Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Son of Submariner" line has been changed in FF VI Advance T_T

Default "Son of Submariner" line has been changed in FF VI Advance T_T

But one would expect this since there is a new localization, but regardless, I'm still excited for this release. Read this review

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6g...gbastrev1.html

Square Enix finishes porting the trilogy of Final Fantasy games, originally for the Super Nintendo, to the handheld with the release of Final Fantasy VI Advance. Final Fantasy VI was originally released in North America as Final Fantasy III in 1994. Many of today's gamers' first experience with the Final Fantasy series began with Final Fantasy VII three years later. These releases give gamers a chance to see what the series was like before the jump to three dimensions.

The main plot holds nothing back: the empire destroys towns, breaks apart families, wastes lives, and even disrupts the natural balance of the world in their quest for ultimate power. The small group of heroes leads the fight against this oppression, against all odds of success. Almost all these heroes have a story to tell, and through the twists and turns of the main plot, that story is shared.

While the initial reaction might be that a deep story can't be told in a sprite-based game, the characters exhibit many different emotions with various stances. Some of the most used emotions are shock, laughter, sadness, and thoughtfulness. The use of these sprite variations were key in telling a story back when having videos in a video game was still just a dream.

The graphics of the game do show their signs of age. Final Fantasy VI lacks the ability to show depth on the overworld map, so navigation with a chocobo or an airship looks pixilated and very flat indeed. Because of this, especially with the airship, navigating the world takes some patience as some places are difficult to spot until the player is right on top of them. Since the airship can't fly in reverse, Square Enix allows a non-flight based navigation by pressing the L and R buttons simultaneously. While it is quite helpful for landing, it's hardly a graceful approach. Ah! I wish I had the Mini spell.

Where the graphics excel is in battle. With special techniques, spells, and just fighting in general, the animations for everything are splendid. While it's not heart-stopping action, it's possibly the highest quality sprite battles found anywhere.

If only the battles weren't so slow. Even at the fastest setting, it seems the action gauge chugs along. The use of the spell "Haste" results in perhaps a 10% increase in speed. There is almost no difference in the configuration setting of level 3 speed to level 1 speed. When fighting hard bosses, the gauge just does not move fast enough.

New additions to the Game Boy Advance version of Final Fantasy VI actually add very little to the game itself. There are four new espers, three new spells from these espers, and a bonus dungeon. Like the previous Advance releases of the Final Fantasy games, none of the bonus content fits into the game before the player can finish the story normally, and once obtainable, the party is a high enough level that they can destroy any story-based adversary in the game. The new espers are given a small bit of story about how they managed to escape just before the heroes reached the facility they were being held in. Considering how powerful they are in battle, it's at least plausible. Each new esper has been spotted by a different NPC and talking to that NPC reveals the hint on how to locate the esper. It's not much, but it is enough that thorough searching will prevail. Finding the esper is only half the battle--don't even think about taking it on with a normal party. They are clearly only there for the sake of the extra challenge, as shown by their difficulty and the lack of new spells taught. Of course, when there's already the devastating Ultima spell, learnable in two different ways, how many more spells are really needed? No longer doom, there's Deathgaze

The localization has been redone as promised. Each character feels closer to their true nature, more straightforward with how they feel, and there is definitely less confusion regarding the mysterious Siegfried. Some of the changes may be unwelcome because they change familiar names into peculiar names. These changes include retranslations of the esper Tritoch (now Valigarmanda), the esper Palidor (now Queztalli, not even Quetzalcoatl) and the relic Moogle Charm (now Molulu's Charm). Kefka's classic submariner line has also changed. Ultros, however, does not follow its Final Fantasy XII counterpart's name change and remains the same.

Also included are the expected Music Player and Bestiary. Nobuo Uematsu was still fresh and innovative with his creation of the music of Final Fantasy VI. The music player, which allows players to listen to any song in the game once they have completed the storyline, is once again a great addition. While the music is limited by the technology, it's still worth remembering. The Bestiary shows what items can be stolen or may drop from the monster, as well as how many of each monster has been slain, and the monsters' vital statistics. Unfortunately it does not include whether or not the monster can be used to learn Rage or Lore abilities, which would've been a useful feature.

Final Fantasy VI Advance offers today's players another chance to experience what could be the best story in the Final Fantasy series. Square Enix labeled the series as "Finest Fantasy for Advance" in Japan, hoping to entice new and old gamers to enjoy this classic title. While the additions probably aren't enough to make it worth replaying the game if you're just in search of new abilities, the game itself shines. If you haven't played Final Fantasy VI before, or tried to play through the PlayStation port in Final Fantasy Anthology, this game is definitely worth the purchase. For gamers who've already enjoyed Final Fantasy VI, the main reason to purchase would be for nostalgia. For most of us, that's enough of a reason.
    Last edited by Crossblades; 02-01-2007 at 04:17 AM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

....How can they not get Orthros right if they did it in Dawn of Souls and FFXII? wtf? O_O

Regardless, I'm very excited. Five more days.

Edit: Molulu's Charm. <3

awww, too bad they changed the submariner line. Some things are too classic to mess with. I'll admit I actually cheered out loud when I played FFIV advance and saw they left "you spoony bard" in there.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Why would they change such an amazing line? I hope they didn't change any more of his campy dialogue.

As long as they have replaced it with something equally definitive of his character, I'm indifferent.

I am deeply, deeply hurt by this news. (I have no life.)
    My pet thing, Janice.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

They didn't say what it was changed to. Shame on them.
    Figaro Castle

Wonderful.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

:(.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

:O_O: :weep:
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Does anyone know what they have changed the line to?
    When life gives you a cactus, hug it. When life gives you lemons, throw them back at life and say, "Lemons? Who ever heard of hugging lemons? give me a cactus!

Renial.tripod.com/: A budding Legend of Mana site

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I don't think any of us have illegally acquired a ROM yet, so no.

I've been working on it though.

I hate unnecessary changes, especially to names (Valigarmanda? wtf?) and classic lines. But the game comes out here in the states this month, so wait a couple of weeks.

Just curious: did the japanese script change between the SNES, PS and GBA versions or did it remain the same?