Thread: Driver's Ed

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Driver's Ed

I start Driver's Ed this week, I believe, if I got into the program! Which I think I did, because I was really fast and submitted the forms as soon as they were in the office! I'm really excited, even though I won't be learning much besides parking and a few other tips, since I've been driving for about six months already. It's crazy to think about how much progress I made, from being scared to drive in small two way streets, to driving on the highway in general comfort (except when those crazies start to cut you off switch and lanes like it's going out of style, they scare me!!! >:[ )

Anyway, tell me about your experiences in Driver's Ed when you took it, so I know what kind of stuff to expect. :] In my school, we don't get to pick the people who drive in our car with us, so I'm nervous I'll end up with some freaky-deeks.

I took Driver's Education in high school, but that was just a class to learn the rules of the road and such, there was no driving involved. It helped me pass the written test, but was generally a waste. I can't really say much about the actual driving instruction, although since you said you have already been driving for 6 months (!) I would say that you probably don't need it. Couldn't hurt, though. Maybe you'll have fun and learn a thing or two.

Blog Entries

I took drivers ed with the second hardest drivers ed teacher in the country. Seriously. He helped write the friggen drivers ed book. We had to have a 100% perfect notebook to pass. No matter how good a driver you were you HAD to have a perfect note this means, everything he said EVERY day of class, a 100 on every homework, a 70% or better on every test and so much other crap. I had one of those big binders and it was packed full. He is insane.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't know how Driver's Ed is other places, but in Norway we have an obligatory theoretical course (since 2005) before we're allowed to drive. It was horrible. They compared traffic to ants and soccer, 'cause they apparantly have their own little system of moving around and interacting. Yes, awful. It was pre-school all over again. We didn't really do much, she just talked about various problems etc, and then we ended the course with first aid. I'm a terrible driver, btw. Watch out, pedestrians.

I paid a dude to let me drive his corvette and then I almost crashed it into a bus.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    I took Driver's Education in high school, but that was just a class to learn the rules of the road and such, there was no driving involved. It helped me pass the written test, but was generally a waste. I can't really say much about the actual driving instruction, although since you said you have already been driving for 6 months (!) I would say that you probably don't need it. Couldn't hurt, though. Maybe you'll have fun and learn a thing or two.
    In Driver's Ed here, we have to go twice a week. Once to lectures, which is the rules of the road, and once to the driving course. I put them both to be back to back on saturday mornings, so I'll never sleep in late on Saturdays again for a while. :[

But we actually have to do the written test and get our permits before Driver's Ed, so it's crazy how it's different from California! For the written test here, we just pick up the rules of the road book, which you hardly need to read, because the test is really easy, but I read it anyway. I only got two wrong. :]

The lady who was my driving instructor decided to do some errands while trying to teach me to drive at the same time. We ended up going to her house so she could pick up her mail. Then we went to the bank because she needed to make some deposits or something. After that, it was the library so she can return her books. It was ridiculous, but at least I learned how to drive. But deep down inside, I just felt so....used.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My goal is to drive a bulldozer and run NANNY MANUS over with it.

I'm doing Driver's Ed. online. Uh, tomorrow I'll be 15 and a half, so I'll be able to get my permit right after the class and stuff. Gah, I must make sure I have my license by late-mid-August when school starts again.

Diver's Ed isn't offered at my high school anymore. ;__;

good evening, miss Tifa's Real Lover(really's Avatar

i took drivers ed on tuesdays and thursdays after school for 2 hours for about 2 months, they were very boring. i think itll save my life someday though, least the discount you get after graduation was worth it.

I would probably go play video games or have sex (the usual) - Nominus Experse

my mom would be like "ve? yo te dije, el internet no es bueno."

"seriously, my mom tells me "que tu hase en eso el dia entero?" and im like "mami yo toy hablando con people" xD. spanglish, ftw." ~ liz

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ha, I get my permit wensday. I've been taking Driver's Ed for about 2 weeks now. Pretty easy.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

There's no such thing as driver's ed in New Zealand. How you learn to drive is up to you, as long as you don't drive by yourself.

I learnt to drive in a 1975 column shift Mitsubishi Mighty Max on the orchid I was working at at the time. That experience served no purpose to driving real cars properly.

i took a class for one semester as one of the school requirements. basically, i had to learn about the rules and practice on simulators like once or twice a week. for the "field exam" i paid for a two-week course, separately. for the most part it was easy except that i had parking and left turns to work on.
    Last edited by Yuffie514; 01-29-2007 at 05:42 AM.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never took driver's ed or driver's training. I got my permit when I was seventeen and a half and then my license when I turned eighteen. I never saw the big deal in trying to get your license before then. I had friends who could drive so if I needed to go anywhere I would just ask them. Driving quickly becomes a chore.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Driver's Ed was mostly boring. We pretty much just sat around and went over the driver's handbook thing, then watched driver videos such as "Red Asphault 3" (now with even worse acting than Red Asphault 2!). All in all though, it was ok. The driver's training sessions were a lot more fun and I learned much more by actually driving the car and listening to the instructor.