Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <Gah!>Gah!</Gah!>

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Default <Gah!>Gah!</Gah!>

Ok, so earlier I asked for help on html, and got it.
    Now I'm asking if there's anything I need to work on with the site I've built as practice. I've been trying alot of differenty Javascripts and regular html.

here's the <a href="http://www.geocities.com/cimanim/index.html">link</a>

also, I dunno if this is allowed, if its not...Sorry! :c|
    Last edited by CimminyCricket; 01-31-2007 at 03:59 PM.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

I would recommend learning how to create layouts using tables.

It will enable you to create a site that is clearly divided into navigable sections. Take the EoFF front page, for example. Tables are used to create the menu on the left, and separate it from the content section in the middle.

Also, you'll want to learn CSS, since it's the way of the future, and stuff and a whole lot more powerful than HTML on its own.

FFXIV Character

I've heard of CSS but from what I scimmed through, I didn't understand half of the tutorials given.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

this is pretty dated, but it'll teach you the basics of how it works. If you get the basics, then you can start browsing the CSS specs at w3.org and learn how to do it properly. http://webmonkey.com/authoring/style...tutorial1.html It's just important to *do* the tutorials, so you understand why things work like they do. That's when you might go back to the tutorials that are Greek to you right now, and you might find you can decipher them much more easily. Sometimes people who work in webdesign or programming forget just how much people new to a language don't know.

Now, your site: we always love to use the gimicky things, but the internet doesn't run on them :] which is the main flaw with the sites I linked you xD However, you're starting out, so you have full excuse to use as many of them as you can. Just keep in mind that a bunch of them, especially little javascript snippets, are really obnoxious and liable to keep people from coming back to your site. What will keep them back is having some sort of content, so decide what kind of site you want, and then build your site to display it.

FFXIV Character

heh, I tried using css, and it smurfed things up really bad. lmto
    Anything less complicated? I'd like to not have to redo all sorts of color codes for scripts and stuff.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

CSS is not only the past and the future, it is also the present, so you'll need to get a hang of it sometime here shortly.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I found the best way to learn CSS was to look at the source of nice looking pages to find out exactly what can be used where, since CSS is a large language and tutorials can only give you the basics.

Not to mention that a surprising amount of material is <i>not</i> covered in tutorials. And as rubah said, CSS is the future, so you'll need to get the hang of it if you want to learn web design.

FFXIV Character

I've got two web designs classes coming up, hopefully they're update enough to feature CSS tutorials. If not, damn.

I know it's not to do with coding, but another really good thing (which is what I'm more knowledgable about when it comes to webstites), is to learn things like dimensions, image formats (compressions), web colours. And just all the graphical things as such, as well as using tables.

Oh, and then there's CSS.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

OMG It just deleted itself, all the work I had put into it and its gone. >< what could have happened?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Geocities limits the bandwith to something like 1Mb an hour, so are you sure that hasn't happened?

Failing that, do you have some kind of backup on your computer?

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

BACKUPS.

Also, CSS isn't all that hard once you get into it. I actually found it easier to learn than HTML, maybe because I already knew HTML or something...either way, it's a good thing to know, since it's pretty powerful 'n' all.

PHP on the other hand, I find that a little difficult.

FFXIV Character

No, there was no backup, I went over the hourly limit for updating (I'm guessing) but, bleh. I started over, the new link is up there at the first post, I used less Java-script snippets, except for the menu, and a few other things, EXCEPT on a page with a liable warning issued. Unless you want to play with that I reccomend you stay out of that page :c)

Also, two of the links don't work because I haven't finished coding those pages, those are the "chat" and "forum" pages, mostly cause I haven't decided which of those to kieep.

along the lines with the tables you may want to look into frames. frames are a more advanced version of tables. however instead of having to copy the code onto every page, like you do with tables, a frame opens up another html file inside it's table. With frames you can have parts of your site change and load without reloading other parts.
    Love to roleplay? looking for others who share your passion? Well look no further, your solution is here.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Do not use frames except out of necessity. There is no need for them.

Browsers are capable of caching parts of webpages, so your layout graphics won't need to be reloaded, unless you've been sitting there a long time. And also they're lame as freaking 2001.