Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: This game is awful

Yes, because a slow story, slow pacing, slow leveling up and a terrible battle system makes a "not half-bad game"

Quote Originally Posted by KingdomHeartsKing View Post
    Yes, because a slow story, slow pacing, slow leveling up and a terrible battle system makes a "not half-bad game"
    I've bolded the areas where I think you're talking alot of human waste. The story might be slow but slow leveling? You just have to find the right area.

Ps, the battle system = Better than every other battle system in previous ff games, it MAKES me want to find battles and its enjoyable for once. Death to the screen going into black and coming up with a row of characters not moving at all except for attacks and such.

Maybe you liked it but I absolutely hated the battle system

The leveling in this game is awful, the worst ever, as well as if you throw in the stupidity of the high monster level curb....
    The summons was so weak they was literally pointless, the music was boring and naff its epic elevator music. story slow, bad pacing and reheated scraps. Theres no character development, Im starting to think Square is afraid now to have the main character to involved in a plot. Im not even sure why Vaan Fran and Penalo and even there.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

You lot need to learn to appreciate a challenge more often, there's always going to be a stronger monster in an area full of monsters. They won't always be low-level and be of the same kind, it varies. That's what makes the game so interesting and different from previous FF'S-the fact that the fiends in a certain area are not so predictable, but leave you wondering if your capable of taking them out. I find that realistic and a good factor to the game.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Not when they all skyrocket and you have to spend a entire day monotomusly leveling up for a boss every single area every single boss, Thats not a challange, thats boring, badly planned, and not even made for the average gamer.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Hah. Whatever you say. It's a better battle then some of the ones we've had in the past.

KHK - lol at you.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

intresting insight?

i totally agree with ya. BRING BACK THE RANDOM BATTLES!! i was gutted with ff XII, as a true ff fan i exspected it to be pack jamed with good storylines but the only good thing about it is Balthier and the nice cg. Hopefully square might take a look at this and think to them selfs that a good rpg isnt just preety new graphics but a kewl story as well

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    You lot need to learn to appreciate a challenge more often, there's always going to be a stronger monster in an area full of monsters. They won't always be low-level and be of the same kind, it varies. That's what makes the game so interesting and different from previous FF'S-the fact that the fiends in a certain area are not so predictable, but leave you wondering if your capable of taking them out. I find that realistic and a good factor to the game.
    QFT

I disliked the pacing, the music, the theme and the way the story is told (no romance! :rolleyes2 ) but the battle system is awesome fun!!! Leveling up doesn't even need button smashing anymore, gambits do it for you

Yeah there are some insanely hard monsters but not one of the "hards" is mandatory to complete the game. The mandatory bosses are pushovers! I compare Yiazmat and the like to getting the Sun Sigil in FFX. Impossibly hard but not mandatory, only done by the masochist fanatics that enjoy this sort of stuff

As for random battles, just turn target lines off and you will get pretty surprised by some attacks, I guarantee you. I was, all the time

PS: Paul, putting down another game won't improve XII's pacing, lack of story and cheesy dialog
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

yeah the combat system is good but i miss random battles* garnie starts bring back the random battles group with t- shirts and things*
    also the romance in a ff game is soarly missed by my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    I thought Larsa and Penelo were more of an item than Vaan ad Penelo.

Meh... After Wolf Kano and others with similar arguments spent 4 months explaining the story for me, I realized that FFXII story arch is OK but pretty beatean up already by George Lucas, Leonardo de Caprio (playing what Alexandre Dumas wrote), and many other authors... including Shakespeare, who not surprisingly did a much better job of telling it.

Which doesn't change the fact that the story teling, i.e. dialogues and pacing, is dismal. This has been debated to death, I don't want to repeat it but I think that after 3 continents played the game and gamers in all 3 continents noticed the same thing it is pretty undeniable that something is off with the story telling.

Who cares ? FFXII is a good game in spite of it, at least to me. I'm just relieved it wasn't just me being picky, immature, or missing animated Cinderela 99!
    The story arguably "borrows" from Star Wars and the history of the Roman empire etc., but it's unfair to compare it to Shakespeare, Lucas, etc. on the grounds that it does an "evil empire with political intrigue" story, while exempting the other FF storylines from similar comparisons on the grounds that they're marginally more original. Every one of them fails miserably when compared to literary classics. I've found that so far (I'm up to Giruvegan) FF12's plot is easily superior to the plot of every other FF in the main series with the exception of FF7 and FF10. The pacing is not uniformly bad IMO, just uneven. I agree that (SPOILER) the trip to Archades drags, but I haven't had major problems other than that. I don't think the dialog sucks, though I agree that there's not enough of it. So let's not try to pass off opinions as "facts".

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Omega Mk XXV View Post
    The story arguably "borrows" from Star Wars and the history of the Roman empire etc., but it's unfair to compare it to Shakespeare, Lucas, etc. on the grounds that it does an "evil empire with political intrigue" story, while exempting the other FF storylines from similar comparisons on the grounds that they're marginally more original. Every one of them fails miserably when compared to literary classics. I've found that so far (I'm up to Giruvegan) FF12's plot is easily superior to the plot of every other FF in the main series with the exception of FF7 and FF10. The pacing is not uniformly bad IMO, just uneven. I agree that (SPOILER) the trip to Archades drags, but I haven't had major problems other than that. I don't think the dialog sucks, though I agree that there's not enough of it. So let's not try to pass off opinions as "facts".
    My point is that a sizable portion of FF fans in Japan, US and Europe have noticed problems with the story. That is a fact.

When people in 3 continents, all with different backgrounds, different expectations, different levels of FF knowledge and different tastes all find a thing in common to say about a game, I listen. Even if I didn't agree, I'd listen

PS: The pacing is not uniformly bad IMO, just uneven I'd say the same about the entire FFXII game. Which makes me mad at it because parts of it are the greatest ever so the lame parts make XII loose it's spot on the "greatest games of all time" list

Quote Originally Posted by Wuggly Blight View Post
    Not when they all skyrocket and you have to spend a entire day monotomusly leveling up for a boss every single area every single boss, Thats not a challange, thats boring, badly planned, and not even made for the average gamer.
    Then don't level up all day. Plan your purchases carefully, do a few mark hunts for extra gil and equipment, manage your licenses with thought, and experiment with different strategies. I've done this for 55 hours without major problems except for a few exceptionally annoying fights. Even then I didn't level for hours.

The idea, common in most JRPGs, that any challenge should be surmountable by levelling and/or money hoarding for a little while, is just inane. It seems to me that many complaints about FF12 come from the fact that it's not possible to get through the game by buying all of the strongest equipment at generic towns + a small amount of levelling.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

This is also a fact - many magazines have rated this one of the best FF's ever, hence it's 40/40 review from god knows where. Also many people thoroughly enjoy the story.

Garnie, do you seriously think that FF alone has survived on these little iddy love scenarios? Granted, some FF's have got that love feeling to it, but you act as if it's been so many years since an FF game has had a love theme to it - the last official one to come out a console, was X-2, and that had a love theme to it!

FF has more to it then love themes, and after a while, it gets quite tiresome. Same with random battles - why make a brand new FF game if it isn't going to offer anything battle/gameplay wise?

FFXII was successful in proving that eliminating random battles would prove popular amongst most people. Imagine if it had been the same old - I doubt it would get good ratings as the other games. Same as if the story had been a generic one.

Imagine if XII had no significant changes. For all those awaiting XIII, and the changes would happen then, what would the reception be like?

We can't just stick with same old stuff, all the time - IMO, random battles should have been eliminated when we got to X. However, I am happy XII did that.

=D
    ALSO, other "true FF fans" have found this story exceptional.

like moi ere.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

How could I forget you and WK, Setzer / Berganfan ?

Aye, FFXII pushed the envelop and did many changes to the preconceived notions we had of FF games. Some worked very well, some others will be debated for eons!

Peace! It is a very fun game and has great stuff on it, just story, IMHO, isn't one of them.