Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Default Quotes

Just because I'm bored, I thought I'd make a topic. What are your favourite quotes? Just little blurbs or lines that are amusing or profound or whatever. I like to keep a list on my computer. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Brothers
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Mage, 8-Bit Theater
    Love is a very powerful force. Even more so when it's focused into a coherent beam of destruction.
    There are some great ones from Douglas Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
    And perhaps my favourite quote ever:

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Seuss
    Always do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Anyway, give 'er.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

I'm just going outside I may be some time.

Blog Entries

For Taimat there is only victory.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    For Taimat there is only victory.
    Thread won.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tupac Shakur
    "They got money for wars but can't feed the poor"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupac Shakur
    "I'm old enough to go to war, but i ain't old enough to drink"

Str8 Pimpin'

“Hope — it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Booker T. Washington
    I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A few of my faves:

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to snack on vegetables." - Karl Gans

"You can't manipulate the marionette with only one string" - It's from one of the Dune books. Chapterhouse I think.

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience." - Dune

"Let us not rail about justice so long as we have arms and the freedom to use them." - Dune

"If you need something to worship, then worship life - all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!" - Dune Messiah

"My uncle Malky use to say that love was a bad bargain because you get no gaurantees." "Your uncle Malky was a smart wise man." "He was stupid! Love needs no guarantees." - God Emperor of Dune - Hwi Noree to Duncan Idaho

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki
    I only have two.

<blockquote>I値l never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I値l never know the joy of driving through the city without a bag over my head. But I知 not a loser. Because, despite it all, me and every other guy who値l never be what they wanted to be, is out there, being what we don稚 want to be, forty hours a week, for life. And the fact that I didn稚 put a gun in my mouth years ago葉hat little fact makes me a winner, baby.
    Al Bundy</blockquote>

Oh, whoops.

[Q=Resha]And his name was Hammy. He hated me. I used to feel his brains (because hamsters have really thin skulls) and...well, maybe that's why he hated me. I don't know. I was a kid. And then he bit my daddy's hand and ran away one day.[/Q]

Most everything on this page is fairly amusing. Though I'm particularly fond of

"I don't feel good."
    - The last words of Luther Burbank

and of course

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
    - Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Plato was a bore."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
    - Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
    - Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"Hemingway was a jerk."
    - Harold Robbins
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    I only have two.

<blockquote>I値l never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I値l never know the joy of driving through the city without a bag over my head. But I知 not a loser. Because, despite it all, me and every other guy who値l never be what they wanted to be, is out there, being what we don稚 want to be, forty hours a week, for life. And the fact that I didn稚 put a gun in my mouth years ago葉hat little fact makes me a winner, baby.
    Al Bundy</blockquote>
    I like that one. :P

For Children: You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Anything by Douglas Adams, really, though this is probably my favorite:
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
    Also, there are so many awesome lines in both The Talisman and It that I don't want to do an injustice to by misquoting. But they're there, and they're fantastic.

This is definitely one of my favorite quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles de Lint
    There's stories and then there's stories. The ones with any worth change your life forever, perhaps only in a small way, but once you've heard them, they are forever a part of you. You nurture them and pass them on, and the giving only makes you feel better. The others are just words on a page.

Neil Gaiman has written some really, really great stuff, as well, and there are far too many good lines in Sandman to think about picking through. But there's one, probably from my favorite issue, that I already have copied down, so here we go:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Gaiman
    At the end of the procession, a bit behind everyone else, there were these two girls. One of them kept hesitating. She'd walk a few steps and stop. Like she's forgotten what she was doing, where she was. The she'd walk a little more. The other one...The one at the end. I think I fell in love with her, a little bit. Isn't that dumb? But it was like I knew her. Like she was my oldest, dearest friend. The kind of person you can tell anything to, no matter how bad, and they'll still love you, because they know you. I wanted to go with her. I wanted her to notice me. And then she stopped walking. Under the moon, she stopped. And she looked at us. She looked at me. Maybe she was trying to tell me something; I don't know. She probably didn't even know I was there. But I'll always love her. All my life.
    The first line in his novel Anansi Boys is also great, I think.
    It begins, as most things begin, with a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Carey
    You know that look women give you when they want sex? Me neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Cavett
    If your parents never had children chances are you won't either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Presley
    I don't know anything about music. In my line of work you don't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Williams
    Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Lee
    The key to immortality is living a life which is worth being remembered.

Which FF Character Are You?

(SPOILER) This Signature STILL contains spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Cavett
    If your parents never had children chances are you won't either.
    I love that one

The entirety of this: <!--http://maritan.ytmnd.com (Not safe for work, school or anywhere else you might get in trouble)-->That video is inappropriate for this website, so don't post anything like that again. Thanks! -kikimm

Usually I'd run off all my favourite movie and video game quotes, yet for some odd reason I can't think of any of them. Damn it.

EDIT: Yikes! Sorry! It was basically a multitude of Full Metal Jacket lines being spoken by a young Japanese lady, taken from an actual language course you can get in Japan that teaches English slang.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 03-08-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar
    At the end of the procession, a bit behind everyone else, there were these two girls. One of them kept hesitating. She'd walk a few steps and stop. Like she's forgotten what she was doing, where she was. The she'd walk a little more. The other one...The one at the end. I think I fell in love with her, a little bit. Isn't that dumb? But it was like I knew her. Like she was my oldest, dearest friend. The kind of person you can tell anything to, no matter how bad, and they'll still love you, because they know you. I wanted to go with her. I wanted her to notice me. And then she stopped walking. Under the moon, she stopped. And she looked at us. She looked at me. Maybe she was trying to tell me something; I don't know. She probably didn't even know I was there. But I'll always love her. All my life.
    That one probably loses it's impact if you don't know who he's talking about. :P