Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: This game definitly recieves too much hate

Actually, I can pretty much confirm that the character development in FF8 sucked big time.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

The character development might not have been great (save Squall), but the character's personalities were the best yet and are still the best, in my opinion.

Well i didnt finish XII up yet...i stopped playing around 90 hours to start my side project of playing VII, VIII and IX again...its just the old ones have totally sucked me in like FFs used too.

Im not one to care about IGN or other game site ratings but VIII scored pretty good, that has to account for something.

I dunno...i think the characters are pretty good, not the best but pretty good. The game just gets too much negative attention from people when there is just nothing that truely stands out as bad in it, its a love story, i think it does a love story just fine.
    Last edited by Setharion; 01-15-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    -=-Setharion-=-
    If you love RPGs check out this link:http://www.konamistars.com/konamistars/?u=setharion

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

so some FF8 haters have high standards.

just because something is comparitively bad to something else, doesn't mean its not good.

i loved the personalities. some people could say they are forced but oh well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

The characters develop just like any other rpg...theres nothing that is stand out significant different about the plot or characters of one game to the next. People that throw around the idea of "forced plot" imho are just trying to find a way to look more intelligent than someone else, thats just how i percieve it.

The game starts off like any other game...just getting to know who is who and whats what, there is no drastic different between this game and another rpgs characters. And like all other rpgs it gets more and more serious as it goes on.

I just find it funny when people use a term like "forced plot".
    -=-Setharion-=-
    If you love RPGs check out this link:http://www.konamistars.com/konamistars/?u=setharion

People are going to love or hate whatever they like. I can understand disliking something in comparison to something else: e.g. FFVIII called anything but Final Fantasy would've still been a good game and likely wouldn't have upset so many people. I loved the game (disclaimer there, heh) but it does seem like they thought "omg we forgot this was FF quick change the headmaster's name to Cid and throw in chocobos".

Personally I get in a huff when people gush about SO3. If you played and liked SO2, SO3 should irk you on a spiritual level. But that's a discusson for a different forum
    Signature = lame excuse to use the heart emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblekin View Post
    People are going to love or hate whatever they like. I can understand disliking something in comparison to something else: e.g. FFVIII called anything but Final Fantasy would've still been a good game and likely wouldn't have upset so many people. I loved the game (disclaimer there, heh) but it does seem like they thought "omg we forgot this was FF quick change the headmaster's name to Cid and throw in chocobos".

Personally I get in a huff when people gush about SO3. If you played and liked SO2, SO3 should irk you on a spiritual level. But that's a discusson for a different forum
    Heh its funny you say that cuz thats the same feeling i get with FF XII, it doesnt feel like FF at all to me.

But VIII does, of course at the time it didnt...thats why i played through it back in 99 and just moved on, didnt do anything special in it. And now its been years and after seeing XII, VIII feels like a completely new final fantasy to me. Which, i think the only major difference back in the day was the junction and draw system, without that...its final fantasy all the way.

Either way, the game is a blast...loving the hell out of it unlike my first play through.
    -=-Setharion-=-

what i don't get is why people defend FF12 so much despite its flaws. It is far more untraditional than FF8. There was no inns, few gils, different battle systems, bad character personalities. Everything is different except a few songs yet people defend it more than anything.

also, gamespot gave ff8 a higher score than 12. I fell asleep playing 12. 8 was funny, fun, and interesting. It had great potential but a few plot twists made it less great. Still, i love the game so i don't care what others hate about it.

The reason I called the people here pathetic is because i'm finding that alot more people who hate FFVIII are trolling here versus the people who actually enjoy the game.

Example: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=100064

"corncracker" in this thread has contributed NOTHING to the thread except his completely uneccesary posts and the annoying signature that has to enforce his thoughts about FF8.

i think this game gets praised more then it deserves. i dont hate the game but i got everything in the game my first run through beat omega weapon and now i dont see a reason to ever play it agian nor do i think i ever will. where as other final fantasies ive replayed numerous times.

the junction system - the problem with this was you had a choice to keep your characters strong or wekaen them and hit the enemy with spells. because i wanted to keep my characters strong i didnt even get to cast every spell. plus drawing from enemies could take hours to get 100 of every spell they ahd with every character.

the world map - kinda boreing but then again only world maps i really liked were FFIV and FFIX, FFVI world of balance was good too. i like how you can see the trains in FFVIII though.

summons - i dindt mind the long summon time btu some of the summons were kinda dumb it was hit and miss really.

characters - squall was cool irvine was cool except for the perv thing. the rest kinda boreing and dumb to me.

story - didnt make much sense.

but none the less i did like this game and do not think it deserves to be called the worst FF but in no way would i consider it the best FF.

and one reason this game recieves so much hate is because fans of this game tend to compare ti to others and say VIII is better then it (from what ive noticed) and that angers people who love the game your mocking but then again otherr FF fans do the same but ive noticed it mroe with VIII and VII then any other.
    Last edited by Lynx; 01-15-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Quote Originally Posted by Shlnsengumi View Post
    The reason I called the people here pathetic is because i'm finding that alot more people who hate FFVIII are trolling here versus the people who actually enjoy the game.

"corncracker" in this thread has contributed NOTHING to the thread except his completely uneccesary posts and the annoying signature that has to enforce his thoughts about FF8.
    I rather enjoy corncracker's infamous hatred of FFVIII

You do realize what a joke is right? It is something not meant to be taken seriously. If you really want me to contribute something to that thread and thouroughly explain my reasoning I'll be more than happy to.

Until then I will continue to leave my meaningless posts of FF VIII sucks and enjoy doing so. Just remember that pointing that out is just as meaningless as me making that post in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by corncracker View Post

You do realize what a joke is right? It is something not meant to be taken seriously. If you really want me to contribute something to that thread and thouroughly explain my reasoning I'll be more than happy to.

Until then I will continue to leave my meaningless posts of FF VIII sucks and enjoy doing so. Just remember that pointing that out is just as meaningless as me making that post in the first place.
    Well i'm glad you acknowledge your meaningless posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    i think this game gets praised more then it deserves.
    I think they all do. They're video games...if you want an epic plot, go read Lord of the Rings ;D
    Signature = lame excuse to use the heart emoticons

Although FF8 wasn't my favourite, I still love the game to bits. The only problem with my version is that I don't have the last disc... so I've never actually finished the game. Heh.

I quite liked the music, especially Liberi Fatali (or whatever it was called), but I don't think it was the best in the series. But at least the graphics were good. Very good indeed.
    I think the love story was a bit forced too, and the plot was a little annoying, but in any case, the game was fun and that's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.