Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Names!

Default Names!

We all love that typical mainstay of the FF games where you can rename several important characters. It's getting phased out now due to fully spoken scripts, as well as certain parts of FF8 where it was impossible due to characters' nicknames in dialogue (Irvy, Bossy Little Quisty, Spunky Little Sefie and Cry Baby Ze-ell).

So in honour of a tradition that now seems to be all but dead as of FFX-2, please tell us the names you used to use.

FF1
    Fighters: Desh and Mack
    Red Mages: Tot and !
    Black Belts: KIK!
    Thieves: (Whatever came to mind at the time; never had a main name for those)
    White Mages: FOOD
    Black Mages: ORKO, Vivi S, ucks D, ick in, hell!!

Sometimes I'll make a sentence, usually "Oh...." "My...." "God!" "DIE!", as one of the naming letters in NES FF1 is ".."

FF2
    Default names. Not keen on it anyway, and the names I picked in the NES version before I knew the characters' actual names would be censored if I wrote them here.

FF3
    Again, usually a sentence.

FF4
    Never renamed anyone, except when I play the Japanese retranslation and changed Gilbert back to Edward.

FF5
    Bartz/Butz is usually Psi so I can make him a Time Mage ^____^

FF6
    Cyan - Kyan

FF7
    Usually something that sounds slightly similar. Last time round...
    Cloud - Loud
    Barret - Mallet
    Tifa - Pizza
    (SPOILER)Aeris - I Die L8r
    Red XIII - Red&Green
    Yuffie - Hoopy
    Cait Sith - 8-bit
    Vincent - Dissent
    Cid - Literate (Don't ask how I got that, okay?)

Chocobos, I use some other TV show or movie I'm currently into. Last time I used Mahou Sentai Magiranger characters of corresponding colours, so it was kinda odd when Makito and Urara (SPOILER)incestuously gave birth to their father, Blagel :/

FF8
    Don't rename them. Not even the GFs. Oh wait, I called Siren "Wide Face" once, and renamed Ifrit "Katie" after this pyromaniac girl I knew in school. Seeing Rinoa/Linoa (depends on whether I'm playing English or French version) perform moves like "Bastard Strike" and "Biatch Cannon" is awesome too.

FF9
    Sorry, I'm boring

FF10
    Tidus - Some random derogative that fits in eight letters
    Anima - (A rather simple anagram of the word "Paganism", but I have a feeling I might get modded. I keep attracting their ire because I'm a tad offensive sometimes. So switch the last "A" with that "I", then put the "G" between the "N" and where the "A" now is.)
    Cindy - Mag
    Sandy - Dog
    Mindy - Rag
    (Japanese Magus Sister names, so I'm told)
    Valefor, Ixion and Bahamut are named after a certain british swearword beginning with "W", with Ixion's ending in -ara and Bahamut's ending in -aga.

Sometimes I see threads like this in the invidual forums, but I personally think it's more of a "General Final Fantasy" topic.

Your go.
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 03-08-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: MagiBlue's name is Urara. Houka is MagiPink. God I'm stupid.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

It's usually the defualt, but if made to name my characters (or if I feel like it for one reason or another) I usually name them according to what I think of them and their supposed profession.

However, if it's a second, third, etc... play-through of the game, I will often name them in a sarcastic or immature way. Anything from random letters to your mention of creating sentences out of everyone's names, or simply venting any amount of frustration upon a character I loathe by naming him very obscene things.

Summons and the like are not exempt from this treatment; if anything, they recieve more of it.

Dancing Chocobo

its only realy after i beat the game 2 times that i start renaming.
    Its usealy just a reflection on how much a hate them.
    I'm back who mised me.
    Tumble weed roles across the ground.

I named the ones in FF3 Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny!
    Signature removed for exceeding the 250 pixel height limit.

~Void

I usually leave them as they are, but once in a while I'll give the characters really stupid names just to irritate myself. In FFVIII, Shiva will always be called "my balls", just for those wonderful quotes from Ifrit. ""They have my balls?!" and "Ugh, I underestimated my balls!" And for the fact that everytime Quistis says something like "Squall, you forgot something" before going to the fire caverns, I end up shouting "MY BALLS!!!" and embarrassing myself.

I used to rename the lead character on my first playthroughs, but now I don't... When I started III on a nes emulator a few months ago I actually tried to find some default names for them, but google let me down and I just named them either randomly after some other characters in a fanfic I wrote or named them with some completely invented names (I even named one what I thought would be a girls name, not realising they're all brothers . This one later became my white mage.)

I keep the same names in all of the games, but I do change them if I am feeling really creative with making up names.

My sig and avy are made by me.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

First playthrough= everyone keeps their name

On my first FFX playthrough I named all my aeons after my friends nicknames.
    jkhkjg

I like to name my FFI fighters things like Chop, Stab, and Hack.
    The other games I tend to leave as is.

Just remembered the names my friend used for FF9... they made me and many others laugh.

Zidane: Jim (The guy's name was Jim)
    Vivi: Vrender
    Steiner: Scrapes
    Dagger: Distant
    Freya: (Um, I forgot)
    Quina: Qum
    Eiko: Eaches
    Amarant: Amaze

He had Eaches and Distant in his party, which is good because those were my favourite names.

I've grown out of the rename characters mindset years ago, though sometimes when I feel bored, I name characters stupid names for a cheap laugh.

I mostly give stupid names to Chocobos in FFVII anyway. My fastest gold chocobo was named KTHXBY, for example. It was the offspring of ROFLOL and WTFBBQ.

Oh I forgot about having to name them in FFI
    Black Mage-Corga
    White Mage-Kirsay
    Thief-Lanif
    Warrior-Monhar

My sig and avy are made by me.

all normal for all games but i like to give the main man the name opf mah jay-jay

Quote Originally Posted by Takara View Post
    I mostly give stupid names to Chocobos in FFVII anyway. My fastest gold chocobo was named KTHXBY, for example. It was the offspring of ROFLOL and WTFBBQ.
    Congratulations, you win!