Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Job evaluations

Well, useless is a strong word >_>.

But to make up for it, I guess that a ranger in the back row is better than a knight up front with one weapon and shield.

I had a White Mage and Black Mage each at Job Level 99, and I have had cases where they would do more damage (with physical attacks and not magic) than the Red Mages at lower Job Levels. So I suppose any class can be very useful if you raise the Job Levels.

You could, of course, raise all the classes to Job Level 99, but it would take a whole lot of time--even with the Job Level Trick (i.e. have everyone defend for 5-6 turns and just fight the Goblins around Ur).

Anyone tried a party of four Vikings yet?

*hums "I am a Viking" by Yngwie Malmsteen*

Quote Originally Posted by FF_Dude View Post
    I had a White Mage and Black Mage each at Job Level 99, and I have had cases where they would do more damage (with physical attacks and not magic) than the Red Mages at lower Job Levels. So I suppose any class can be very useful if you raise the Job Levels.

You could, of course, raise all the classes to Job Level 99, but it would take a whole lot of time--even with the Job Level Trick (i.e. have everyone defend for 5-6 turns and just fight the Goblins around Ur).
    I think Job lvls increase your accuracy and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionedd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FF_Dude View Post

I think Job lvls increase your accuracy and such.
    what your job level does, varies depending on what job it is. As you can see, certain jobs get stat bonuses if you like at character status. The higher the job level, the higher the stat bonus.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

I use my FF1-5 party of Warrior, WM, BM, RM. Red Mage being Heal/Buff. It works pretty well. At lava cave.
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

So, a theif would have higher agility and a Knight would have a higher strength and vitality.

I generally level up everyone as a BB untill they master the bare-handed fighting ability. Then I use that skill to level up my WM,BM, or any of the other classes that only get weak weapons.

I know most people are you going to say this is a crappy group of jobs but I have. One Black Mage, one White Mage, one Warrior, and one Monk. Im only like two hours into the game. So these are the only jobs I have avaliable to me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChaos View Post
    I know most people are you going to say this is a crappy group of jobs but I have. One Black Mage, one White Mage, one Warrior, and one Monk. Im only like two hours into the game. So these are the only jobs I have avaliable to me right now.
    That's a pretty standard group actually. I found the thief to be one of the best offensive physical attackers. Their agility gets so high and they get so many hits from it, it's crazy.

The Dragoon seems to be a real powerhouse. I have him at level 50 job 99 and he is doing 9999 damage via attack or jump in the Anchients Maze.

I basically have Ninja attack, Dragoon jump, Magus use drain, Devout use protect... and I breezed through Eureka.

Not only does the Knight have CAPE they are adequete good fighters and can use Excalibur. For the final I had Knight, 2 ninjas, and a sage

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    ...from what I've read online, the Knight job looks incredibly useless--it's basically a Warrior with more emphasis on defense...
    You're kidding, right? The Knight can cover other characters, defend better, has overall better stats (I'm pretty sure), and cast Level 1 White Magic. I am rarely without one of these guys in my party. Later, of course, it's probably a good idea to switch jobs and/or experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
    I generally level up everyone as a BB untill they master the bare-handed fighting ability. Then I use that skill to level up my WM,BM, or any of the other classes that only get weak weapons.
    FF3 has no system for retaining class abilities. You're probably thinking of FF5. Plus, there are no skills like "Bare-handed" in FF3. Just throwing this out there. The FF3 Job system is markedly different from the one in FF5.

P.S.: If I have hurt anyone's feelings with this post, you may rest assured that this was not my intention.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I guess the first thing I would say about job evaluations is that, although they did a great job in doing so and really improved alot of jobs, at the end of the game there are just classes that are really good and ones that aren't useful.

First, some of the jobs you talked about:
    Warrior - actually a very solid choice anyway you slice it. One thing I did that was interesting my last playthrough was to give him a bow and arrow and put him in the back, early in the game. With a decent bow and arrows, he can deliver a good amount of damage, plus the armor and stamina makes him highly resistent to physical damage. Alot like Barret in VII.

Viking - another good choice, even higher defense than a warrior, and still gets some solid weapons end game, though it doesn't compare to the later ones i'll get into.

Dark Knight - probably one of the best jobs in the game, because of the fact that it can dual wield Ragnarok and Masamune. I don't think I need to go beyond that.

Knight - possibly the best fighting class in the game because it can equip crystal armor, and Excalibur and Ragnarok.

Dragoon - it seems a few people have overlooked this compared to the ninja or knight. You can get 2 sets of Crystal armor endgame, so the dragoon is already ahead of many classes. But with the Holy and Dragon lances, this job really rivals the Knight.

Bard - this is where we get to what i was talking about earlier. Seeing how bards usually get trashed on in FF, I wanted to see how I could make use of one in III, and they are very useful for a good part of the game. Madhura Harp allows you to cast protect on all characters, although the white mage can only cast one at a time. Loki Harp casts haste on all, as the white mage can only cast 1 at a time here too. Dream Harp restores an ok amount of HP to everyone, but you have to level up the job to get it decent. Also, none of this uses MP, so in a lot of ways, the bard is better thant he white mage.

And then there's the Lamia Harp. I don't know how many people know this, but I think this harp's song deals 9999 damage against all enemies in the Final Battle usually it deals miniscule damage, decent to undead, but when I played the final boss the first time around (don't want to spoil this) it dealed 9999 to all enemies.

The only problem is the Bard doesn't have what it takes to push you through the endgame. Even at high levels, dream harp isn't reliable as a healing source. The songs are ok, but you're really better off having a devout, who can cast a wider number of spells and full heal and full life at will. The bard has to use phoenix downs to revive, and this won't cut it in the endgame.

The Geomancer has the same fate. Don't get me wrong, this job will get you through most of the game - the spells are usually just as, if not more powerful than a Black Mage's, and even though it's random, there's only at most 3 enemies at a time, so it almost always works in your favor. The fact that it doesn't consume MP makes this job alot better than the Black Mage. But in the final battle, you really want to be able to control who is targeted with the magic, so the magus/sage/summoner all block this class out.

the jobs of ninja/knight/dark knight/sage/summoner/devout/magus/and dragoon are all superior to the rest of the job system in their sheer usefulness. I think they really did a great job in balancing the jobs out, but they just didn't quite get there. maybe with the moogle sidequests, but i have yet to do those.

One class that I will say has been greatly improved is the Scholar. Despite using magic, once you get the scholar robe and hat, this really is a melee character. The damage it can put out from books is stunning, especially as you gain job levels. I think in a side dungeon you can get a book which does a lot of damage. Plus this job can double the use of items, so high potions and spell items become that much more effective. Add in sight and you have an all around great job. I don't know about endgame though.

Just some of my thoughts, I know there's alot more to get into.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

So far from playing. The only class that seems useless is the Freelancer~

My Current party consists of an Evoker (I suppose the first Mage classes CAN be considered useless :S IF I ever find this last spliffing crystal ever >_<), Dark Knight, Dragoon (Already getting 9999 jumps on flyers at JL24) and the Token Whitemage Refia (Devout Kitty :3).

edit: My Endgame will Consist of a Bard and a Dragoon so far. apparently the bards damage gets real real real high in the final job levels. but suck really early on only being a wonderful support class as to a DD.
    Last edited by Markus. D; 06-09-2007 at 08:14 AM.