Thread: A Sketch - The Holy Sword

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Default A Sketch - The Holy Sword

A fairly quick sketch I did. Some cleaning was done in photoshop(I am really bad about stray lines). Unfortunately I sort of messed up some of my edges(they are rougher and less even).

And is it me or did I make the blade crooked?

Anyways, plans for improving the sketch is

1- I am thinking of extending the blade a bit(feels a bit short to me).
    2- Make sure the edges are fully cleaned and level(it is a bit choppy right now).
    3- if I can figure out how to shade appropriately in PhotoShop of the GIMP I would like to add some shading.
    4- if I get really ambitious I might try to detail his hands and have the guy holding a sword pointing down. But that is a bit if.

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Well...uh..It is a ncie sword...and yes the blade is a little crooked...and also the handle is also crooked =|.Overall it is really nice because of the detailed drawing of the wings and also the handle of the blade...Still..just my opinion is..I don't think the handle should be over detailed...but what can I say...I can't do that myself so I want to agree that it is a nice sword.

想要對妳說的 不敢說的愛

Drat, definately got to fix the crookedness. And I even used a ruler and level to try and get it straight(apparently wasn't paying enough attention).

From a usability stand point I would agree with your assessment on the handle shouldn't be over detailed. But for an artistic/showy point[think a sword that is more meant to impress rather than be used] the handles and pommels(I think) have been highly detailed in the past as well as in the present.

In addition I wanted to keep the symbolism there. And I needed some details for that.

Actually I would be interested to see people's interpretations of the symbolism I placed in the drawing .

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Blog Entries

The best way to make an object symmetric is to cut it in half, copy the layer, and mirror it. This may not work so wonderfully here, as the pommel shoots so far off to the side; it would make the bottom of the grip and pommel wider than the rest of the sword's handle area. If you were only to work more on this in digital format, you might want to bust out a warp tool to help set the handle a bit more straight.

In the center of the hilt, beneath the halo, you could also consider adding a crest of some sort for even more flair.

For a basic architecture of a sword, [here].

Commenting on it as a weapon, I think it looks like a one-handed sword with a short blade. Extending the grip would make it usable as both as a one-handed or two-handed weapon, and as you extend the handle, why not the blade as well?

Yeah, if it isn't noticable I am glad but I cheated on the mail. I copied and pasted the mail to keep it similar on both sides. That was when I first found that something wasn't quite right :rolleyes2

And that warp tool is very powerful. Never really had a use for it before, but it can sure fix my inability to draw straight pretty easily.

As for the Crest, you mean sort of as if the warrior has an overcoat(is that the right term?) with a coat of arms on it? I originally thought of doing that, but by the time I got much of the mail and wings done I was kinda tuckered... and I am not sure if I could easily affix such in photoshop thought I'll give it a go as my next step.

Oh yes, and since if I recall right you are good at positioning type stuff Her Majesty's Agent Umaro, what should I do to get the Halo to be higher in the back and falling in front? I have been playing and trying to get it but I don't think I am there yet.

Blog Entries

Is good, but I don't get the circle around the begining of the sword!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Angel View Post
    Is good, but I don't get the circle around the begining of the sword!
    *rubs hands together*

The entire lowdown is coming up.

Since you asked about the halo I will start there.

The halo is supposed to be unlevel(which I think I did a bad job at doing). Anyways the halo represents two things. One it represents how while religion stands for one thing its members often act in a way that doesn't conform(or in other words it isn't on the level). The second thing it represents is that the halo is covering his mouth. In general many religions are explorative or debative of their own ideals. Thus the halo is silencing his questions.

The reason why the object is a sword. A sword is a tool. In and of itself it isn't bad or good. However, it can be used as a tool of war. Religion is often used as such. Thus the shape of the object represents that.

The 'angel wings' represent the good the religions generally talk about standing for.

The crown on his head represents how many religions feel they are superior to others by their belief system.

The mail is just another symbolism of war and conflict(may as well keep with the theme).

The gem stands for how religion has in the past fallen into greed(or at least those in power have fallen to greed; take it however you wish).

That is just a quick overview.

Blog Entries

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that's great!

Anyone got a suggestion for a crest or coat of arms that would fit with my overall theme but address another angle? I think my creative symbolism ran dry on me(that or I am just tired).