Thread: Everest

Blog Entries

Default Everest

Has anyone seen this show? It's on the Discovery channel. It's freaking awsome! It covers the time it tacks for 2 groups to climb the mountain. People die, get sick and crazyness everywhere! And it's all real. One guy tried to climb without the help of oxygen tanks.

I haven't seen it, but I read Into Thin Air, which I believe discusses a different expedition that was on the mountain at the same time as the crew for Everest. A morbidly fascinating read.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The guys from Discovery Channel actually rescued the guys from "into thin air". There's an IMAX movie that tells the story.

Gripping book.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Reality TV can go too far.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji Longaway View Post
    This happened way before "Survivor".

Mid 90's I think

Blog Entries

I wouldn't really call this reality tv like survivor or anything, It's more liek showing you what a real climb of Everest is. A man in one of the teams has double prostetic (spl?) legs and he made it to the peak. While one make made it to the peak and in doing so had climb the highest mountain on every continent. Another tried to climb with no oxygen. Another man was on his second time trying it. So yes I mean you got to know the people but that's because it was about them and it was a series. But they were all real climbers and climbing the mountain. It was a really awsome show. And very sad at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TrowaBartonIV ^_^ View Post
    I wouldn't really call this reality tv like survivor or anything, It's more liek showing you what a real climb of Everest is. A man in one of the teams has double prostetic (spl?) legs and he made it to the peak. While one make made it to the peak and in doing so had climb the highest mountain on every continent. Another tried to climb with no oxygen. Another man was on his second time trying it. So yes I mean you got to know the people but that's because it was about them and it was a series. But they were all real climbers and climbing the mountain. It was a really awsome show. And very sad at times.
    Unless they reherse what they are goint to do before the show, it is reality T.V., because it is real. Anything real is reality T.V.

And Renmiri? It doesn't matter WHEN it came out. Think about how many reality T.V. shows existed before Survivor. THE REAL WORLD for instance.

Blog Entries

well this si a new show but I mean, it's not like survivor and trying to be asome stupid game show, it's giving a view of what it takes to climb that mountain, I never imagined it was trhat hard and I learned a lot of things after watching the series.

Quote Originally Posted by TrowaBartonIV ^_^ View Post
    well this si a new show but I mean, it's not like survivor and trying to be asome stupid game show, it's giving a view of what it takes to climb that mountain, I never imagined it was trhat hard and I learned a lot of things after watching the series.
    I would like to see a man with a prostetic leg climb a mountain. I tried it once. Scared the hell out of me. So I climbed right back down. And that was only after reaching 30 feet of altitude.

Unless they reherse what they are goint to do before the show, it is reality T.V., because it is real. Anything real is reality T.V.

And Renmiri? It doesn't matter WHEN it came out. Think about how many reality T.V. shows existed before Survivor. THE REAL WORLD for instance.
    Meh. It's sort of silly to get into semantics here. It's like calling a football game "reality TV". While anything that's unscripted could be considered reality TV I suppose, the genre "Reality TV" is usually considered not to include sports or documentaries IMO. I'd bet "Everest" falls into the documentary category, to show what goes into an expedition to climb the world's tallest mountain. Hundreds of people, of many kinds, climb it every year without any tv cameras rolling at all. The particular expedition that is the primary focus of "Everest" happened to have cameras with it to document an ascent.

And the disaster would have happened, to what extent nobody can say for sure, even had the cameras not been there filming. There were several expeditions that otherwise would have had nothing to do with the Discovery show except for the fact that they happened to be on the mountain at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post

Meh. It's sort of silly to get into semantics here. It's like calling a football game "reality TV". While anything that's unscripted could be considered reality TV I suppose, the genre "Reality TV" is usually considered not to include sports or documentaries IMO. I'd bet "Everest" falls into the documentary category, to show what goes into an expedition to climb the world's tallest mountain. Hundreds of people, of many kinds, climb it every year without any tv cameras rolling at all. The particular expedition that is the primary focus of "Everest" happened to have cameras with it to document an ascent.

And the disaster would have happened, to what extent nobody can say for sure, even had the cameras not been there filming. There were several expeditions that otherwise would have had nothing to do with the Discovery show except for the fact that they happened to be on the mountain at the same time.
    Documentary sounds good. Lets go with that.
    But if you think about it...shows like "The Biggest Loser", "The Mole"and "Survivor" were all like a game show in the way that everyone was a contestant competing for a prize. So it really matters how you define game show then.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Actually the people filming the documentary were not part of the disaster. The two expeditions that got in trouble had no cameras. They were commercial "danger safari" types where experienced climbers take a bunch of adventurous rich guys to the top of Everest. Because they were competing for clients both leaders went up when the weather was changing, against their better judgement. A late snowstorm stranded the 2 groups on the top of the mountain and iirc 5 died, including both greedy expedition leaders.

The Discovery team had refused to go up with the bad weather and saved many lives at the time, by helping the survivors of the two ill fated groups, sharing all they had: food, tents, oxygen, medicines, radio, etc... with them.

The IMAX movie shows that the 3 guys of the Discovery expedition had to brave gale force winds to get one of the sickest survivors in a place where a helicopter could reach him and take him to a hospital. Coming down ice crevasses with a barely conscious person (the guy) was no picnic and saved that man's life. But risked 4 other lives: The 3 climbers who carried him on their backs and the helicopter pilot who flew a lot higher than anyone thought possible, including the helicopter manufacturer.

There's a book and a movie made about the 2 expeditions, as mentioned above, the name of the book and the movie is "Into Thin Air". I recommend it. And the IMAX movie made about the Discovery climb is great too!

Blog Entries

I also saw a show on K2 last night. That is one crazy mountain!