Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...But wait, it has no storyline!

Quote Originally Posted by Radje View Post
    (I assure you, this is FFXII related.)

In my mind there are three "generations" of Final Fantasy Player.

First of all you have Generation 1. The proud grandparents of the bunch who grew up with the first Final Fantasy games. The jumbled mix of pixels that relied so purely on epic storylines and amusing plays on words and the poor graphics.

Most recently, however, you have the Generation 3 people. These are the newer (and generally younger) players whose first games were FFXI / FFXII / FFX-2 or even...Kingdom Hearts.... These people are fans of the vast landscapes, the non-linear storylines or missions as the FF world has began making use of.

I like to believe I am part of the middle group. Generation 2; the balding, mid life crisised group. We grew up with FFVII on the good old playstation. We remember how we used to think the FMVs in 7 looked as convincing as real life. Gameplay was getting better and the funny square lumpy characters had a certain frantic charm to them which kept us going through the years to follow. FFVIII and FFIX then finally FFX immersed us completely. The storylines bringing us to tears.

Which brings me nicely to my point. Am i really so old fashioned as to miss it, or does FFXII have no thrilling storyline what-so-ever?

It had one or two mentions of a war that you never saw but for a brief bit of plot to get you used to the game. It had the occasional warning of Arcadian forces getting hold of/ making stones that could destroy the world (Materia anyone?) and then Ashe and co thwarted the attempt in what would be 5 minutes of plot if you don't count the massive trecks through the tedious, albeit gorgeous landscapes to get to the next temple...thing.

FFXII was a game that kept me hooked, it had a great run up to what could've been a storyline to Rival the tear inducing FFX, the battle system was interesting and useful, your clan and the huge locations were marvellous.

But then it just stopped, the storyline never advanced further than (SPOILER)Cid almost destroying...a tower. The locations had little to no history unlike that of the game's predecessors and the characters barely befriended one another. No love story.

I thought storyline was what Square was all about, was i wrong? Let me know your opinions.
    In my opinion there will never be another story like the one in FF7 (i´m a part of generation2 too )... i just think we have to be open-minded to the new FF´s, but never compare it to a game (FF7) like no other...

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Radje View Post
    That'll be why i could never get into this game then *chuckles*. I hate intricate politics.
    Me too, and it's not that intricate either it's just "power, gimme power, buahahaha!"
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

FF7 was good, but so far i think FF12 is better-maybe not story-wise but I'm probably just saying that i like it more because it has the updated advantages. If FF7 had all the attributes that FF12 has, that would be a true game to remember.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    If FF7FF12 had all the attributes story line that FFX has, that would be a true game to remember.
    Hence my grumpiness with the game. As someone said before, nothing pisses of a gamer more than wasted potential

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    If FF7FF12 had all the attributes story line that FFX has, that would be a true game to remember.
    Hence my grumpiness with the game. As someone said before, nothing pisses of a gamer more than wasted potential

Lord, if FFXII's story was written like FFX's I would be in the same boat as you are now Renmiri. I would like the gameplay but probably hate the cast and plot cause they had such wonderful potential and were ruined by bad writing and forced emotion, just like FFX...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yevon forgive the man, he knows not what he says

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

St. Ajora, bless this woman, so she may see the glorious light of Ivalice...

Further proof that Final Fantasy will be the cause of the next World War. Square is out of control.

If Yevon was against 12..that explains where all the good summons went :P

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    St. Ajora, bless this woman, so she may see the glorious light of Ivalice...
    Tsk, tsk... Not the Grand Kiltias Anastasis or St Miriam ?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Know your roots...

Besides the Grand Kiltias (SPOILER)didn't exactly make it through the whole game... Besides, St. Ajora (SPOILER)is connected to the Espers/ Lucavi

And what's with this summon nonsense? Good lord people, is your entire gaming experience so easily crushed if you don't get one Ifrit and Shiva?

Damn right it is! :P Having a big ass beastie throwing chunks of flaming earth at your enemies makes a Final Fantasy lol.

huh what?
    (SPOILER)When Yu Yevon was destroyed, summons everywhere dissapated into the farplane. So if Yevon didn't like Final Fantasy 12, he couldn've...i dunno, snatched them. I've forgotten where i was going with that...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Rats, pwned again

this game is 100 times better then X

Quote Originally Posted by chrisfffan View Post
    this game is 100 times better then X
    I hate to agree with you but your right, this game really is that good. I've only gotten 8 or 9 nine hours into it but the story so far seems pretty great and the characters are brilliant.