Thread: 300

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    Is the concept of a completely fictional story inspired by actual historical documentation really that hard to understand, or that shameful to enjoy?

If you seriously have to ask yourself whether or not you can lower your standards enough to see it, definitely don't go.

I loved it. I got exactly what I was expecting. Could have done without the audience, but the movie itself was fantastic.
    My sentiments exactly. I thought the people in my audience were going to be awful at first, but they quieted down for the most part and it ended up being fine.

I just got back from seeing it, and it was pretty sweet. I thought that (SPOILER)Leonidas's death was a little extravagant, as he would have died much sooner from an arrowhead in the chest, but I suppose that's not much compared to the other distortions of reality. A good movie, all-in-all.

*delurk*

That was the best shamless two hours' worth of movie awesomeness I have had the pleasure to see in a long, long time. Completely devoid of plot and chock-full of beautiful violence, I would have absolutely no qualms with paying another 12 bucks to see it again.

By the way? Queen Gorgo = WINNER. And once you see the movie, you will know why.

*lurk mode once more*

| Beati Pauperes Spiritu; Quoniam Ipsorum est Regnum Caelorum |

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

If a biopic or a movie based around a historic event but is inaccurate means a movie sucks, then Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' is a terrible movie....and if you think this I have nothing further to discuss with you.

This movie is nothing more than a movie version of the comic book '300', which itself is inspired by the events of the Battle of Thermopylae.

Besides, the moment you saw (SPOILER)10 foot and 20 foot tall monsters the movie was over.

ps: I found it hilarious that even Elephants were toppled.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    *delurk*

That was the best shamless two hours' worth of movie awesomeness I have had the pleasure to see in a long, long time. Completely devoid of plot and chock-full of beautiful violence, I would have absolutely no qualms with paying another 12 bucks to see it again.

By the way? Queen Gorgo = WINNER. And once you see the movie, you will know why.

*lurk mode once more*
    Holy crap you paid 12 bucks to see that movie?

Movie theators were I live only cost 5.25 USD to see a movie.. 3.75 USD if you come to an early showing...

Anyway this movie had no plot line what so ever. I would hate it, but I love its artistic style, and the violence oh yes the violence...

Children Of Men was just as good maybe better, but it was largely ignored, and hated...

Blog Entries

Grin

Why would you watch a movie with a coherent plot? Why not watch a play, or something with intellectual merit?

There are VERY FEW good hollywood movies. In fact I'd wager there are virtually nil good movies (nowadays). Violence in Hollywood is non-existent for fear of lack of return on investments. Comedy is bested by stand-up. Drama is relegated to chick flick status. Cartoons and CGI are by virtue of either culture or marketting a concept only children appreciate.

I watch movies in the theater/cinema only if I know it will be worth my money, and they are few and far between. I'll give new franchaises a chance -- my only exception to the 'rule'.

Quote Originally Posted by Diango12 View Post
    Well it looks like I'll be checking into a saint hospital soon.

Yup I just came back from watching the movie. I'm pretty much not impressed. It was completely identical to "Alexander" all I saw was alot of chest thumpin Greeks Yammering on "Arg were the Greeks were better then the Persian’s boo hoo there here to take our gay men away from us and enslave our glories city's that have 70% of the population already enslaved anyway and insult our woman as if we don't already bury them for not cutting there hair and blah blah etc etc..". In the end this film will make loads as a pride film in Greece little boys and girls in the theater will suddenly start giggling after the the mighty Spartans impale the terrible Persians while eating there apples" O_o

In short if you expected an epic don't count on it if you wanted something close to the remake of ninja turtles you’ll be ok. The only movie well worth its tribute was Troy now that was an epic. So far troy kept true to its objective and not became some pride film to distort history and cultures into monstrous hordes vs the angelic arch warriors <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:rolleyes2<!--[endif]-->

Have fun watching kids
    I agree with you. I went into this movie purely because I just wanted to see something with a great art style.. nothing else. Because its so inaccurate with history, and it over glorifies the greeks. Especially the Spartans, and made the Persians out to be some immoral evil empire........ Though all Empires, and super powers are immoral evil empires... I mean point being said.. Some of the language in the film reminded me of the current arrogant atitude that American polticians have, and how they do things to screw its continuents over, and how they say fi you are against this then you are unamerican. It reminded me of a patriotic morallity boost that just made me sick to my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureghetto View Post
    Why would you watch a movie with a coherent plot? Why not watch a play, or something with intellectual merit?

There are VERY FEW good hollywood movies. In fact I'd wager there are virtually nil good movies (nowadays). Violence in Hollywood is non-existent for fear of lack of return on investments. Comedy is bested by stand-up. Drama is relegated to chick flick status. Cartoons and CGI are by virtue of either culture or marketting a concept only children appreciate.

I watch movies in the theater/cinema only if I know it will be worth my money, and they are few and far between. I'll give new franchaises a chance -- my only exception to the 'rule'.
    Children of Men was a great production. Though it didn't come out of Hollywood.

Check out Idiocracy also because after watching it. I started to think about how we act today(in America)

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Diango12 View Post
    That’s a good point but the movie is far from just theme orientated, iam sorry but for a person who has studied history his whole life it pierces my heart to see such a farse. Now I don’t mean to drag this helpless thread into historical debate however I feel the need to let free a few facts.

First off there was a total of 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians and 6,000 other Greek allies brining the total to 7,000 defending Greeks not 300. The Persians numbered around 100,000 not on million (who ever believed that needs to just disregard this post and continue reading comics where this movie was drawn from).

Lastly they didn't beat the Persians it was thanks to the Greek defense but more importantly the Thespians (the last ones standing) not the Spartans.

I cant stress this enough the only reason 100,000 Persians were held back was because of two HUGE mountains surrounding the Greeks. Any army can hold off a superior army if all they had to do was defend a small opening surrounded by mountain(choke point).

In conclusion the Persians weren't defeated they were only delayed by what they considered a nuisance. Afterwards they plowed over the Greeks and advanced towards there goal...

Now I hear Vin Diesil is coming out with the movie about the famous general of Carthage “Hannibal The Conqueror”(The greatest and most brilliant General in history) now that is a true epic

;)
    FYI I took your text and managed to create at 9 page troll thread over at the worldofwarcraft.com forums (in general chat)

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nozkits View Post

Movie theators were I live only cost 5.25 USD to see a movie.. 3.75 USD if you come to an early showing...

Anyway this movie had no plot line what so ever. I would hate it, but I love its artistic style, and the violence oh yes the violence...

Children Of Men was just as good maybe better, but it was largely ignored, and hated...
    Yup, 12 bucks USD. On a good day, I might pay something between 7 and 10 bucks. That's how it is in San Francisco, though. Cost of Living is ridiculous, and that extends to entertainment. For an evening at the movies, I end up paying something approaching 30 bucks total including movie nachos and drink.

By the way? I LOVED Children of Men. The ending was a bit lacking, but by golly it was the journey that made it so sweet.

| Beati Pauperes Spiritu; Quoniam Ipsorum est Regnum Caelorum |

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nozkits View Post

Yup, 12 bucks USD. On a good day, I might pay something between 7 and 10 bucks. That's how it is in San Francisco, though. Cost of Living is ridiculous, and that extends to entertainment. For an evening at the movies, I end up paying something approaching 30 bucks total including movie nachos and drink.

By the way? I LOVED Children of Men. The ending was a bit lacking, but by golly it was the journey that made it so sweet.
    lol I'm in oklahoma.... cost of living is cheaper .. Before moving here I was in Houston, and it was very very expensive, and wages didn't keep up......

Yea Children of Men was awesome. I loved how there wasn't a scene in the movie were the camera wasn't focussed on the main character.. The violence was realistic. I always argue with my floor mates telling them that warfare today is at its most brutal in human history. Then they go and use the whole arrow in your stomach gives you gangreen is more brutal..... Then I think to myself how outside the real world my floor mates are because After going to Iraq.. You can smell the charred bodies after a roadside bomb attack. YOu can see the gore, and blood. Being at OU I'm surprised they would say that seeing that there was a suicide bomber back in 2005.. But I suggested them to see Children of Men to get my point across lol..

Haha this is hella late and i watched it Saturday last week too. But i enjoyed it alot, and i agree with someone posting about how awesome the Queen was. I remember everyone was clapping and cheering her after she (SPOILER) killed that traitor that took advantage of her . Not to mention the Persian references i see in FFXI, and of course the action.

I didnt really quite mind the historical inaccuracies, thats just nitpicking really, you paid 10 bucks to watch this and i am going to enjoy it. Unlike Ghostrider <3

Cipher: You went to the Metreon to watch it right..? Only place i can think of with such insane prices.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just saw this movie a couple of hours ago. It was great and followed the Gates of Fire book accurately. Though, I thought alot of things were over exaggerated for cinematic reasons like previously said. All in all, it was enjoyable if you like stylistic fight sequences and historical references.

A bisexual pride movie, how can I refuse? Well, having no money (saving for the meetup too) tends to force me not to bother. Yet.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I heard that you're not a man till you see this movie, even if you are 40 years old. But If it makes me a man I don't want to go see it. I mean I like being female.

It looks cool though hopefully i'll see it tomorrow.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lekana View Post
    I heard that you're not a man till you see this movie, even if you are 40 years old. But If it makes me a man I don't want to go see it. I mean I like being female.

It looks cool though hopefully i'll see it tomorrow.
    You will watch this movie and you will like being a man after you see it.

Although King Leonidas' Scottish lilt made me lol.