Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is FFVI considered the best? (SPOILER WARNING)

Why is FFVI considered the best? (SPOILER WARNING)

I recently replayed FFVI and Im gonna have to go against the tide and say its one of the worse FFs out of the first 9 (never played X and above)

First FFVI IS A JOKE when it comes to difficulty.. I kept waiting for the moment something would actually challenge me, WITHOUT EVER stopping to level.. And Im not that good of a player or anything, its just that character damage in this game is WAY TOO HIGH...
    At the start you have Edgar's Auto crossbow which paired with atlas armlet obliterates anything... a little later you get flash.. not to mention on how overpowered Gau is when you have all the useful rages..
    Then you get Spells lvl 2 (fire, ice, bolt) etc.. I remember when I reached Atma at the floating continent... I thought "hey a WEAPON, this should be tough" what a joke! morphed terra + bolt 2 = 5 K damage every turn at lvl 20...who needs vanish + doom tricks when the game is so easy anyway?

Second, the game as way too many playable characters, and you could say "the more the better because there will always be someone who pleases you" but I hate it, its just messy.. you never have time to explore a character deeply, because as soon as youre getting attached to that character, 2 more come in and your loved one gets removed out of the party.. ugh..

Third, whats with every character having equal stats and being able to share most equipment? So many characters and nothing to make them special.. except for...

Fourth, SKILLS... did anyone notice you can and probably WILL go through the whole game without using the "fight" command once? Except for the very beginning with Terra of course.. Since every character has magic and magic is much more powerful until very late in the game (and ultima still owns then)... WHY are skills free? Edgar, Cyan and Sabin will NEVER use the fight command, because they can just spam whatever skill you want to without mp charge or anything.. its broken

Fifth, the plot, to FF standards, sucks! Sure, its better than the plot from FF 1 :rolleyes2 but other than that... its 100% predictable and ... whats up with the part at thamasa when Kefka suddenly comes in and starts killing espers left and right? So he suddenly went from a random dude to some invincible killing machine? Lame

For those too lazy to read, cliffs

1 - Too easy
    2 and 3 - Too many (useless and pointless) characters
    4 - Broken skills
    5 - Mediocre plot and worse excuse for a villain ever

And where are the monster HP super bosses? Right, there arent any

About the only thing I liked from this game was the romance between Locke and Celes, and thats because both are cool

I think you were looking for this forum.

It should be noted that while Final Fantasy VI is an incredibly easy game by any standards, the Final Fantasy series as a whole is a joke when it comes to difficulty. I have never had a problem with any of them. Then again, when it comes to RPGs, I am something of a God.

Also I found this tidbit to be hilarious:

Fifth, the plot, to FF standards, sucks! Sure, its better than the plot from FF 1 :rolleyes2 but other than that... its 100% predictable and ... whats up with the part at thamasa when Kefka suddenly comes in and starts killing espers left and right? So he suddenly went from a random dude to some invincible killing machine? Lame
    If you didn't see Kefka becoming the main villian, then it was not 100% predictable, now was it? Silly poster.

I could go on and on, countering every single point you made and telling you how incredibly wrong you are. But really, it won't help. Just like Final Fantasy VII, you will either like it or hate it. There is no middle ground. This is a war waged since the beginning of time. It will continue after I am dead.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

The only acceptable argument about FFVI sucking is edczxcvbnm's. Sorry, go sit in the car.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think it's something about unprecedented quality in the series, deeper characters, better writing...

Seriously, did you really play the other games? The amount of depth in both the characters in the plot far exceeds what's in FFIV and V, let alone the older games. Because I don't see how you can play a game with a villain like X-Death and then think Kefka is poorly done.

FF7.
    Cool characters.
    Great in-depth story.
    Great character history and development.
    Many characters.
    Very touching story.
    To easy.
    The graphics and controls are terrible...look like building blocks.

FF6:
    Nice story.
    Tina/lock are the only characters to have a back history.
    FF3 HIGHLY censored (Good thing I know Japanese)
    Top easy....Ruby weapon was a decent challenge.
    Fantastic villain with a history and a screwed up mind...(Kefker was just a clown to me)
    Loved the stage show....Japanese was a bit more...past tense like.
    Shadow and Relm....history very well done...for its time.
    Nice smooth graphics and perfect for its time.
    ............................................................................................
    FF7 and FF6 are both the same to me, both have there up and downs but still, both great to play.

Anyway, this is my opinion and you may see it different but please remember nothing you say or I say will make any difference in the way we think.
    Those who feel the wrath of my blade can not be resurrected

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Sephiroth
    Tina/lock is the only characters to have a back history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Sephiroth
    Fantastic villain with a history and a screwed up mind...(Kefker was just a clown to me)
    Shadow and Relm....history very well done...for its time.
    How does this work?

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

LOL FFVII

Also, Kefka was an amazing villian. Sephiroth just hung out in a crystal and talked about his mommy.

That came off the top of my head... I never double check what I post.

So expect mistakes like that from me.

Oh and thanks for taking the time to read such a long post and ACTUALLY NOTICE AN ERROR LIKE THAT!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Alright, I'll bite...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostwake View Post
    First FFVI IS A JOKE when it comes to difficulty.. I kept waiting for the moment something would actually challenge me, WITHOUT EVER stopping to level.. And Im not that good of a player or anything, its just that character damage in this game is WAY TOO HIGH...
    At the start you have Edgar's Auto crossbow which paired with atlas armlet obliterates anything... a little later you get flash.. not to mention on how overpowered Gau is when you have all the useful rages..
    Then you get Spells lvl 2 (fire, ice, bolt) etc.. I remember when I reached Atma at the floating continent... I thought "hey a WEAPON, this should be tough" what a joke! morphed terra + bolt 2 = 5 K damage every turn at lvl 20...who needs vanish + doom tricks when the game is so easy anyway?
    I like the fact that you can focus on the story and exploration aspect without having to micro-manage your characters to ensure that you will survive the next battle. With so many games out there where you have to level grind to survive to the next area, this game was/is a breath of fresh air.

Second, the game as way too many playable characters, and you could say "the more the better because there will always be someone who pleases you" but I hate it, its just messy.. you never have time to explore a character deeply, because as soon as youre getting attached to that character, 2 more come in and your loved one gets removed out of the party.. ugh..
    I like the fact that this game doesn't spoon-feed you everything about a character, ala FFVII and FFVIII. I enjoy that I can use my imagination to fill in any holes in each character's back story and personality. It makes them more personable and it gives them more of an emotional attachment, rather than games like FFVII and FFVIII where everything is laid out in black-and-white and numbs you with too much detail.

Third, whats with every character having equal stats and being able to share most equipment? So many characters and nothing to make them special.. except for...
    Why is this bad? Half of the games in the FF series have very little differentiation in character stats. And not all characters can share equipment. There is a lot of unique equipment or equipment that is only usable by two or three characters. Anyways, I don't see how this makes for a bad game.

Fourth, SKILLS... did anyone notice you can and probably WILL go through the whole game without using the "fight" command once? Except for the very beginning with Terra of course.. Since every character has magic and magic is much more powerful until very late in the game (and ultima still owns then)... WHY are skills free? Edgar, Cyan and Sabin will NEVER use the fight command, because they can just spam whatever skill you want to without mp charge or anything.. its broken
    So you didn't use "Fight", so why is that bad? Just because you never use the Fight command doesn't make it a bad game. I rarely use the Item command in battle in 99% of FF's, yet I don't hold that against the games. FFVI's battle system is set up a little differently that others, and it's refreshing, not lame.

FFVI's plot excels for two major reasons:
    - NO PLOTHOLES. Unlike later FF's, there is no confusion at to what is going on. Yes, it might be somewhat simplistic, but that doesn't make for a bad game. I'd rather play a game with a simplistic plot over a convoluted one with several plotholes anytime.
    - It's an opera. I don't remember who pointed it out at this forum recently, but FFVI is styled after an opera. Obviously the opera scene makes sense, but when you look at the game from the standpoint of being a broadway production or an opera, it becomes that much more enjoyable.

And to summarize, it appears that you either weren't paying attention when you played through the game or were looking for reasons to hate the game because all of your reasons to hate FFVI can be applied to any of the games in the FF series, including 9, which makes them generalizations of the FF series in general, and not FFVI specifically.
    Figaro Castle

Final Fantasy 9 was in my eyes and mine alone. TO KIDDY AND BABYISH.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Sephiroth View Post
    That came off the top of my head... I never double check what I post.

So expect mistakes like that from me.

Oh and thanks for taking the time to read such a long post and ACTUALLY NOTICE AN ERROR LIKE THAT!
    Didn't your teacher ever tell you to double check your work? Boooooooy howdy. Sabin, Edgar, Locke, Celes, Setzer, Shadow, Relm, Strago, Terra, Cyan, General Leo, and Kefka all have backstories to their characters. They may not be MASSIVELY in-depth, but they are in-depth enough that they shouldn't really bother any person at all ever. Hey look. The cast has all been named (with the exception of Mog, Umaro and Gogo). Gogo has an unknown past which I loved.

Flying Mullet said it better, and in less words, than what I was going to say.

What a shallow post the urs!

Difficulty is important in a game... and yeah... really important... but it's not the only thing u have to wait of a game...
    And FF6 is so easy!... u are ok on that!... is very very easy... but that doesn't mean it can't be good or maybe the best!

• FF6 has (in my opinnion, and the opinnion of lots of people) the best Storyline ever! in a FF, and maybe in a RPG... Just compared sometimes to games like Chrono Trigger (wich i'm sure there are people who has played it here)...
    • FF6, also has an almost-non-linear storyline, in the SNES and other plataforms at that time there were just few games with the non-linear storyline, i can remember Chrono Trigger and Tales of Phantasia, for example... and for an FF, it was something new... u can see all the FFs before FF6, and u'll note that all they were in one line that u had to follow... u really had to follow it, not much things to do appart of the whole line from beggining to end!
    • About graphics... FF6 has the better graphics for an FF at the time... it's one of the better graphics of all the RPGs at the time (maybe just beaten by the Secret of the Rudras (wich was released only in japan) and Chrono Trigger...)... Besides!... Between not just FFs or RPGs, but all the SNES games, ff6 is one of the best graphics ever at the time it was released!...
    • The art by Yosh1taka Amano is surely great on every FF, but here u can appreciate some great designs like the final battle one, the Goddess, Poltergeist and Doom one, and others... Surely, on of the best yosh1taka arts for an FF.
    • If anyone who plays RPGs can say he/she have felt identified with a character of any of all the games he have played, u can know that the biggest probability is that he/she will say the name of one of the characters of FF6!... that's a fact... u can take a day to navigate in forums around all the whole net to see that is a fact...
    • Kefka, is considered the most charismatic villain/final-boss in a FF, and by lot of people, the most charismatic final boss ever!
    • Lines like "Uweeee he he he!" and "Son of a Submariner!" are recorded like legendary quotes in the mind of almost everyone who have played the games, and lots of them have included them on their daily speech...
    • So, the whole characters design is a great work beating lots of works on movies and cartoons. A great place for a game in the 90's, when games was starting to be something more than pixelated mechanics movements...
    • The sound of FF6 is considered the best or one of the best sounds of a SNES game, and is between the best of all the story of the games. One recognized masterpiece is the Opera of Marķa and Draco, recognized in the clasic music environment like it wasn't game music, besides lots of more music of the game too...
    • At the time... (in that epoch!) FF6 was a great object of innovation in the industry of videogames, it was guiding Final Fantasy to a highest level of gaming... lots of new thing u could do in the games! ...like for example having all the characters you were getting during the game at ur disposition there in the airship... no more changin characters just because the story said so, and no more loosing the other character by changing him... now u could choose the one u like it most and play with him when u wanted to, and changing him whenever u wanted to! ...another example: This is the first FF with movement combinations for a character, yeah i'm talking about Sabin blitzs... this is surely a great novelty! ...i can't remember well this part, but if i'm not wrong, it was the first RPG with this characteristic... isn't i t??? ...and with all the relics and equipment that u could get, u really could create lots of different personalities to ur characters of the party, maybe better than the jobs system!...
    • About the programming script, u can see that is better than the older FFs ones, the battle system and the status calculation is also made better, and u can see a considerable little weight for a file of a so great graphics and so long game. Then u can imagine the optimization of the algorithms in general. If u can't see that looking at the game, u can download specialized algorithms files of FF6 from the internet, and compare them with the older games.

I could be talking about this for a lot of time... there are lots of great reasons to say Final Fanatasy 6 is the best or one of the best games ever!... maybe, u just could stop playing automathicaly or mechanicaly and start to see and appreciate games like the ART pieces that they really are.
    FF6 is one of the biggest marterpieces on his genre (the Games Art genre)... A masterpiece in sound/music, in graphic art, in character and story design, in programming, and in development.

!!

PS: Of course that i say FF6 is so great how i said, that doesn't mean that i'm underestimating the other games, all games are great... and... we are so away of the time when games were just a computer program (70's and part of the 80's they were just some piece of programing code), now they are really art.

-------

Edit: "Why do you build knowing destruction is inevitable...???
    Why do you yearn live knowing all things must die???"

This game is philosophicaly a piece of art too!... just look at the Atma speech, and the Kefka words at the beggining of the final battle...
    Some concepts of this game really reminds me of Kafka (of course!)... and reminds me about Nietzsche too...
    Last edited by Zeromus; 02-05-2007 at 11:01 PM.
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Banned

Your argument is very weak. Every game has flaws, and the flaws that you pointed out, (the ones that are actually correct based on facts) there aren't enough or the aren't major enough to actually make a big difference in how great the game is.

For example, you're right, it is a little too easy, but it doesn't make it that bad. And yes, there were a lot of characters, but they all did have points in the game and back stories to them, excluding Umaro.

The only thing I really see in your argument that would make a huge difference on the greatness of the game would be storyline and plot. Predictability is something unavoidable; in almost every story, there will be at least one part that you could probably predict, most likely not 100% like you said. And by the way, Kefka was totally not a "random dude." You saw him in many parts of the story even before he became the main villain. Unless you have some other definition for "random dude." After all, everyone who joins your party are all "random dudes" as well. You pretty much said almost nothing about the story except it being predictable in some parts.

Honestly, go back and replay FFVI again, and come up with a better argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Mullet View Post
    - It's an opera. I don't remember who pointed it out at this forum recently, but FFVI is styled after an opera. Obviously the opera scene makes sense, but when you look at the game from the standpoint of being a broadway production or an opera, it becomes that much more enjoyable.
    http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost....11&postcount=6

;)

I actually never thought about it like that while playing the game. It makes me appreciate the game even more, because that is very different from the other RPGs I have played.

I recently replayed FFVI and Im gonna have to go against the tide and say its one of the worse FFs out of the first 9
    You do that. I'll just sit here and think about all the revolutionary aspects of FFVI.