Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Job evaluations

Just looking for a variance of opinions initially; I'm just past the Tower of Owen, so I only have the first set of jobs open.

More specifically, from what I've read online, the Knight job looks incredibly useless--it's basically a Warrior with more emphasis on defense, and only the Viking has the Provoke ability. With no hate system in the game, there doesn't seem to be any way to make mobs hit the Knight instead of whoever the hell they want, which eliminates the Knight's usefulness as a tank. How do you get mileage out of the job?

Is Samurai any good?

Do the jobs have any specific weapon proficiencies? I'm used to FFXI, so I'm accustomed to Warriors dual wielding axes because of a high axe proficiency--in FFIII, shouldn't I just equip the warrior with the highest damage weapons I can find, or is there any advantage to sticking with axes?

with the knight, for the little time that i have him (before the next class upgrade) i now just equip him with 2 shields, front row, and defend every turn. And when other party members go into the yellow, he covers thier damage until he dies. So he is good for a good 8-10 hits on normal monsters, before i ever have to use a cure! But thats just my view, i think Jackal had a similar way too.

Samurai? Dont know, i think they took them out of this one.

No, there are no proficiencies in this, although certain classes can only weild certain weapons and armor.. IE warriors cannot equip rods or robes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

as I said with a Knight, which is the class that can equip ragnarok/excalibur, which you will want, I typically put two shields on him. If I know monsters only attack physically in an area, I leave my other 3 characters always in yellow. He defends everyturn in the BACKROW. He covers the other three and takes no more than like, 10 damage. Basically making your party invincible against any physical attacks, though magic would kill everyone.

Knight is one of the best classes in the game

idk what this "samurai" is, there is no samurai in this game.

Equip the best weapons at the time, though be aware some weapons have elements which even though are weaker ATP wise, will do more damage against certain enemies. And with my thief, sometimes I leave two long range weapons on him so he can stay in the back row, even if they aren't his strongest weapons. Mages, just use the magic casting rods every turn.

My final party will probably be, Knight, Ninja, Devout, Summoner. Black magic pales in comparison to summons at the end, and Devout is the best healer without a doubt. Knight and Ninja can equip the 4 best weapons in the game, plus Ninja can throw shurikens for massive damage.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

They left samurai out? Drat, I loved them in FFV :<

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Bleys View Post
    They left samurai out? Drat, I loved them in FFV :<
    well considering this game first, it's really like the samurai was a new addition to FFV, and a really good one. Gil Toss was amazing. But no, there is no Samurai in this game.

Freelancer
    Warrior
    Knight
    Dragoon
    Dark Knight
    Viking
    Thief
    Ninja
    Monk
    Ranger
    Scholar
    Devout
    White Mage
    Sage
    Geomancer
    Bard
    Evoker
    Summoner
    Magus
    Black Mage
    Red Mage
    Onion Knight
    Black Belt

There is no particular order as to how I listed these classes, just put them all as I thought of them.

THE JACKEL

Actually, knights grow to be stronger than warriors in the end. I have one in my party, replacing a warrior.

Samurai isn't in the DS version.

No.

Jackal, why no dragoon?
    Last edited by Hambone; 06-09-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Because Knight and Ninja are the best two attackers for the final boss, and I also want two magic users, being a Devout and a Summoner. I've never been a huge fan of dragoons, and hate the Kain fanboys from FFIV who think he's the best character ever.

THE JACKEL

OMFG! KAIN IS TEH 1337SAUCE!!!!!

Still, dragoons have a pretty sweet outfit, and dual spears are pretty fun ^^

plus, kinda wimpy, leavin battle for a while
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Knight will cover allies in critical health status. So, if you're fighting enemies that rely solely on physical attacks, you can give him dual-shields and use Defend to absorb any and all damage for your teammates if you keep them at critical health.

In addition, only the Knight can equip Excalibur, though you won't get that until the final dungeon.

Just experiment with what jobs you like best. All the jobs in this version are reasonably well-balanced, so any party with a dedicated healer should succeed.

Warning: Long Post

Where you are now, you have the Warrior, Thief, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage. I suggest one or two Warriors, a Monk, a White Mage, and maybe a Red Mage. Black Magic isn't all that effective in that stage of the game. Be warned, in Hein's Castle, black magic is almost essential to beating the boss.

Right after the Tower of Owen, you're very close to getting your second compliment of classes. Use the Geomancers. They are incredibly good. Even if you only use them to attack, they're really good. They're mostly treated as a mage class, but they're a very effective fighting class. the Terrain skill has the issue that its random, but it can be effective in certain circumstances.

(SPOILER)Near the end of the game there are actually three classes that can equip the best weapons in the game. It rather disappoints me that there isn't a second powerful long range weapon. But I digress...

The Knight can equip Excalibur and Ragnarok. Until this point I have found little use for a knight. I'd be just as well off with a caster or another melee class. About the knight becoming better than the Warrior, I don't know, but it can certainly equip better weapon in late-game. The warrior does much more damage than the knight mid-game. Especially with his Advance ability.
    The Ninja can equip Masamune and Moonring Blade, as well as any other Dark Blades, including the Kiku, which has a higher attack than the Moonring Blade The Dark Knight can also equip Masamune and Kiku. He cannot equip the Moonring Blade, and can't throw Shurikens, but he can deal with groups very well using his special ability.

As for casters, I used a Devout and a Sage at the end game. I pretty much knew the sage would go last due to his low speed, so I planned accordingly. I never used Summons, mostly because I could only effectively use them so late in the game that I was needing two healers at that point anyway. Or at least, I felt far more secure with two healers. Two casts of Haste is very effective in the first round. You could probably get away with only using one healer and relying on elixers, which by that time you could reasonably use anyway.
    A group of three Ninjas would be interesting... three shurikens per turn... vicious.

Realistically, the easiest party to beat the final boss with is probably Devout Sage Ninja and Knight. You get the uber weapons of doom with the Ninja and Knight, you get the Shurikens, and the Sage and Devout can either haste or heal every turn, thereby allowing you to continue fighting a long fight.
    The project that was awesome, has fallen apart... oh well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Next query

I've just unlocked the Bard class -- is there any way to control what effects he gives? I've been playing around and I seem to get Minne first no matter what, and if I try to sing overtop of Minne, I get nothing.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I believe the effect of Sing changes depending on what Harp the Bard has equipped. Equip different harps for different status effects.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aha, so I'm much too early in the game to get much use out of a bard...I just got the class unlocked, so I'm probably better off changing Arc back to blm.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, but later on, the Bard can become the ultimate support character with multi-targetting buffs and recovery songs. But earlier on they won't be as useful.

Eh, Im stickin with a Bard anyway for a Viking, Bard, Dark Knight and Dragoon team.

Im at Amur, havent even touched Goldors manor, but i got teh 1337 shoes!

Im soo screwed at this point >< But brute health and force will win! *grinds 40 levels*