Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of Body

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Out of Body

I'm not talking about how in cartoons the ghost or spirit pops up out of the body when people pass out or die!

This is more subtle and probably just all my imagination, but it's pretty interesting and I was wondering if anyone ever really experienced anything similar.

Just now, when visiting a site, (naimoka.com if you were wondering) I just had the most intense sensation of the entire internet as a corporeal thing, free of any context of computer or monitor; just an expanse the color of BGCOLOR stretching forever in all directions, and then a thought of someone before me, not formed of bouncing electrons and waves of light, but just of stuff.

Like someone's thoughts stretching back forever and into the future are right there, and you're in it.

I dunno, I can't explain it anymore xD

There's been other times I've been detached in the same way; one excruciating morning at a friend's sleepover with too little sleep and I was the only one awake waaaaaaaay too early in the morning, I kept telling myself that I wasn't there, and it worked in a strange mental way.

Stu confided to me that he's had the reverse sensation about computing; an intense realization of the box sitting on your desk reality, and all this stuff is insubstantial. he can tell you about that if he likes. I don't think I've ever felt that way, and I am so glad, because it is a very terrible reality to have to face.

When I was younger (little? is 12 little?) on IRC I had a neat image of the channels. The entire server was a tall skyscraper, and each room/group of rooms had their own floors and unique layout. #GHC was a big broad open room with tiled floors and large windows looking down. #toc was more like a nightclub, with stairs leading down and a bar and very darkly decorated compared to the bright almost sterile look of #GHC.

The image of channels as actual rooms has faded a lot over time, and I couldn't tell you how #eoff looks one bit, but the memory of the walls and floors and decor behind the lines of text remains.

That's not so much an out of body feeling of detachment, so I guess it's off from the foremost topic, but it came to mind, so whatever xD.

So, had a sense of not-being where you were in your place? Sometimes it happens in a nigh-orgasmic state. Kinda like what Charlie went through in Flowers for Algernon I guess.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I don't drop acid enough to experience anything like that.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Dancing Chocobo Wes is lying. He is the acid BARON!

I often feel detached from my body, like I don't belong in it or something. I'll look down at my arms, move them and think "Wow...I'm in control of this being. I can move it." Then I go on to think something like "This is real. It isn't some movie or story, this is actually a life, and it's mine. I am actually this guy." And then everything I do for the next couple of minutes or so feels really unnatural and forced. Then I snap out of it and everything is cool again.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sometimes I forget how to breathe.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All I can think of is this comic.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I often feel detached from my body, like I don't belong in it or something. I'll look down at my arms, move them and think "Wow...I'm in control of this being. I can move it." Then I go on to think something like "This is real. It isn't some movie or story, this is actually a life, and it's mine. I am actually this guy." And then everything I do for the next couple of minutes or so feels really unnatural and forced. Then I snap out of it and everything is cool again.
    That exact thing happens to me a lot. Just realizing that I'm Jessica and this is my life. It's crazy. Didn't we discuss that once? xD

Blog Entries

Default Duuuuuuuuuuuuude

It must be a glitch in the Matrix.

there was a picture here

Yeah, sometimes. Both mentally and physically. It's kind of the way I feel after staring at a word too long; it loses meaning for me and then I go nuts inside. Mentally -- it's difficult to describe. Like a derailed train, or some kid running round in circles and crying by the road. It's weirdly opposite to what Psy said; like no way, this isn't me, I'm not anything like this person or body I'm stuck in.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

sometimes your subconscious can do things like that.

have you ever done the trick where if you lean your hand hard against a wall for around 30 seconds and then stop. your arm extends without you willing it to do so. its because of your subconscious. it guess thats where most displacement feelings come from.

or sometimes i just feel pretty high on life and feel all light as if nothing matters anymore.

your mind can play tricks on you when your tired.

there are loads of things that can give you a wierd feeling but i dont recall any out of body feelings happening to me. they probably have but i probably dont know for certain what your talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Rubah's new profile pic:

or perhaps

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tend to sit there and just realise how tiny and insignificant I actually am in comparission to the universe out there, I just sit there in this trance like status doing something stupid like staring directly at the setting sun (winter setting suns don't hurt so much but summer ones are prettier) and I don't realise what is going on around my body, I'm just like totally "wow I'm so small and so insignificant and yet people like me affect so much everyday"

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Psychotic summed it up for me very well.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Neuromancer came to mind!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

One time I woke up dead.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Resha View Post
    Yeah, sometimes. Both mentally and physically. It's kind of the way I feel after staring at a word too long; it loses meaning for me and then I go nuts inside. Mentally -- it's difficult to describe. Like a derailed train, or some kid running round in circles and crying by the road. It's weirdly opposite to what Psy said; like no way, this isn't me, I'm not anything like this person or body I'm stuck in.
    I totally did that once before...it was "the". I just kept staring at it, contemplating its actual meaning...and then I just went crazy, seriously. I fidgeted.

As for feeling like I'm out of body, yeah, it's happened...It's the strangest thing to me >.>