Thread: -203 Error

Default -203 Error

THis guy from this site has the same Error Message I'm getting. It Seems to come up with every Plugin or update.

http://simile.mit.edu/issues/browse/PIGGYBANK-100

I'm not really sure how he fixed it, so if you can either tell me what he said in idiot speak or give me another way to fix it, I'd much appriciate it.

Ciddieless since 2004

I'm not too hot with Linux, but what I gather he did was:

1. Opened the Components folder in where he had downloaded (not compiled/installed) Firefox.
    2. Copied the file nsExtensionManager.js
    3. Then pasted the file to the Components folder in where he had actually installed Firefox.

I don't know where Ubuntu keeps its uninstalled copy of Firefox, so you might have to download Firefox again to get the nsExtensionManager.js file.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

How do I know where FireFox was installed to?

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

You're getting an HTTP error 203, which means the file that you're trying to download is zero bytes in size. Basically, you're trying to download nothing. It's probably an error on the part of the server, so try installing an extension from <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/">here</a>.

Are you actually using Ubuntu, or any Linux distro? If you are, generally you can find the folders specific to applications in you home directory as cruft (hidden files that begin with "."). So on most distros, your Firefox preferences would be in ~/.mozilla-firefox; so to copy the file over, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    cd <i>directory-of-.js-file</i>; cp *.js ~/mozilla-firefox/<i>path-to-components-folder</i>
    If you're using Windows, download the .xpi file (right click/save as, etc.) and save it to your computer. If that fails it's likely to be a server fault, and you could try looking for it elsewhere. In Firefox, open up Tools > Addons and drag the .xpi file into the extensions section. That should install it.
    This method isn't reliable in Linux because it can depend on the location of your preferences directory and the permissions of the shell currently logged in.

As Odaisé Gaelach said, the guy in the link you provided downloaded the source code of Firefox, took the nsExtensionManager.js file and put it into the components folder of his current installation, which on Windows would be C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components, and on Linux will certainly vary, but check /opt/mozilla-firefox and ~/mozilla-firefox for the components folder anyway.

Sorry for not checking this earlier, the fact I couldn't download plugins slipped my mind.

Whe I try right clicking the download links, I'm not getting the "Save Target As" option.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Do you have "Save Link As" or for that matter, "Save [anything] As"?
    If you don't can you post a link to the page you're trying to download from?

What operating system are you using; I'm still unsure as to whether you're using Linux or Windows.

http://www.java.com/en/download/

Thats the site. And its running off windows.

I do have Save LInk As though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That's the Java Runtime Environment (JRE); not a plugin for Firefox. It works by integrating itself into Windows in various ways and allows you to run, but not compile Java programs. The guy in the link at the top was having trouble installing a plugin for Firefox, so it looks like you have different issues there.

See if you can download the offline installation from <a href="http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_manual.jsp">here</a>. That should allow you to download an executable, which should set you up.

This is what I get when trying to download the exacuteable.

Windows Installer

The Instillation package could not be opened. Verify the package exists and that you can access it. Or contact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid windows installer package.