Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ...But wait, it has no storyline!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Amazing View Post
    FFXII story is fine. My first FF was 10 and I still like this one. I've also played I and VII so you could say I'm experienced from all 'generations'. XII is innonative and new. So obviously some people aren't going to like it.

Shame on you for not being able to handle change.
    That line made me laugh; it's so true. For every generation it jsut comes down to what you look for in a game and because I always look for an epic down-to-the-person storyline I see X as the peak of the series.

It isn't to say that I didn't like XII, I was hooked for a good 60 hours + but it just didn't feel Final Fantasy, much like X-2 swayed so much from the FF path that despite its good points it detracted far too much. (Chocobo music is NOT to be replaced altogether, whether you are a new composer or not.)

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    When since was Biggs and Wedge in XII? I still haven't noticed them. A trend has been hung and rotted to mere coils of dust, and slowly evaporated into the nigh of the winds. (basically they stopped it).
    Deweg and Gibbs are the name of the guards at Nalbina that block your access to Mosphoran Highwaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Radje View Post
    it jsut comes down to what you look for in a game and because I always look for an epic down-to-the-person storyline I see X as the peak of the series.

It isn't to say that I didn't like XII, I was hooked for a good 60 hours + but it just didn't feel Final Fantasy, much like X-2 swayed so much from the FF path that despite its good points it detracted far too much. (Chocobo music is NOT to be replaced altogether, whether you are a new composer or not.)
    QFT!!!

I love XII gameplay, graphics, hunts, monsters (except chimeras looking like turkeys ewww!), the areas, the homage to Star Wars, etc... But story and music were not among the things I loved about it.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Lol, S.E are very humorous aren't they...Gibbs and Deweg, that makes me laugh how they changed the letters up.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Amazing View Post
    FFXII story is fine. My first FF was 10 and I still like this one. I've also played I and VII so you could say I'm experienced from all 'generations'. XII is innonative and new. So obviously some people aren't going to like it.

Shame on you for not being able to handle change.
    Definately not. I was expecting alot of change. I agree with the threadstarter's argument, i started with the PSX generation, and I've seen each game follow up the last with alot of innovation.

XII just seemed like a very generic game. As one of the people who made threads about this game's flaws, I really have to say the biggest flaw is a complete lack of storyline. They bombard you with a massive, almost short-film of a cutscene in the beginning, then immerse you into the world. the opening of the game is very good. But after that you find yourself playing for hours at a time of senseless dungeon wandering, only to get a short few minute cutscene that advances the plot. Unfortuantely, this leads to points where you ask yourself "just what exactly is going on again? Why are we here? what are we doing???."

I think the problem is that there is just so much to do, and they perhaps went a little overboard with some dungeons. As far as creating an immense new WORLD, they succeeded brilliantly, but there's not alot of RPG to go along with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102046

Read the whole thing...

Also, I feel there are four generations, the gap between FFI being released from FFIV was long enough to warrant them being there own generation. So you could easily divide the generations by the systems they are released in

By your system, I'm Generation 1(in my day, we didn't have fancy schmancy graphics and cutscenes! Hell, half the time you didn't even know what you were fighting, it all just looked like jumbled pixels. I once thought that FFI was a game about destroying evil "pixel demons"... and other generic old guy phrases...) by my system, I'm the SNES (or Super Famicom) generation (FFVI is better that FFVII, Rosa and Cecil are a better couple than Squall and Rinoa, as well as Yuna and Tidus. FFV has better gameplay than all of Generation 1, 3, and 4 combined... ) But I loved your social explanation of FF fans.
    What about the freakish "Generation X" which fits into none of those categories but can easily relate to all of the above? I for example come from the SNES gen, thrived in the PSX gen, idled, but still played in the PS2 gen and still love FFI...

To be honest I cling most to games from completely different gens, FFT, FFVI, FFXII and FFI being favorites of mine, though I still enjoy all the others as well... Im one of those that has never been able to stick with a favorite honestly because they are all different games for christ-sake. (Not to argue with you, but more or less to clarify the point that it would be silly to over-generalize the opinionated )

Quote Originally Posted by Setzer Gabianni View Post
    Oh my..another "FFXII has no storyline" thread. The whole no gripping storyline is based on people's opinions. The storyline was there, not everyone is expected to be like hooked to it. It's the same with every other game.

Oh, and there was love. Believe it or not, in unusual ways I think.
    Most FF games have never had such a definite love story/theme anyway. X and VIII had the strongest. All the others..just bare traces. People have become so obsessed with these supposed pairings in each game nowadays that people firmly believe there is such a strong desire to have a love story smack bang right in your face every time.

Not all love has to be something like Cecil x Rosa - Larsa had a love for peace - he wanted no war, and cared greatly for cooperation with Ashe. Basch and Ashe themselves had a great love for freeing Dalmasca, freeing the people from the clutches of the empire. Even characters like Vossler had a great love..desire to restore Dalmasca back to what it used to be.

And there was love also..in the sense pretty much everyone else thinks of - Ashe still had strong feelings for Rasler, it was unfortunate however, that the poor bastard had to die.

*In a way, this whole thing makes me think about Valentines Day, where the majority of people, treat that day as just a day for lover's. It isn't. Valentines Day is supposed to be a day where you show your love, appreciation, for anybody that you hold close to your heart.*
    Amen.