Thread: Vayne (spoilers)

Default Vayne (spoilers)

Was there already a thread on this? I couldn't find it if there was.

How did everyone like Vayne as an FF Villian?

I find him to be the most "human" of the FF villians. He has little impetus in the plot until at least the second half, however all of his plots and motives are completely relatable. It is often human nature to get lost in the power struggle for a cause that you think is good, even though others may not. Vayne wasn't even so bad other than the power hunger. He simply wanted to free humanity (albeit taking a few lives in between).

He wasn't completely out of nowhere (Necron, Zemus, Dark Cloud), he had a backstory (Garland), he wasn't insane (Kefka, Sephiroth), and had a legitamate plan to get what he wanted (Ultimecia).

Overall, he wasn't the most menacing or harmful of villians, but easily the most relatable.

Your thoughts?
    Sigless

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You don't think it is insane to risk an entire city full of innocent people just to "set an example" ? You don't think it is insane to kill 2 brothers and your own father ?
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

I liked Vayne as a villian, though I wish he was a bit more involved in the story as he disappears for quite a while it seems. But he was fairly evil, even if he thought he was doing good. Though he did produce one of my most favorite lines period towards the end of the game. (SPOILER)"Cid, killed by his own son. A rather common tale of late." I was all like when I heard that.

Also Zemus didn't come out of nowhere, he was foreshadowed to since the first tower where you encounter Golbez, and didn't appear within the last 3 seconds of the game to say "Let's fight!" like other villains, they actually gave you some time to ease into the idea of him existing.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Vayne is a pretty wicked villain. As mentioned, he has some wonderful lines. However, I believe they could have focused on him a bit more instead of just throwing him back into the story like that. Although he wasn't just thrown into the story all of the sudden, he wasn't reintroduced in a very fluid manner (especially when (SPOILER) Cid and Gabranth start stealing the villain spotlight). Oh well, awkward pacing of the storyline has already been pointed out too many times to count.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yh They needed to invole him more, He is mst prominait in the end

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Vayne's pretty evil, he's just the first villain who didn't have a selfish motive that's all. He gets corrupted by the end, but come on...(SPOILER) if you were going to topple the gods and had the power to do so, I think we all would get a little cocky and self righteous.

(SPOILER)
    I think him killing his older brothers was completely political, since I don't believe he knew about the Occurians yet. His father's death was so he could assume power and fulfill his plan of "liberation" without having to deal with the old man and the Senate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

aPretty good there but we only see him in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Renmiri View Post
    You don't think it is insane to risk an entire city full of innocent people just to "set an example" ? You don't think it is insane to kill 2 brothers and your own father ?
    Is that a hint as to what happens to Larsa? I've just got out of the Stilshrine of Miriam, so I'm not that far yet. PM the answer.
    Signature removed for exceeding the 50 KB filesize limit and far exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Melkhar View Post
    Is that a hint as to what happens to Larsa? I've just got out of the Stilshrine of Miriam, so I'm not that far yet. PM the answer.
    Your very next scene will tell it so I won't need to PM it
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs: