Thread: Do Vincent and Sephiroth use the same "model"?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do Vincent and Sephiroth use the same "model"?

*Note: Not sure if "model" is the right word, but what I mean is the character model used to create each characters animations*

I am asking because, not only do they have similar physical traits to them, but whenever a cheat device is initiated, to models for Vincent and Sephiroth tend to "overlap" to some degree.

Apparently* during if Vincent is present when you're in the debug menu, he will some times have Sephiroth's picture and/or equipment (menu only). If you have enabled Sephiroth as a character using X-Plode he will have Vincent's equipment (again menu only), also if you use X-Plode to give everybody their Ultimiate Weapons (including Vincent) you will see a strange side effect during Cloud's stories about Sephiroth. If you go into the "equip" menu, Sephiroth will have "Death Penalty" as his equiped weapon instead of massamune, and Cloud (even stranger) will have the HP Shout! If you enter a battle, Sephiroth and Cloud will still be holding their usual weapons (Sephiroth at least - Cloud will have one of his swords, usually a dark red one.) but when Sephiroth uses his sword, the sound effect will be that of a gunshot, the same one you hear when using Vincent. (Cloud of course, will produce a Cait Sith "punch" sound while attacking at this stage).

I was just wondering. I have always wondered, but assumed it was an X-Plode thing, but I did some reading and found that other devices created at least the Sephiroth/Vincent connection.

*Because I have not been to the FFVII Debug Menu myself.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm guessing the Sephiroth and Cloud from the flashback are stored in the same location as Vincent and Cait Sith, similar to Eiko and Marcus in FF IX

The biggest giveaway of this would be that in the PC version, using the program JENOVA to edit your saved games allows you to see stats of party members you've not yet recruited. Until you meet Cait Sith and Vincent, their character slots are occupied by Young Cloud and Sephiroth respectively.

So yes, Vincent and Sephiroth do have shared spaces in the data.

It's probably to save memory on cape animation

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for answering.