Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for Don Tonberry?

Default Any tips for Don Tonberry?

Basically, I need to beat Don Tonberry. I have Ultimate weapons for Yuna and Auron, and both have completed their grids BUT I'm a wimp compared to the powah of Don Tonberry. But I can make a Trio of 9999. What should I do? Should I use Trio of 9999 liek, 30 times cause my characters will be dying in, liek, 1 shot? >______>;;;

Just answer me dammit.
    I liek caek. Do you?

98% of the teenage population has made-up statistics in their sigs. If you're one of the 2% that doesn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Want some free music?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Get overdrive->ap weapons, set overdrive mode to comrade or stoic, get hit by karma often, and make dying help you out. Magic is free so cast life whenever they die, and run away after he is done sneaking up on you.

The sphere levels should add up quickly, so then use them to make your party better so they're able to hit harder and kill him! Don't waste items for trio of 9999 unless you're doing some sort of challenge game

I said beat him, not get AP. -_-
    I liek caek. Do you?

98% of the teenage population has made-up statistics in their sigs. If you're one of the 2% that doesn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Want some free music?

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

1) You are most definitely in need of AP desperately if you can't beat Don Tonberry. :rolleyes2 What I hate is when people ask for help beating so-and-so, but don't post their stats. But yours are obviously way too low, or you'd be doing V9 damage a turn and wouldn't have a problem. My advice? Raise your stats to the 200+ range. kthxbye.
    2) Need to beat Don Tonberry? What for? It can't be for AP, or you wouldn't have made that last post, or for bragging rights, as he just isn't that great.
    3) Well... read rubah's post again, and try to make some sense of it.
    This is a signature.

isnt maxing ur sphere grid meaning u have maxed stats?

The spoon is too big! Firo Volondé's Avatar

Not even close, unless you've earned a crapload of Stat Spheres from the Species Creation and built up your stats that way.
    This is a signature.

then how do u put up ur stats when u max the grid???

Quote Originally Posted by KingdomHeartsKing View Post
    then how do u put up ur stats when u max the grid???
    Buy a hell of a lot of clear spheres to delete the useless +1, +2 and +3 stats, and replace them with the stat sphere you win from the creations. It helps if you max the grid before hand as you can move much quicker to replace the nodes, and this is where I think the Don comes in, to give you a bucket load of sphere levels.

Or something like that...

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Actually, you can get maxed stats in everything except Luck, MP, and HP with the nodes that are provided, including unused nodes. You just need Purple Spheres (Species Creations drops) to place +4s where necessary.

To beat Don Tonberry without resorting to level-ups, simply start the battle with characters that haven't killed anything (Yuna, Rikku, maybe Kimahri) and attack as often as possible. He will only Karma you for low damage, the calculation being roughly (kills * 3). Just attack as normal, until he gets closer to you.

Everytime he takes a turn, he takes a step, and once he has three turns, he will remain in the Chef's Knife position, which means your only concern is his Knife, which can attack multiple characters. Cast Protect (assuming it doesn't kill you in one shot), Hastega, and bringing more powerful characters, if you can break 9999 damage. Since you have Celestials, I will say that you can. He stops using Karma as a counter-attack, after that point (I've yet to see him use Karma, if he does).

Don't use Trio of 9999, you are just shooting yourself in the foot, and those little blood cells will come back to haunt you in your sleep and bleed you until you die from heart failure or shock.

I want to make sure I can reliably beat Don Tonberry before attempting the AP Trick. I know I don't have to beat him for the AP Trick but... just in case. >_> <_<

EDIT: Never mind, I killed it.
    Last edited by utelektr; 03-08-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    I liek caek. Do you?

Want some free music?

Doesnt he only kill one person at a time? Would just customizing armor or whatever with auto phoenix ensure he will be beat it due time?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Knife sometimes hits multiple targets.*

*Sometimes meaning hella often, and multiple targets means attacks all, at least more than once.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by utelektr View Post
    I said beat him, not get AP. -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Firo Volondé View Post
    1) You are most definitely in need of AP desperately if you can't beat Don Tonberry. :rolleyes2
    A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, grasshopper.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Actually, it starts with a ticket to the airport.

No, it starts with the will to move your foot.
    I liek caek. Do you?

Want some free music?