Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Son of Submariner" line has been changed in FF VI Advance T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuinashi
    Oh and for Avarice..

" Uwaaau~! Uwaaau~!"
    And I'll still say Uwaooo~ till the day I die!

I do like the tentacle thing though, that kind of off sets two bad translations.

Tongue

Quote Originally Posted by Flaei View Post
    I have a partial transcript up here if you want to read it. I'm not writing out the entire game, though.
    Oh... thanks... i'll read it...!

I laugh a lot with that dialogue of the shiny thing xD...
    What a great character is Gau!... (SPOILER)I like at the end of the game, when he throws Celes down on Kefka Tower to show his shortcut exit xD
    Have they changed something of the scenes of the end???
    I would like to see that...

Ah!... and i forgot!... about the "Sond of a Sandworm" line... now i feel better... at least, that makes sense with the game... cause of the fact of the by-sand traveller castle of Edgar...

By the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by vorpal blade View Post
    I agree completely. Today's people suck, so why should we change for them?
    I agree completely... =/

!
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I'm somewhat annoyed with the change. They left "You spoony bard!" , and "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" but not "son of a submariner?" Tsk, tsk.

That said, the tentacle line was great.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, I'm still pissed off they changed my favorite line in FFVI during it's transition from SNES to PS1.

The scene where Locke is on the boat throwing up and spots Shadow. In the SNES version he says "Not a word of this to anyone O shrouded one..."

In the PS1 version I believe he says "Don't you dare tell anyone shrouded one"

Did anyone esle notice this?

Personally, I believe the heavy and heartfelt reactions over character's lines not being the same are a bit extreme.

When you you take it for what it is though, this script is by large and far well superior to Woolsey's and not japanophiled as most Fan-Translations ; it just sounds right, like what it should have been all along.

It also seems to improve the story and character personalisation. Where Woolsey put random Comic-Relief lines and where fan-translations put dead-serious word for word translations, this script seems to adapt to the character who's speaking and from what I've experienced so far, add more depht of character in dialogues that were originally pretty monotonous.
    Last edited by Fuuinashi; 02-07-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuinashi View Post
    Personally, I believe the heavy and heartfelt reactions over character's lines not being the same are a bit extreme.
    How would you like it if they changed Darth Vader's line to "Like, I'm your dad." It doesn't have the same inmpact and it pisses off those who were looking forward to that line. "Heavy and heartfelt reactions" may be a bit much, but dissapointment is definately in order.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuinashi

When you you take it for what it is though, this script is by large and far well superior to Woolsey's and not japanophiled as most Fan-Translations ; it just sounds right, like what it should have been all along.

It also seems to improve the story and character personalisation. Where Woolsey put random Comic-Relief lines and where fan-translations put dead-serious word for word translations, this script seems to adapt to the character who's speaking and from what I've experienced so far, add more depht of character in dialogues that were originally pretty monotonous.
    Seriously. A new localization had been announced well before the game was released, why should it even be shocking that a few lines here or there are changed? Shouldn't you be happy that they kept a majority of the lines of Woolsey's script, along with many of his names in the game? I shouldn't be surprised though, considering that so many people had to go crazy over one word of one line being changed. Nothing is sacred, and neither is Woolsey's script. It was great, but it can and is being improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyNyara View Post
    "I, Garland, will knock you all down!"
    In the GBA version of FF1, Garland says, "I, Garland, shall cut you all down to size!" What a ripoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.

Ugh. Messing with Garland's line is just as bad, if not worse, than if they were to mess with Tellah's.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure I remember Garland still saying 'I will knock you all down!"

Even still, you still understand what he's trying to say, so it's not the biggest deal in the world. >_>

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    In the GBA version of FF1, Garland says, "I, Garland, shall cut you all down to size!" What a ripoff.
    He says the "knock you all down line" in Dawn of Souls. Though not Origins, which kinda sucked.

All your sons of a submariner are belong to us.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself since I'm such a spoony bard)

That pissed me off when I saw they changed it to "sandworm", but Kefka now telling the soldiers to "Kill them!" when they try to escape Figaro almost made up for it....
    ...goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes, fun, fun, fun, in the sun, sun, sun...

Blog Entries

It's genius
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
    He says the "knock you all down line" in Dawn of Souls. Though not Origins, which kinda sucked.
    I have DoS... maybe I should check again. Or maybe my version (I use a GBA emulator) was a faulty translation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quin is wrong and LALA is right.