Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i hate bass

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blah, I will have my own edited messages, thank you very much.
    Last edited by NorthernChaosGod; 01-18-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Once you get used to hearing a good bass line, songs without any bass, or even synth bass, just don't sound as good. Granted, it takes some good hearing and concentration to gain the full benefits of a bass line, but in the end, once you've heard the masterful bass playing by musicians such as Chris Squire and Roger Waters, a bass' presence will never be fully replaced by synths, and no bass at all, as Peter20 said, makes for a really dry, empty sound.

Maybe it depends on which genre you're listening to. Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it. And in some other genres, the bass is actually brought up far too loud, such as in some rap or techno songs. But in a regular classic rock track like I listen to, it can make all the rhythmic difference between a good and bad song.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent, Thunder God View Post
    Maybe it depends on which genre you're listening to. Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it.
    just to be pedantic a lot of punk is actually bass driven for example new model army, crass, cramps are all bass heavy (esp new model army) the fact that a lot of punk bass players use picks and trebly bass settings may be the cause of your confusion
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Punk and hard rock, for example, often drown out the bass, and it's presence adds little if you can't hear it.
    What? Listen to Bachs 3rd Brandenburgh concerto. You can't really hear the bass most of the time, but it's hands down the most important part of the music.

Although, playing a musical instrument is an overrated skill anyway. It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.

Quote Originally Posted by nik0tine View Post
    Although, playing a musical instrument is an overrated skill anyway. It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.
    Of course nik0tine, thats why every bass player can if they wish play like Les Claypool, every drummer like Neil Peart, every guitarist like Steve Vai. it takes years of practise, an understanding (and love) of music and a good ear, talent is the product of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI-1sq5dFD4
    Last edited by blim; 01-17-2007 at 04:26 AM.
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't require any shred of talent to be able to play an instrument well.
    O RLY?

While mostly a wank fest, you can honestly tell me that doesn't take talent?

Of course nik0tine, thats why every bass player can if they wish play like Les Claypool, every drummer like Neil Peart, every guitarist like Steve Vai. it takes years of practise, an understanding (and love) of music and a good ear, talent is the product of that.
    Hard work is the product of that. Anyone with fingers can play bass like Les Claypool. All it takes is time and practice. It's writing music that takes talent.

Yes. I am that egotistical.

No, Nik0tine you are saying hard work is the product of hard work. Performing music well is as much of a skill as writing music, and any decent musician writes as well. Either in composition or improvisation. True given time and practise anyone could potentially copy Les although it would still not be quite the same. Also talent isn't neccessarily natural, it can be learned. Your argument is a bit like saying anyone with legs could play football like Ronaldinho, frankly absurd. And i suspect you know that.

Do you play an instrument? Can you write music? There is a clear distinction between those two skills. Putting virtuoso piano playing on the same level as composing is like taking a on Mozarts face. Anybody can play Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, etc. on piano with enough practice. Nobody (and by nobody I mean very, very few) can compose like Mozart no matter how much time and effort they put into music.

Composing requires talent. Playing requires practice. One deserves a whole hell of a lot more respect than the other.

Edit: It's kind of like saying it takes as much skill to read a novel as it does to write one. It's absurd.

Yes and yes. Although it is possible to separarte the two skills they are normally connected, most composers play and most musicians write. You appear to be concentrating on natural talent which is slightly different.

And composition is something that can be learned to a degree by learning about music theory, for example i know that using the key of D minor will help to convey a certain feel and that an imperfect cadence will produce a particular effect etc

Both skills deserve a lot of respect, both can be learned to a certain degree but the best practitioners of both arts have some natural talent that sets them apart from the majority.

btw i guess you write judging from the opinions you hold. i hope the musicians you write for dont know you think they are talentless and worthy of little respect

And composition is something that can be learned to a degree by learning about music theory, for example i know that using the key of D minor will help to convey a certain feel and that an imperfect cadence will produce a particular effect etc
    And with that knowledge creativity is born. When you play an instrument the only thing you can do is reproduce what has already been written. Instruments are a tool for a composer, but instrumentalists who don't or can't compose are far inferior to composers, even if that composers has never touched a musical isntrument in his life.

the best practitioners of both arts have some natural talent that sets them apart from the majority.
    When you are the 'best' at anything you are always seperated from the majority.

btw i guess you write judging from the opinions you hold. i hope the musicians you write for dont know you think they are talentless and worthy of little respect
    Yes, I do write, but don't worry. No instrumentalists are interested in playing my garbage music.

I really cant think offhand (although it is 5:30 am here so thinking isn't a strong point right now, if ever) of any musicians who dont compose (outside of classical music), it is part of being a musician. True, slavishly copying something takes practise rather than talent but it is still a skill worthy of respect.

I really cant think offhand (although it is 5:30 am here so thinking isn't a strong point right now, if ever) of any musicians who dont compose (outside of classical music), it is part of being a musician.
    I can. They're called cover bands. Or highschoolers. Thats besides the point though, I think. Many musicians do compose and I respect them for that. But I definetly think playing music and writing music needs to be seperated. Today, many people who know nothing about music would argue that someone who composes music on a computer is not a 'talented' musician. Among these people, playing music actually gets more respect than composing, which is asanine.

And although playing virtuoso peices commands respect, it's the hard work that deserves respect and it says nothing about musical talent. I wouldn't call a virtuoso pianist or guitarist a talented musician. I'd say they were a skilled guitar/piano player. I think there is a big difference between the two.

Today, many people who know nothing about music would argue that someone who composes music on a computer is not a 'talented' musician.
    And they would be wrong, writing music is a talent whatever tools you use. But i still feel you are being somewhat disparaging about musicians, i'll leave that there though as otherwise we would just be going round in circles.

My brother, being a bassist in a band and school orchestra, says the following: Fisher, You're a waste of oxygen.

I must agree. You see, I play cello, which very often plays the melody that the basses have in orchestral music. Without the bass line, a song can sound dry, as mentioned earlier. Would you please think before you write a thread? Thank you, come again.