Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Gilgamesh

Am i allowed to buy the greataxe or goldenaxe whatever it is, where do u buy that?

The Golden Axe I'm pretty sure can be bought off of the Unlucky Merchant in the Dalmasca Eastersands. He actually sells some really good items/equipment/spells from what I remember. I hope it's the Golden Axe he is selling...i'm pretty sure it's that, and if it isn't, it's the Golden Armulet I'm thinking of.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Quote Originally Posted by hplvr View Post
    but be wary!!!! Gilgamesh is very easy during the first fight, bvut the second one he levels up from 45 to 70! make sure you are also at level 70 at least too, i was too weak when i frist fought him, but i beat him when i was haning by a thread with no MP and no items.... be careful!
    You don't have to be level 70. I don't know what level I was but Gilgamesh wasn't too hard. I know I beat Vayne when I was 68 so I must have been in the 50's when I beat Gilgamesh.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Gold Axe = Unlucky Merchant

Check Final Fantasy Wiki, they have all stores inventory there.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisguapo69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hplvr View Post
    but be wary!!!! Gilgamesh is very easy during the first fight, bvut the second one he levels up from 45 to 70! make sure you are also at level 70 at least too, i was too weak when i frist fought him, but i beat him when i was haning by a thread with no MP and no items.... be careful!
    You don't have to be level 70. I don't know what level I was but Gilgamesh wasn't too hard. I know I beat Vayne when I was 68 so I must have been in the 50's when I beat Gilgamesh.
    but did you have a hard time with Gilgamesh at that level,
    i forget too, i prolly was at level 4o something, and i had a heck of a hard time with him

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Come join the FF8 Hangman! Made Possible by.... me!

The biggest problem I had with this fight was that I had Reddas, and at Level 60, he was susceptible to pretty much all the Lv. status effects Gilgamesh threw at me. As long as you've got Black Belts and Alarm clocks, you should be fine if your levels are halfway decent.

The second confrontation with Gilgamesh is a lot tougher than the first one. The combination of Gilgamesh's attacks and that of his dog Enkidu's can be quite lethal.

Some tips to help win the battle more easily are:

1) Do Dispel/Dispelga on Gilgamesh and his dog first to get rid of their buffs.

2) Then put his dog to sleep and blind it. Also cast oil on it. The Nihopalaoa + Remedy method should get these done conveniently.
    Then spam Firaga on it. Magic doesn't wake up foes/characters like melee attacks do. Because the dog is in Oil status, he will take much more damage from the Firaga spells.

Some recommended gambits for the battle are the following. You should set these up before the fight:

Set one of your characters gambits to:
    Foe: Status = Sleep>Firaga
    Foe: Party Leader's Target>Attack
    This is to defeat the dog first.

Then set your other two characters gambits to:
    Foe: Highest Max HP>Attack.
    They will only attack Gilgamesh.

Having Bubble/Bubble Belts are necessary as Gilgamesh tends to hit hard. Use Decoy on your main tank/damage dealer, so that he takes most of the hits. Have Curaja Gambits set to keep HP at 50% or above. For optimal speed in bringing KO'ed guys up, have one use Arise and 2 others use Phoenix Downs. Have Esuna/Esunaga gambits ready for his Lvl X. status attacks. It's also recommended to swap the proper gear on-demand to provide immunity for a given status condition before it snags one or all of your guys. When he puts up any palings, turn attack gambits off during that period and then turn them back on when it expires.

Steal during 4th and 5th phases in order to obtain the Genji gear.

Hope this helps anyone who's struggling with him.

Or do it the cheap way.
    support skills (protect, bubble, regen and what else you find useful) + Reverse and decoy. This will make Gilg hit the decoyed character, thus healing him cause of Reverse. Just recast whenever they run out. Make the other two characters attack Gilg. This is a cheap way, I know. lol