Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anna Nicole Smith has just died

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aralith View Post
    Ah yes, but who cared about her enough to make her a celebrity?
    Those involved in her creation as "another Monroe", driving her image to become the next sex symbol of America. The various photo shoots, her appearances in select venues and such. There are numerous things that lead to her rise as a celebrity.

No one becomes a celebrity simply because they name themselves as such; rather - and it ought to be smurfing obvious - they are named a celebrity by various people that do in fact care. They grab hold of this person's look, their views, all their assets and flaws, and make them into something more than ordinary - they make them famous. They make them a celebrity.

There are most likely hundreds upon thousands of celebrities that I in fact know nothing about, nor have even heard of or seen. But the fact of the matter is that the media thinks that they are worth enough to create a story, a buzz, about.

A small group of people begin crafting a celebrity, and then the masses follow due suit and make this person a true sensation. Whether or not you are or ever will be one of these people is null - you are one to thousands upon millions.

Probably not most of the people here who are saying that they only care because it's another human being or because she's leaving an infant behind with no one to care for it. There are quite a few people who could care less whether it was Anna or someone that they didn't know, because it would be about the same.
    Being a celebrity causes various circumstances to be made drastically different then those out of the spotlight.

It's sad that a human died, but it's not more sad because she's a celebrity.
    The thing is, that's not what the media or anyone is trying to portray. You are right in saying that though a celebrity, a death is a death, and a simple title does not imply that this person's death is somehow more tragic than any other person's.

Rather, the focus ought to be on the fact that her death is receiving more attention than that of the ordinary individual, someone who perhaps gave more to society as a whole than Anna Nicole Smith, who really only gave us an image and a media buzz over her legal battles. But complaining about this is stupid.

It's stupid because they are a smurfING celebrity. They could take a piss and receive more attention about that then you ever could if you were to ace the SAT. The thing is, you aren't in control of this - the media is. The media and masses of people that can be entertained by an image and other "sensational" bits and things. They are going to receive more attention for their acts, and their death is going to draw mass amounts of attention - as expected.

There is no reason to complain about such things.

Doing so only showcases your inability to understand the situation.

I certainly know that I don't care if she's a celebrity. I never supported or cared for her.
    Again, it hardly matters. Thousands do. You are a whisper in the storm.

Hell I still don't know what she looks like.
    You do. You may never have connected her name with her face, but you have seen her.

I've never really cared to figure out who she is and why she gets so much media attention. So, I'm with everyone else. It's sad that a human being died. It's sad that she's leaving behind an infant. It is in no way, nor should it be, any more sad just because of her social status.
    It isn't more sad, and I don't see how you naively connected this. No one mentions this - anywhere. They say that it is sad, of course, but I have yet to read anywhere that her death is made more sorrowful simply because she was a celebrity.

All I have read are the tired, redundant complaints of people describing how a celebrity receives more attention than that of normal people.

Think on that. The answer ought to be obvious. She's a celebrity, She is going to receive more attention - plain and simple.

Yeah, the media doesn't make much sense, but you have to smurfing deal with it.

Additionally, think of how her family and friends may feel about such a thing - all this attention. At moments like this, would you not rather have it be private and personal? So hearing people complain about the fact that celebrities receive more attention for anything- including deaths - is rather inane.

I want my death to be quiet and celebrated only by a select few.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't say I'm interested much, but I do agree with what Miriel said here. It's a bigger deal because she was a celebrity. Accept that and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by *ETERNAL FANTASY* View Post
    media whore or not she was still a person who had alot to deal with up until her death...i do wonder if any of you can endure what she had to go through in this past couple of months

love her or hate her shes still human...she was miserable, i feel really bad for her baby
    Yes, I could. Oh, and I have. Look at that.
    Sorry to hear about your dead child.

Saying that people portray celebrity deaths as more important really isn't accurate. It doesn't matter more, it just matters to more people. More people know they exist, so more people are moved by it, to whatever degree. The media feeds on those demographics. Although there probably are 12 year olds who really do think it's more important, that's really not the majority. People's tastes are off, you could vilify them for that, but not for caring that someone they liked died, even if they just liked their work and/or image. I would be equally as sad if one of my favourite professors or researchers died, as I would if say, Patrick Stewart died. Not for her though, never cared for her. She made some shows or whatever and lots of people liked it. Even if her material is crap, she's not a terrible person for simply being in the media. She was no different than all the other whores walking around, she just had cameras on her. To attack the grief surrounding her death is to push her into a special category, which is what you're complaining about in the first place.

Well, death is death. People can whinge about "celebrity" deaths all they want, but the end of the day, even a celebrity death is just something that people'll read and forget. The select few who really give a damn always will, and so the media's attention is kinda redundant anyways. Considering all the ill will in this thread, a media-propelled celebrity death seems worse than just passing away quietly xD

Hell, guys, if the newspapers and everything covered every single death in the world, we'd be plagued by an evil harbinger media of REALLY DEPRESSING PROPORTIONS. Geez. That's why they have obituaries anyways. >.<

Uhm RIP, I guess. Didn't know her, didn't care to, but now she be dead and that be sad in all circumstances.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    And now she is dead. That's really all it is.
    But she was made famous for all those things. I'm not discounting her death, or even that she was widely known. I'm mainly critiquing the way the media creates, feeds off of and then profits off a product such as herself. All she was in the eyes of the majority of the population was the things she was made out to be, and to a large degree she had control over how that played out.

She died, OK. I don't need to hear a ten minute segment on her life after hearing about how another dozen American soldiers died in Iraq. It's sorely out of context and it should be kept to mediums of entertainment who employ sensationalist journalists who feed off that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    She died, OK. I don't need to hear a ten minute segment on her life after hearing about how another dozen American soldiers died in Iraq. It's sorely out of context and it should be kept to mediums of entertainment who employ sensationalist journalists who feed off that crap.
    Running the media is a business, and those segments sell. I blame people for buying into it. What determines what is 'news' other than things people care about? It would be great if people would rather hear about things that really mattered, but sadly in general that is not the case.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Somehow her grief for her dead son made her less "bimbo" and whorish in my eyes, more human. Enough to care a teeny little bit about her death. A sad and tragic story to be sure.

I think celebrities misfortunes remind us all that no matter how high you get on life you are still bound by the same human nature we all are.

EDIT: I do care more about the dead in Iraq, but the soldiers and their families hate it that I care, they don't even believe it is sincere, because I am anti war and didn't vote for the SOB who sent them there without body armor. So I'm forced to avert my eyes and pretend I don't see the dead of the war, and grieve for over glamourized bimbos...
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Aeris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaneko
    Running the media is a business, and those segments sell. I blame people for buying into it. What determines what is 'news' other than things people care about? It would be great if people would rather hear about things that really mattered, but sadly in general that is not the case.
    Yep. No matter what one might like to believe, a good number of people thrive on the idea of celebrities, they're in love with the concept of these glamorous, somewhat otherworldy people. To many people, things like this are far, far more important than the actual news. There simply isn't enough news for the media to even exist as a private entity unreliant upon (and thus capable of being critical of) the government, so it must make use of these pseudo-events and celebrities. It's how the media continues to exist so that when something important happens, people are able to be informed.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nominus Experse View Post
    Hell I still don't know what she looks like.
    You do. You may never have connected her name with her face, but you have seen her.
    Actually, I haven't. I did go to the article and took a look at a few pictures of her to see if I could place her. No go. Not surprising though, I am so far removed from pop culture that I make the most distant of stars look close to us by comparison.

Anyways I do recall hearing the name somewhere before..... probably one of my freinds/family mentioned her in passing.

Edit- And of course it makes sense that a public figure would get more publicity for anything they do(inculding dying).

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

I found her death sad. Not because I admire what she did with her life, but the fact she seemed so messed up and troubled. I wish she had gotten the help she needed. I doubt there was anybody in her life that really supported or loved her. But, I am just speculating.

People in school were talking about this in school yesterday but I couldn't really join in the conversation. The main reason being that I don't actually know alot about her and what she did and before I was told I didn't even know who she was!

Sad though. As most deaths are.

Moero! Moero!!

I feel more sorry for her son who died like half a year before.

Why isn't the Anna Nicole Show a contribution within the last five years? That show made me laugh. I'll miss her because she brought joy to people, like me.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I can't masturbate to nude pics of her anymore now, I'd feel bad.
    I was just about to post "Would be creepy for me to break out that issue of playboy now and..."