother with those.

You will likely find a little known brand supplies parts to the bigger companies, who rebrand and charge more for the same product. (Take Sony Bravia TVs, for example, they use Samsung panels and a 40" retails for $NZD4500, but a Samsung 40" using an identical panel retails at $NZD3200.)

So, I recommend you go for a lesser known manufacturer, such as Polyview, Hanns-G or Chimei, etc. You'd obviously want to make sure the quality is ok: brightness, response time, contrast, etc.
My 19" Polyview is fantastic, so if you need an endorsement, there it is. :p

Otherwise, if you'd rather get it repaired, you can take it to most small-time computer vendors, who'll give you a cheap diagnostic, to find out if it's worth it.

Rostum
01-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Mmm thanks.

I might go check out a couple of the local computer repair stores around where I am at the moment.

o_O, what kind of model is it? And would it be worth getting it in widescreen? I can't seem to find one cheaper than $300AUD either -- well online at least.

Thanks for your help guys. ^^

o_O
01-09-2007, 03:25 AM
I have a Polyview V396, distributed by <a href="http://www.protac.com.au/">Protac</a>. It probably has a bunch of other model names though. It has an 8ms response time, and the best brightness I've seen in a monitor. I paid $NZD300 for it, but the price online was greater than it actually was in the store.

I personally can't stand widescreens; I feel like I'm losing out on vertical screen space. :p
You'll also pay substantially more for a widescreen.

After a bit of searching, it does apear that Australian-based vendors are a little more expensive than down here, so you may be out of luck there, unfortunately. Still, definitely check around local vendors, because many will have cheaper stock not listed online.

<a href="http://www.rustylime.com/show_article.php?id=237">Here</a> is a review on my monitor; the guy who wrote it is pretty happy. :p
He does mention a dead pixel - I also have a stuck pixel, but it took a year to appear, which is very good for an LCD.

Rostum
01-12-2007, 06:58 AM
o_O, doesn't look like they sell that model anymore, or if they do it's a different model (they're called Chimei as well, now).

I'll keep having a look around, but I want to know what you think of this:
CMV Chimie (http://www.ddcomputer.com.au/index.php?body=des&id=CMV-221D&cat=MON&title1=Buy+Chimei+CMV%20221D&title2=22inch%20widescreen%20LCD%20monitor,%201680*1050%20WSXGA%20resolution,%205ms%20response%20tim e,%20800:1%20contrast%20ratio,%20DVI%20and%20D-Sub%20inputs,%20silver%20black%20in%20colour&title3=Price+$395.00)
It seems rather cheap for the size, so maybe it's not as good as I think it is.

I stumbled upon this (http://www.benq.com.au/products/LCD/?product=838&page=features) and it looks very nice. A respectable brand I think. So depending on how much it is, I may just get an early birthday present. ;)

Tell me what you think.

o_O
01-13-2007, 03:27 AM
I would go for the Chimei, partially because a BenQ will cost you a lot more, and partially because I know that they are fantastic monitors.

It has an excellent contrast ratio (800:1 as opposed to 700:1 of the BenQ); better brightness (330ccm^2 vs. 300ccm^2) and slightly larger viewing area.

The colours are a few less (16.2million vs. 16.7million), but the section of the spectrum that the Chimei is incapable of won't lead to any noticeable discolouration.

That's my (biased) opinion.

Rostum
01-13-2007, 05:26 AM
o_O, I almost came close to buying a Chimei. I've heard good things about them... but I'm also really fond of Asus.

So I looked up this piece (http://www.asus.com.au/products2.aspx?l1=10&l2=89), and saw it was around 600-700 dollars in stores (usually). But I found a really great well known store in Melbourne called MSY (http://www.msy.com.au), and they were willing to sell it to me for 429 dollars plus 3-year warranty. So I will be picking it up in 5 days. :D

P.S. They were going to charge me 350-400 for the 22" Chimei, so it's not really that much more. And I really like the case design from Asus (and have always had good luck with them in the past, not to mention some good reviews of it).

P.P.S I know a lot of monitors use the Chimei panels, but not sure about this Asus -- and I'm not sure if Samsung use the Chimei panels.

P.P.P.S MYS treat you like absolute crap, but they have everything you need, no questions asked, and cheap! So no complaining there.