Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: This game is awful

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Adults read books. Like the Roman Empire history or Alexandre Dumas or Hamlet or... Even watch Leonardo Di Caprio in the Man on the Iron Mask...

The political intrigue told in XII has been told many other times, a lot better and even happened in reality once or twice.

The previous FFs had an original inovative story. This one just reheated some old and tired leftovers
    You, know it think it's funny that you have to insult FFXII's plot by comparing it to classic literature (a videogame with a story close to Shakespeares' works? That's almost a compliment Well except the Leonardo Di Caprio part:rolleyes2

As for your bottom quote, the last FF to have an original story within the main series was FFVIII (as bizarre as it's plot is...) and before that, it was FFV. FFX's plot is based on Japanese legends and folktales, FFIX's has a reference to almost every game in the series but mostly follows IV and VII's plot. VII's plot heavily borrows elements used in the Seiken Denestsu and Chrono Trigger games (basically all of it) to where it loses most of it's originality. VI's plot (as much as I love this game) borrows elements from FFII and Star Wars.

In fact, most of the series is guilty of borrowing from Star Wars, but Star Wars is guilty of borrowing from classic literature and Asian lore as well so we kinda go full circle here. It's not really about originality in the story, it's about originality in how you tell it.

I'm with Paul on my feelings of FFXII and the series as a whole. I don't hate the later games but I noticed what Paul mentioned about the gameplay element being dumbed down and the over the top stories and characters I don't care about. My favorite thing about the early games (FFI-FFV) is the exploration aspect of the game. I liked traveling around and seeing what secrets I could find, to me, it's a defining element of the RPG expereience. It's something that has disappeared in the series since the PS1 era and it's been getting worse.

FFXII proved to me that a game like the old days is still possible. It's not about mini-games or one secret dungeon with an "uber boss" to defeat. I want entire cities and several locations and dungeons that are completely optional and have no significant importance to the story.

Also... Love stories? Dear god are they really that important? I haven't been impressed with a love story in the series since FFVII. Besides the market of JRPG's are saturated with this junk. I think it was good of FFXII to be rid of it for awhile.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Adults read books. Like the Roman Empire history or Alexandre Dumas or Hamlet or... Even watch Leonardo Di Caprio in the Man on the Iron Mask...

The political intrigue told in XII has been told many other times, a lot better and even happened in reality once or twice.

The previous FFs had an original inovative story. This one just reheated some old and tired leftovers
    You, know it think it's funny that you have to insult FFXII's plot by comparing it to classic literature (a videogame with a story close to Shakespeares' works? That's almost a compliment Well except the Leonardo Di Caprio part:rolleyes2

As for your bottom quote, the last FF to have an original story within the main series was FFVIII (as bizarre as it's plot is...) and before that, it was FFV. FFX's plot is based on Japanese legends and folktales, FFIX's has a reference to almost every game in the series but mostly follows IV and VII's plot. VII's plot heavily borrows elements used in the Seiken Denestsu and Chrono Trigger games (basically all of it) to where it loses most of it's originality. VI's plot (as much as I love this game) borrows elements from FFII and Star Wars.

In fact, most of the series is guilty of borrowing from Star Wars, but Star Wars is guilty of borrowing from classic literature and Asian lore as well so we kinda go full circle here. It's not really about originality in the story, it's about originality in how you tell it.

I'm with Paul on my feelings of FFXII and the series as a whole. I don't hate the later games but I noticed what Paul mentioned about the gameplay element being dumbed down and the over the top stories and characters I don't care about. My favorite thing about the early games (FFI-FFV) is the exploration aspect of the game. I liked traveling around and seeing what secrets I could find, to me, it's a defining element of the RPG expereience. It's something that has disappeared in the series since the PS1 era and it's been getting worse.

FFXII proved to me that a game like the old days is still possible. It's not about mini-games or one secret dungeon with an "uber boss" to defeat. I want entire cities and several locations and dungeons that are completely optional and have no significant importance to the story.

Also... Love stories? Dear god are they really that important? I haven't been impressed with a love story in the series since FFVII. Besides the market of JRPG's are saturated with this junk. I think it was good of FFXII to be rid of it for awhile.
    Wolf Kanno for president. :mog:

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

I am still quite taken aback that so many were upset over the lack of love story. I belong to another forum where they were talking about it, and some of them were saying things like "Final Fantasy is all ABOUT a love story. Without one, it isn't even Final Fantasy." Wha~?

After five games in a row (minus XI and counting X-2) with very dominant love themes, I think it's refreshing they kept away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarWeaver View Post
    After five games in a row (minus XI and counting X-2) with very dominant love themes, I think it's refreshing they kept away from it.
    yeah this is the kind of fan you end up with when they've grown up playing FF8, 9 and 10. in other words they have no idea what makes this series great and they would rather watch an anime version of cinderella 99 times than experience something worthwhile.

wolf kanno: said it better than i could mate

i'm sure that Vaan is infatuated by Penelo, and there's gonna be summin goin on in the love department between the two...!!!
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    i'm sure that Vaan is infatuated by Penelo, and there's gonna be summin goin on in the love department between the two...!!!

If you want the truth... (SPOILER)
    It's mostly hinted that Vaan and Penelo are an item and even more debatedly the pairing of Fran and Balthier... But you never get a scene where you see the pairs declare their love or start smooching. In that sense the characters could also be percieved to be just good friends.

Vaan and Penelo though do have stronger hints to being in an relationship. A few of the NPC's in Rabanastre allude to the fact that the two at least have crushes on each other.

As for Fran and Balthier, it's more difficult to say. But there is a huge... thread dedicated to that subject.

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

(SPOILER)The wikipedia article on RW, last suggested they were becoming more of an item :O

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

If you want the truth... (SPOILER)
    It's mostly hinted that Vaan and Penelo are an item and even more debatedly the pairing of Fran and Balthier... But you never get a scene where you see the pairs declare their love or start smooching. In that sense the characters could also be percieved to be just good friends.

Vaan and Penelo though do have stronger hints to being in an relationship. A few of the NPC's in Rabanastre allude to the fact that the two at least have crushes on each other.

As for Fran and Balthier, it's more difficult to say. But there is a huge... thread dedicated to that subject.
    Nahhh, there just strictly partners who happen to know a lot about each other in depth. People jump to quick to say 'love' between a man and a woman-But Vaan and Penelo are obviously falling for each other, probably just hormones!

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I thought Larsa and Penelo were more of an item than Vaan ad Penelo.

Meh... After Wolf Kano and others with similar arguments spent 4 months explaining the story for me, I realized that FFXII story arch is OK but pretty beatean up already by George Lucas, Leonardo de Caprio (playing what Alexandre Dumas wrote), and many other authors... including Shakespeare, who not surprisingly did a much better job of telling it.

Which doesn't change the fact that the story teling, i.e. dialogues and pacing, is dismal. This has been debated to death, I don't want to repeat it but I think that after 3 continents played the game and gamers in all 3 continents noticed the same thing it is pretty undeniable that something is off with the story telling.

Who cares ? FFXII is a good game in spite of it, at least to me. I'm just relieved it wasn't just me being picky, immature, or missing animated Cinderela 99!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

well i can't say the pacing is perfect, but the dialogues are a million miles better than FF10.

FF10 is like
    Tidus: you know.. sometimes i just feel... empty...
    Yuna: oh tidus me too... lets write poetry

lol you hit it right on the spot

I agree, I just got this game and it is the worst game I have ever played, and I've played about 150 games. The battle system is tedious and leveling up takes forever. The story moves too slowly and Vaan is ugly!

oh i was talking about paul's ffx dialogue. i like ffxii. er..were you replying to my post in the first place?

No I wasn't I'm just saying this game is awful. XD

Certain people are too negative about this game, it's not half bad-in fact it's really good, except for the fact that i get tired quickly from leveling up.