Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Son of Submariner" line has been changed in FF VI Advance T_T

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Valigarmanda (or Varigalmanda, as I got it as...) is Tritoch's original name, so I wouldn't call it an uneccessary name change.

Four more days. <3

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I worry for my beloved clown but everything else sounds pretty good. I'm still debating about picking it up though... who am I kidding...

I'm pumped. Bring on the relocalization.

Banned

Why the hell did they change "son of a submariner!"?
    Seriously, I can't find ANY reason WHATSOEVER!

Is it a classic? - Yes!
    Is it considered "strong language"? - No!
    Does the line use up every byte on the cartridge? - No!
    Is it hilarious? - Yes!
    Is it sacred? - Yes!

Oh well, it's still a great game.

They left in "spoony bard" when they relocalized FF IV. >_>

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

No worries. When I get my copy of FFVI Advance I'll have a marker handy and when I get to that scene I'll write "Son of a Submariner!" on my screen and all will be right with the world.
    Figaro Castle

I told my dad if he ever saw me crying with my GBA, it's because they ruined my game... AND THEY'RE DOING IT, and I just teared up. I cry over few things, but I -will- cry if they kill my FFVI. I can't wait till next week.. it'll be the saddest week ever..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Yes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Valigarmanda (or Varigalmanda, as I got it as...) is Tritoch's original name, so I wouldn't call it an uneccessary name change.

Four more days. <3
    No, I'm not talking about localizatin, I mean just the japanese versions of the various versions of the game.As in, is the japanese script in FFVI advance the same as the original super famicom version of the game?

And while more accurate translations are good, they confuse people who are used top the first translation. While Butz-> Bartz isn't a major change, Tritoch-> Varigalmanda is a very confusing name, and people who don't play the GBA version might not have a clue what you're talking about.

Trying to say "Valigarmanda" as fast as you can over and over is an amusing task. >.>

And yes, the classic line being changed is a tragedy, but alas I'll try to survive. XP

I too will be picking up this title on the day of release, so I'll be looking for all the little alterations. I wonder if I can preserve the SNES feeling with Gameboy Player for GCN? Only time will tell.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by vorpal blade
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_XYes, the Japanese script changed quite a bit in being localized into English (for the SNES and PS1 versions, whose scripts are almost identical). The GBA version is also recieving a new localization.

Valigarmanda (or [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNeTmQ0rg0"
    Varigalmanda[/URL], as I got it as...) is Tritoch's original name, so I wouldn't call it an uneccessary name change.

Four more days. <3
    No, I'm not talking about localizatin, I mean just the japanese versions of the various versions of the game.As in, is the japanese script in FFVI advance the same as the original super famicom version of the game?

And while more accurate translations are good, they confuse people who are used top the first translation. While Butz-> Bartz isn't a major change, Tritoch-> Varigalmanda is a very confusing name, and people who don't play the GBA version might not have a clue what you're talking about.
    Oh! I see what you mean. Well, to my knowledge, they are indeed the same.

Well, yeah, but this is the point of a relocalization. I don't see why giving things their original names is that big of a deal, it should be expected with a new localization that new names are going to come, and we've known this for quite awhile now. But, given the amount of people flipping out because one line is apparently being changed, I'm not too surprised.

Anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    I'm pumped. Bring on the relocalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunadis View Post
    I wonder if I can preserve the SNES feeling with Gameboy Player for GCN? Only time will tell.
    Trust me, it will. It has preserved that feeling to me when I play IV, V, the Mario Advances, and Tales of Phantasia

*hugs the GB player*

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post

Pink Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    No worries. When I get my copy of FFVI Advance I'll have a marker handy and when I get to that scene I'll write "Son of a Submariner!" on my screen and all will be right with the world.
    Lol... maybe i'll do the same xD
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Although it is indeed saddening how "Son of a Submariner!" was changed, as long as "You spoony bard!" is left in FF4 I shall not sue the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    Although it is indeed saddening how "Son of a Submariner!" was changed, as long as "You spoony bard!" is left in FF4 I shall not sue the company.
    Yeah but like "You spoony bard!" was like FFIV's catch phrase, in my opinion "Son of a Submariner!" was FFVI's. Why would you change one and not the other. ; ;.

Me and my dad (well I was ranting) about how things from our past are being changed to appease the new age and I ended up ranting about this. He told me to Protest Squeenix. xD Sometimes my dad is so right.
    *sigh*