Thread: You're Writing

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default You're Writing

How is your writing?

My writing is rather good, I think. Mine was good enough to get a five on the AP Lang exam (although maybe I just got all the multiple choice right xD hahahahahha lol no). I think I can write kinda good, I just don't ever do it. I put a <a href="http://www.snowy-day.net/index.php?page=writing">writing page</a> on my website and it's pretty bare.

How is your writing? Do you have exquisite style? What about your diction; do you churn out those $5 words like a something something something? Are you a master of the extended metaphor, personifying lions and tigers and bears, or do you prefer the quiet synedoche irrevokably paired with the raging metonymy?

Have you sailed the high seas of details, reining in wild end rhymes and half rhymes and untamable blank verse, keeping your sentence structure fluctuating so that your emphasis falls in the precise points that you would have it directed to? Do you change verb tenses effectively, yet to the dismay of anyone grading your papers? Do you utelize the passive voice to their disgust?

What about your topics? Are they applicable to the subject or do they matter? Is their importance in the real world negligible or are you certain of their sure application? Do you draw in from multiple sources, quoting and citing appropriately?

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Do you double space after every sentence.

Blog Entries

I can write anything in any style. I like magical realism best, even though it's pretty much the hardest thing to write well. I have 3 published stories, and I teach the craft, so I better be pretty good.

(SPOILER)edit: I write prose, by the way, not poetry. I don't understand poetry. By any style, I mean to say any genre or any... type. I write articles, stories, blogs, press releases and whatever else. I don't use a lot of big words if I can help it, but I do try to find the best word to use in every case. I like silly stuff, but I don't know how to write silly. My best work comes out serious and surreal, and I don't know why. I wish I could write comedy, but I just ain't good enough. Now I'm focusing on screenwriting, since that's where the money's supposed to be.
    Last edited by Martyr; 02-09-2007 at 12:47 PM.

I dunno, I think I might be smarter than the average Bear when it comes to writing. But I'm no picnic basket.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I write stories for my characters on an online RPG I play, the game lends itself to that well as the entire game is free rp and text based so that people have to read descriptions for the chars and stuff. I've got one character that has become a hot favourite of mine and a lot of the other players, she's a female Dark Elf who is just pure and simple a psychotic lesbian bitch (pardon the term but it's the only one adequate) She's always got a smart mouth on her. Apparently I play her so well and so in character that some players are surprised to find that in real life I am not one of the few female players on that game but a guy. The characters story is a long one that's covered a lot of time and most of the points I intend to make in it are clearly made. I'd say I am a fair or good author compared to some of the ones we have on here but in comparrison to the ones who play that game I am definitely one of the best ones in the community.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am a reasonably accomplished writer - I can add a certain flourish to things when I'm in the right mood that you won't see anywhere else. On the other hand I'm still pretty green at writing narratives. I have to keep practising to get the hang of symbolism, plot/character arcs/development, and probably most important of all becoming more subtle in various techniques. The fewer ways a reader sees that I've manipulated them and their emotions, the happier I shall be.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

Metaphor, symbolism, description, and a certain degree of flourish are what I think to be my forte - though, as with most things concerning one's assets and the like, that is not for me to say, but rather my peers.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I write as I speak: Intelligently that is.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Writing is my entire life and has been since I was 13-years-old. I live it, breathe it, eat it and sleep it. I (make the government ) pay thousands of dollars a year for training to do it better. Even in my personal life, my hobbies and my pet projects, I gravitate towards writing.

I don't know how good I am. I'm still in a stage of learning in which my writing doesn't do as I say. If I have an assignment, I sit down at a computer or blank sheet of paper, and it rolls right out of me. I've just recently learned to edit my writing, to revisit it and alter it. It's very hard to do, not because I think it's perfect when it comes out, but because sometimes it's alien to me. Currently, I would say my ability is strong but unstructured. I need to find that structure.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

The way i write doesn't go along with my speech & grammer. But Irish people tend to talk without pronouncing much word's & use a 'saying' to talk about something rather than tell it how it is, so it's kind of standard imo.

Str8 Pimpin'

I write stories, poems, songs and well, I update my diary like every day.
    I write in english better than Arabic which makes my parents laugh for English in my second language not first. xD
    I have written a long fantasy story (or you can call it a novel, don't know!). It took me like a whole year to finish and it goes in 500 page. Of course, in english.
    I also wrote a second part of it which took like a year and half and went in 623 page. I write poems like everday or every time I feel that I can write something.
    Writting is my life and I love my pens and papers!.
    I <3 you Polaris
    ~Antratica forum~ You know you want to join =p

Dancing Chocobo

I'm not too motivated to write but apparantly I'm good or at least all my teachers praise me when it comes to writting assignments. And I got an A+ on a short story I wrote for my English teacher with the exceptions of a few students who also got an A or on the other end a D the majority got a C-. But then again she said a lot of people didn't get a good grade becuase they couldn't copy the style of Robert cormier (I hope I spelled his name right) so I think I got a good grade becuase I created a paranoid character and I added subjunctive mood and a bunch of similes to make it be perfect.

Online I don't really care about showing any proof that I know what grammar means.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I like to think I'm a very accomplished writer, though I'm probably just "pretty good" at this stage. While chatting, posting on forums, etc. I generally try to be more straightforward and conversational, so I leave out the complex diction and flourish and the most part. It can just sound pompous when you're in a casual setting.

I never learned all the grammatical terms for sentence structure and phrasing, which is bad. But I naturally form sentences correctly, so it's not very often that I have to worry about comma splices or other grievous errors. Also, I always double space after a sentence. It bothers me when people don't.

I love writing, it helps get rid of problems but its rubbish!

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like to think I can write well. That says very little as to whether or not I actually am any good at it.

Well I'm in the top English group, and my English teacher always says I can write well. So I guess I'm pretty good!