Thread: The FFIII Soundtrack

Default The FFIII Soundtrack

Usually when I play an FF game from beginning to end, I find myself humming the music from the game while doing something besides playing the game.

But I've played through FF3 twice now (NES and DS), and I don't think I could hum a single tune from the game, even the battle music. I am familiar with the music from every other FF game so much, and this one just doesn't seem to have the memorable music found in other FF games. The song that plays in Doga's Grotto (and a few other caves) is pretty cool, but other than that, I haven't been especially impressed by FF3's music. Oh, and also that song that plays in cities where something strange is going on, like the song that plays in Kazus when everyone is cursed. That's a cool song too.

I honestly don't like the world map music. It starts out all cluttered, and it almost reminds me of the FF4 world map music (at the beginning), and doesn't really feel like a world map song. Except that the FF4 World Map song smooths out and the FF3 one continues to sound cluttered and sporadic. The airship songs aren't that great either, compared to other airship songs (except the WoB airship song in FF6, I thought it wasn't great).

I'm not saying I don't like the game, because I do. It's a great game. But the music just doesn't seem to stack up alongside Uematsu's other work. I guess if you have to write so dang many songs and meet deadlines and so forth, you end up skimping out on some stuff for sake of time. Heck, if Uematsu composed music for something like 10 FF games and only did a less-than-perfect job on one, I'd say he did well.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seriously? FFIII is one of my favorite soundtracks. I just adore the old 8-bit sound, and Nobuo really did a fantastic job with his compositions, given the medium he had to use. Rocking Grounds is probably my favorite battle theme in the series, as is Legend of the Eternal Wind for my favorite world map theme.

I find that most of the music is enjoyable, especially the one where you get items and the battle music. Also, The Invincible's music was pretty solid imo.

Its quite intresting this came up, since i was thinking of the music just today also...hmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it's a pretty good soundtrack.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It's a pretty decent soundtrack, though listening to Eternal Legend of the Wind reminded me of IX's OST

Banned

Am I the only one who totally adores Boundless Ocean and Elia's Theme?

What the hell?
    I always thought they were some of the most beautiful melodies in the series, along with Final Fantasy Theme.

Is there any site that lets you download the songs? So many names to songs that I can only guess what they sound like >_>.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    Am I the only one who totally adores Boundless Ocean and Elia's Theme?
    No, my good Sir! Those are among my favourite tracks from FFIII.

I adore this soundtrack. With time, it's become one of my favourites. I could hum Eternal Wind all day long and never get tired of it.

I dont know the name of it, but what is the name of the song in the final tower? (Crystal Tower I believe) Ive had that melody stuck in my head for over a day now. Luckily im grinding there ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"The Crystal Tower".

It sounds like 1,000,000 times more awesome on the Famicom synth. :/ That's probably just me...same thing for The Forbidden Land Eureka too.