Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate on Paladin Cecil so much?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Paladin Cecil doesn't have !Dark Wave instead he gets the not as good !White. Maybe if he learned all of them but nope. In the end Cecil's !White is completely useless compared to Rosa's !White.

Dark Knight Cecil is useless against undead. Paladin Cecil, very useful against undead, and provides another minor healer for a good portion of the game. The Dark Knight to Paladin change in Cecil is very symbolic to the whole "good vs. evil" thing and key in the belief that everyone has a little bit of good in their heart, no matter the evil deeds they have done. A success story about doing the right thing, despite having to sacrifice a lot of things.

Cecil's White magic is not as good because Paladins, any in fantasy setting you are taking part in, are a mix between a melee fighter and a white mage. They do not excel in either area above any of those specific classes, they are more a happy marriage between the two. If you are going to compare Cecil's white magic to Rosa's, be fair enough to compare Rosa's melee abilities to Cecil's, and her abilities to stay alive when placed in the forefront of battle.

I like Cecil because he became what he felt he was supposed to be since the beginning.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I can't really compare Rosa's melee skills cause I made her an archer instead of using Whips and Rods and I found her damage with a bow on par with Cecil a lot longer. She can hold her own in battle with a bow then Cecil can with a !White.

I remember when I first played I was disappointed to lose my instant-kill sword. But the fact that he wasn't useless against undead anymore made up for it in the long run.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I like Paladin Cecil. It's nice having a backup healer, and it fits well into the story.

And if you don't like pretty boys, what the heck are you doing playing an FF?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Evil and darkness is always more appealing than good. That and the fact that Cecil in his Dark Knight form is a damn useful throughout the beginning of the game. In fact, until you went to Mt. Ordeals, he was pretty much your best character. Not that his usefullness decreased when he became a Paladin, (though he lost the ability to use the Death Sword which instant kills most creatures...)

I have no real issue and love both forms equally.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    Dark Knight Cecil is useless against undead. Paladin Cecil, very useful against undead, and provides another minor healer for a good portion of the game. The Dark Knight to Paladin change in Cecil is very symbolic to the whole "good vs. evil" thing and key in the belief that everyone has a little bit of good in their heart, no matter the evil deeds they have done. A success story about doing the right thing, despite having to sacrifice a lot of things.

Cecil's White magic is not as good because Paladins, any in fantasy setting you are taking part in, are a mix between a melee fighter and a white mage. They do not excel in either area above any of those specific classes, they are more a happy marriage between the two. If you are going to compare Cecil's white magic to Rosa's, be fair enough to compare Rosa's melee abilities to Cecil's, and her abilities to stay alive when placed in the forefront of battle.

I like Cecil because he became what he felt he was supposed to be since the beginning.
    Seriously.

LOL, of course you made Rosa an archer. She can't use whips. Only Rydia can. And rods and staves make crap physical damage.

I like Paladin Cecil's character much better, but I don't think his abilities are useful. It basically just comes down to him attacking every round.

His White is useful mid-game...while everyone still has lower HP counts. You can use him to conserve Rosa's MP.

His Cover is a double-edged sword to me. Sometimes it is a lifesaver, such as when he covers Rosa who is about to die. Sometimes it is a curse, such as when you want to let someone die off but Cecil keeps covering him/her so you have to kill them off yourself.

Dark Knight Cecil's Dark attack was useful for getting through those battles with mutliple enemies who were pathetically weak and annoying.

paladin cecil was awesome. can use white magic automaticcaly takes hte bullet for the other team mate.

paladin cecil > dark knight cecil
    lynx
    beaten final fantasy III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,mystic quest, tacitcs, tactics advanced, crystal chronicles.

you only live once but if you do it right once is enough

my FF amvs

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Pesonally, I think that dark knights OWN!!!! Heck, I even have "dark sword" in my user name! Too bad he doesn't get any good equipment later on.

Btw, in the late game you could just use black magic for groups of weak enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi View Post
    In the GBA remake he looks like an old lady.
    In the GBA version everyone looked like an old lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
    Are only looks important to you, Zeromus? What about the fact that his personality is as masculine as ever?
    Hey... I don't believe someone can have a masculine personality if he likes using his girlfriend clothes...
    If u see his sprite, u really can't imagine a masculine personality there...

That's why when i said masculine i was talking about his personality...

And no... i hate looks... i don't care about stupid things on real life...
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

From the first time i saw paladin cecil, i hated him, because i thought he looked kinda of gay, because of the big change in dark to light. But i soon grew to like him, but i can also understand why people dont like his appearance change
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Wow. Here I thought people thinking that Squall and Cloud being the same character was as bad as it got. Apparently now Cecil and Cecil are two different characters.

Guess I was wrong.