Thread: Recommendations for music please

Default Recommendations for music please

Specifically, I'd like to find more music that sounds like this. Does anyone have any ideas?

(Alternatively, discuss the band at the end of that link. They're called Tape Five.)

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Don't know any but if you find more do share, they're great
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

There's plenty of great Nu Jazz out there, but I'd suggest starting with Squarepusher and Gilles Peterson.

I have a CD from Matmos called The Rose has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast... It's not jazzy, but it sort of shares a techno-but-notreally-erratic thing going on. David Holmes's soundtracks for the Ocean's Eleven remake and Ocean's Twelve are pretty similar in flair. Um...John Powell's song Assassin Tango (I think it's actually called Tango De Los Asesinos) for the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Well, not really, that one isn't really the same. I'm trying, but I'm sucking at this I'm not very in-the-know when it comes to music, so meh. I don't know if those are close to what you want or not ;o

As for Tape Five, I like them. I listened to most of the songs you gave me today, and they were all lovely . Jess-smilie worthy.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Makes me think a lot of some of Amon Tobin's stuff, especially off of his Permutation album. He's freaking fantastic, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Aum View Post
    Squarepusher

*listens to the Ultravisor album*

What the hell was that? No.

I'll give Amon Tobin a try yet, because we have the same last name. :P

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

yeah there's no way someone new to pusher would enjoy ultravisitor on first listen

try listening to big loada or feed me weird things first
    there's jazzier stuff on some of those tracks

oh as far as suggestions go

http://somafm.com/

listen to Secret Agent Radio for a while and you're bound to get similar stuff

I think Portishead is acid jazz, I've only heard a few tracks and they sounded pretty cool.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    I think Portishead is acid jazz, I've only heard a few tracks and they sounded pretty cool.
    Portishead is a very good band, I also recommend them.

Portishead are good, wouldn't call them acid jazz though. Not heard the link (at work ) but if its acid jazz you are after, check out Gong and the rest of the Canterbury scene
    'All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.' - Nietzsche

Maybe also try Massive Attack. I tend to like a few of their tracks, but not all.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I'm starting to wonder if I posted the wrong link. :P I tried Amon Tobin and Squarepusher and I didn't like either of them. Good thing I don't pay for music.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's likely that instead of looking for somewhat similar artists, you're just wanting more songs by that band. Happens to me all the time with artists that have unique sounds.

I didn't find either of those two to be at all similar, though. If you like the Barenaked Ladies, you'll probably like They Might Be Giants. I don't think it works like that between Tape Five and Amon Tobin. : P

Anyway, I guess I'll just try straight-up jazz. That would be closer, I think.