Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Coke or Pepsi?

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
    Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 432,000,000 for pop [definition].

Results 1 - 10 of about 39,900,000 for soda [definition].

Pop FTW.
    That's because "pop" has multiple meanings. It's just used incorrectly to describe carbonated drinks.
    so·da /ˈsoʊdə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[soh-duh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun

1. sodium hydroxide.
    2. sodium monoxide.
    3. sodium carbonate (def. 2).
    4. sodium, as in carbonate of soda.
    5. soda water.
    6. a drink made with soda water, flavoring, such as fruit or other syrups, and often ice cream, milk, etc.
    7. soda pop.
    8. (in faro) the card turned up in the dealing box before one begins to play.

And when you first google soda the first link is:
    "Includes the Soda Constructor, a Java applet that animates two dimensional models made out of masses and springs."

Also:
    Sodium carbonate (washing soda or soda ash); Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda); Sodium carbonate ... Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda" ...

Conclusion, your point is moot.

Pop wins again.

Boldly go.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I like how you didn't address anything I said. And the point isn't moot, because pop has 50 other definitions used more commonly than the one meaning a carbonated drink, whereas it is by fair the most commonly used definition of soda.

Soda wins again!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I don't drink soda anymore, but when I did [strike]Coke[/strike] Pepsi was better since it [strike]didn't taste as strong[/strike] tasted better.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    But I don't drink much pop nowadays.
    Must be because it's no longer the fifties.
    I don't understand. Is this a reference to temperature? Pop at 50 degrees would be OK I guess, but even if it's not in the 50's I'd probably drink it. What an odd thing to say.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That's the worst part about "pop" sayers - they think they're clever. When in fact they're just eccentric geezers.

I go for pepsi I love it.
    warriorboy && battlingbard.

hahah look at all the people who don't know what's going on and said something other than coke or pepsi...

coke is far superior to pepsi

oh and it's pop, we don't live in the wild west

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pop! Yes, a man of wonderous things and amazing vocabulary!

Oh, and Coca Cola is an evil creature created by Satan and Hannibal Lector To destroy all that is good and holy in this world...

Pepsi, fool! PEPSI! GAH!

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I like how you didn't address anything I said. And the point isn't moot, because pop has 50 other definitions used more commonly than the one meaning a carbonated drink, whereas it is by fair the most commonly used definition of soda.

Soda wins again!
    Probably because you're not as important as Yams...

But for the sake of argument I thought someone might bring that up, and I'm one step ahead of you my fine fellow

So for the sake of proving you wrong like the wrong person you are:

Google:

Divided by the number of Definitions (33 - As of dictionary.com)=

Results 1 - 10 of about 39,900,000 for soda [definition].
    Divided by the number of Definitions (18 - As of dictionary.com)=

That is to say that if you consider the probability that 1 in 33 "pops" will function as a reference to the drink compared to the probability that 1 in 18 "sodas" will function as a reference to the drink that the conclusion is there is still the probability that pop will be utilized more frequently than soda in reference to the drink.

Even if

Results 1- 10 of about 39,900,000 for soda [definition].
    Divided by 1/2 the number of Definitions (therefore 9 - As of dictionary.com)=

That is to say that if you consider the probability that 1 in 33 uses of pop are in reference to the drink in comparison to 9 in 18 uses of soda will be in reference to the drink the probability remains that pop will still be utilized more frequently as a reference to the drink.

Conclusion

POP FTW

Boldly go.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

That is to say that if you consider the probability that 1 in 33 "pops" will function as a reference to the drink compared to the probability that 1 in 18 "sodas" will function as a reference to the drink that the conclusion is there is still the probability that pop will be utilized more frequently than soda in reference to the drink.
    Which is way off, as the carbonated drink definition of the word "pop" is not a main usage of the term (the sound by far is), whereas it is BY FAR the main usage of the word "soda."

Conclusion: pop is dumb.

Might I suggest we all call it Sodapop?

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Which is way off, as the carbonated drink definition of the word "pop" is not a main usage of the term (the sound by far is), whereas it is BY FAR the main usage of the word "soda."

Conclusion: pop is dumb.
    OH COME ON

Divided by the double the number of Definitions (66 - As of dictionary.com)=

Even if you consider the probability that 1 in 66 "pops" will function as a reference to the drink compared to the probability that 9 in 18 "sodas" will function as a reference to the drink the conclusion remains that there is still the probability that pop will be utilized more frequently than soda in reference to the drink.

So this statement not only satisfies your statement but it simultanesouly satisfies my own.

Statistically speaking pop still wins.

And I can't do this anymore - this pop thing is getting too serious for my liking :P

FTW
    Last edited by Chemical; 01-20-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Boldly go.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    The correct term when referring to carbonated beverages.

Often mistakenly called "Coke", which is actually a specific type of soda, and "Pop," which is just sounds like nails on a chalk board.
    Often elongated into "Soda Pop," which if you'll notice starts with "Soda," denoting its being the proper term.
    Quote Originally Posted by The UD, again
    The RIGHT word for a carbonated drink.

its not the 1940s anymore grandpa, we don't say pop anymore when we want a drink.
    Urban Dictionary is the end of this debate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Way more than even 1 in 2 references to "soda" involve the drink. How many common usages of the word "soda" can you think of not involving a carbonated drink?

Also, 3 of the 8 definitions for soda that are on dictionary.com mean the same thing (carbonated beverage), one is a card move that I've never heard of before and as far as I know is never used, and the rest are technical chemistry terms. That leaves only one layperson definition: the drink. I would hazard a guess that over 90% of usages of the word involve the drink.

Now, let's go to "pop." Dictionary.com lists 30 definitions. Let's see how many are used more commonly than "carbonated drink:" I count at least 10, though most of those involve the same basic premise (the sound).

If you say the word "soda," everyone knows what you're talking about (whether or not you agree with the term). Pop is first and foremost a sound. We might as well use "plop" as the name of a drink.

Soda wins by far. Again. Definitively.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    The correct term when referring to carbonated beverages.

Often mistakenly called "Coke", which is actually a specific type of soda, and "Pop," which is just sounds like nails on a chalk board.
    Often elongated into "Soda Pop," which if you'll notice starts with "Soda," denoting its being the proper term.
    Quote Originally Posted by The UB, again
    The RIGHT word for a carbonated drink.

its not the 1940s anymore grandpa, we don't say pop anymore when we want a drink.
    Urban Dictionary is the end of this debate.

Can we really trust a source with bad grammar like:

"which is just sounds like"

Boldly go.