Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 300

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Actually, why are fight scenes an invalid source of worth in a movie?
    Depends on what you like I guess, or what age you are. Im sure some will get a kick out of the fights, but some of us look deeper into a movie. If these fights arent backed up with a good story or acting, then its not worth my time.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Depends on what you like I guess, or what age you are. Im sure some will get a kick out of the fights, but some of us look deeper into a movie. If these fights arent backed up with a good story or acting, then its not worth my time.
    While some of us don't need to pick apart the deeper meanings of everything we watch and just watch it for the fun of it.

I'm seeing it tomorrow in IMAX. Win.

totally, it's a movie about physical conflict, ie battle...and so that might be part of the reason people want to see it...crazy huh?

The only thing thats skewered here is history

YAY hollywood

:P skewered

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The movie looks terrific. Very artsy. Whoa...the trailer just came on T.V. as I was typing this. Anyway, I've been anticipating it for a while now and it will finally be showing. ^_^ Gerard Butler.

dood..that's creepy!

Ok I just seen the trailer and I take it back. What I meant to say is history has been skewered in a horribly monstrous rage of absolute cosmos scale fiery hell for all eternity.

Now only god can save Persia and the Greeks.

Yay hollywood

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Haha, yes. If you sometimes enjoy mindless fun, you must be a child. If your mind isn't engaged in the arts or philosophies at all times, you're an imbecile.

thx4adhominem

:P skewered

so it's not historical...nothing we make about that age could be historically accurate anyway, so why not take the theme and make it interesting?

That’s a good point but the movie is far from just theme orientated, iam sorry but for a person who has studied history his whole life it pierces my heart to see such a farse. Now I don’t mean to drag this helpless thread into historical debate however I feel the need to let free a few facts.

First off there was a total of 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians and 6,000 other Greek allies brining the total to 7,000 defending Greeks not 300. The Persians numbered around 100,000 not on million (who ever believed that needs to just disregard this post and continue reading comics where this movie was drawn from).

Lastly they didn't beat the Persians it was thanks to the Greek defense but more importantly the Thespians (the last ones standing) not the Spartans.

I cant stress this enough the only reason 100,000 Persians were held back was because of two HUGE mountains surrounding the Greeks. Any army can hold off a superior army if all they had to do was defend a small opening surrounded by mountain(choke point).

In conclusion the Persians weren't defeated they were only delayed by what they considered a nuisance. Afterwards they plowed over the Greeks and advanced towards there goal...

Now I hear Vin Diesil is coming out with the movie about the famous general of Carthage “Hannibal The Conqueror”(The greatest and most brilliant General in history) now that is a true epic

Last edited by Diango12; 03-09-2007 at 01:46 AM.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Who cares about historical accuracy?

<font size="7">THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</font>

Does this mean that tonight we will dine in Hell?

Tomorrow night, unless you got in for the midnight showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diango12 View Post
    That’s a good point but the movie is far from just theme orientated, iam sorry but for a person who has studied history his whole life it pierces my heart to see such a farse.
    I've studied history as well, and it doesn't really matter to me how inaccurate this movie is as far as history goes, although it's understandable why some people might be offended by it. At least this movie says it's based on the comic which was inspired by the battle and doesn't claim that things actually happened that way (unlike, say, Kingdom of Heaven which changed quite a few details about certain events and certain characters to suit the movie, although in the end the movie still worked out well despite all the inaccuracies, especially the Director's Cut). So, I'm not expecting a movie similar to, say, The 300 Spartans, but a different movie altogether.

I'm most likely going to enjoy this movie both because of the way it seems to capture the spirit of the battle (albeit the whole thing seems very much exaggerated in the movie with all those monsters and huge armies and whatnot, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing) and yet has unique things that set it apart from reality. The visual style of the movie suggests this as well, and it looks like it'll be a real treat.

In conclusion the Persians weren't defeated they were only delayed by what they considered a nuisance. Afterwards they plowed over the Greeks and advanced towards there goal...
    ...until they got their asses handed back to them later on in the Battle of Salamis where the Greeks managed to turn the tide of the war (even though some argue that the Greeks might've lost the battle unless they had been tricked by one of their commanders who kind of forced them into a situation where the only option was to either fight or die; retreat was impossible).

It would actually be awesome if a modern epic movie centering around the Battle of Salamis was made. The use of CGI, epic score and good actors as well as breathtaking visuals and a good director and script writer might make it one of the most epic movies in recent times.

Now I hear Vin Diesil is coming out with the movie about the famous general of Carthage “Hannibal The Conqueror”(The greatest and most brilliant General in history) now that is a true epic.
    I do hope that whatever movie we get about Hannibal will turn out to be a good one, because he was one of my favourites. I'll be expecting an epic similar to Gladiator, Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven (to mention a few recent examples). I'm just worried whether Vin Diesel is actually good enough, because so far the only good role he had was in The Iron Giant. But we'll see what happens.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki