Thread: Hm, am I using a good party?

Banned

Default Hm, am I using a good party?

I'm pretty dubious on whether my party is good or not.
    I mean, I do enjoy it, and it does fit my picky tastes fairly well, but I don't know...

You see, the main lack with my party is the fact that my main fighter (Firion) uses all the white magic (which basically makes him a strong Paladin), so I'm screwed if he dies, and since he's a front row fighter, he'll get hit fairly often.
    I guess increasing Evasion% and carrying around Phoenix Downs is a decent solution to the problem, but I'm still dubious...

Any hints on advice?
    I guess everyone should learn Life, Heal and Exit, but I'm a purist, so I don't want my black mage (Maria) and my berserker (Gus) to use any white magic.

I typically spread magic between him and Maria, then the 4th member (depending on who it was) and a few spells to Gus.
    This space intentionally left blank.

My party setup is the same as yours, Peter. My Firion wouldn't die as much. Probably because I give him a Shield instead of dual wielding. I had no problems. I think you're doing fine

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I'd give Life and Cure to at least two characters. Also, use shields and light armor.

If you really are a purist, just raise Firions evasion/agillity via afformentioned shields and hope for the best.

This is the one FF game where it's way better to make one (or two but I wouldn't recommend it) universal magic user(s) and the rest fighters instead of making a bunch of paladins, white mages, or black mages. Since some stats go down as other go up, paladins usually end up very mediocre and can't stand against later enemies as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by silentenigma View Post
    This is the one FF game where it's way better to make one (or two but I wouldn't recommend it) universal magic user(s) and the rest fighters instead of making a bunch of paladins, white mages, or black mages. Since some stats go down as other go up, paladins usually end up very mediocre and can't stand against later enemies as well.
    I guess I'll have to take that risk.

I mean, I can't think of a better party that actually fits my tastes.
    If I make Firion a fighter, then Maria will have to act as a white mage (even though she's obviously a black mage, seeing as her Intelligence is rather high), because Gus really isn't supposed to be a mage at all; it's obvious that he's the main physical fighter in the party, and making Firion a white mage just doesn't feel right either.

It would've been much easier if Gus were another mage-type character; in that case I'd instantly make Firion a fighter, Maria a white mage (well, I like to use ladies as healers) and Gus a black mage.

Dark Knight of EOFF darksword12's Avatar

Advice: Play FF2 on DoS. No stat reduction in that version.

I did something similar, but gave a few random spells to other characters, i.e. cure, life, and a couple of black magics.

I played this with Firion as my Swordsman/Healer, and it worked out fine until he was killed.

Then I decided that being a purist to the extent of not giving my Axeman and my Flare-Caster Life, Cure and Heal is no good.

So now Axeman brings Frio back to vida when death rears it's ugly head.

Give all three of them the 'common magic'.

Common Magic: Fire, Ice/Blizzard, Bolt/Thunder, Cure & Life.
    Maria: Common Magic + fill the rest with other white magic.
    Firion: Common Magic + evenly fill the rest with other Black&White Magic
    Gus: Common Magic + any other magic thats helps Gus' combat skills