Thread: Who besides me played this game mainly for world exploration?

Default Who besides me played this game mainly for world exploration?

I played Final Fantasy XI years ago. In the game I remember how I was at level 10 and basically just tried to explore as much as I can. I didn't worry about leveling up or doing any quests. That exploration is what was enjoyable to me. I searched on the internet for websites that have all Final Fantasy XI maps and you can view any map and click right on that map to any map that is connected to it. In this fashion you can see what the entire world looks like easily. I enjoy it!

http://www.ffxi-maps.com

Try that website. I remember visiting the 3 main cities but I didn't get to Jeuno before I stopped playing. I think I ran out of money or moved or lost internet or something I forget. Who else likes world exploration above all else in this game?
    Recently beaten: Alundra 1, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    Will play next: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3(???)
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

when I started out thats what I did. I often found my self in very tight spots like....Ranguemont Pass or on the elevator in Ghelshba Outpost. I got tired of dieing when I did that so I dont do it as much anymore.

Browse that website I gave you. Does it bring back fond memories? Do you still play the game? Also, what is your favorite area? I can't remember right now but in Final Fantasy XII I prefer Tchita Uplands, so in Final Fantasy XI I would like something similar. Basically a place with grass and some trees. I'm not talking about a beach or a swamp or mountains or desert, but something more like Tchita Uplands.
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, Final Fantasy I
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

A better website is www.ffxi-atlas.com, and yeah, I used to explore this game. Even after a few years I still find myself exploring newer areas. But there's so much more to do in the game than just explore.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

How popular is this game now in United States? World of Warcraft has been out for a while now.
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Having done pretty much everything the game has to offer I can't say that there's much left for me to explore. I have been to nearly every zone in the game and seen pretty much all there is to see.

As for popularity, I don't even think you can talk about FFXI popularity in the same sentence with WoW popularity as they are so such vastly different levels in that arena. FFXI is still kicking in English speaking countries, but it's far from popular.

I usually take my time when exploring the world. If I'm at a high level, I tend to do a little exploring

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I remember the first time I was exploring sky with a couple of friends. Nothing seemed to aggro, except for the dolls in the wall -- haha, that was a fun experience.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I love roaming around places with others

^_^

Chocobo Joyrides are <3

edit: until the Chocobo decides to expire when you are in a rather high level area :S

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Having done pretty much everything the game has to offer I can't say that there's much left for me to explore. I have been to nearly every zone in the game and seen pretty much all there is to see.

As for popularity, I don't even think you can talk about FFXI popularity in the same sentence with WoW popularity as they are so such vastly different levels in that arena. FFXI is still kicking in English speaking countries, but it's far from popular.
    Yeargdribble, How many hours have you played? What have you not done?

Also, your signature rules! I want to get around to seeing the movie "The Fountain" but I haven't. I saw "The Prestige" though. That was a pretty insanely great movie and I wanted to see it again the second it was over, just like it says in the recent commercial. I think The Prestige should have been nominated for Best Picture of the year. This reminds me, I should PROBABLY see The Departed, hehe!

Please tell me more information about the quote/guy from your signature. I agree atleast partially with those quotes. I like them!
    *Last Update 7-25-2008

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Initially, I explored the world and roamed as freely as I pleased, but when I found out about the world of leveling and becoming powerful...

I was dissuaded from world exploration by the severe penalty for dying and fighting alone.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

The enjoyment of exploration is but one of the reasons I play this, I think paying monthly just for exploring is a tad crazy. :P
    jkhkjg

Well as a good number of people here know, I'm semi-retired. I had well over 300 days of play time (though I occasionally bazaar'd overnight).

As for things I haven't done, that's a short list. I haven't done some of the higher tier Assaults or Salvage. Pretty much everything else I have. I've beaten Dynamis (including Tavnazia); I know all Limbus zones deeply and was the primary puller for a previous LS; I could do sky blindfolded and drunk; I've fought all jailers and even Absolute Virtue.

Although I have done some Kings and Wyrms, I've not done much of them and I've also never done Bahamut v2. Those are events where you literally have to sell your soul to a LS to participate regularly in.

As for my sig, Pirisig is a philosopher and is probably most well known for his book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values" in which he discusses the "metaphysics of quality." If the quote in my sig has sparked you interest then I highly suggest you read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. It's an amazing book and quite and easy and pleasurable read.
    Last edited by Yeargdribble; 03-03-2007 at 11:28 PM.