Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 300

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fiction or not the timeline compared to the historical events were very accurate this was based on history like it or not. And in the end history/fact lost.
    It was based on Historical Fiction though. Frank Miller (writer) based the movie on several Historic Fiction novels and that's the material he used for his comic book. People get bummed out of shape on something that clearly references fiction. Miller was going for gore (as usual) and selling sex. He obviously could care less about the Historic value of Sparta. I laugh at the people actually believed that really happened. I say, "Oh so you were there?" And then laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Diango
    Your not going to have the convenience of hiding behind "its just fiction"

why not

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Yeah, man. You didn't write, direct or product this movie so you can't really tell us how we're supposed to perceive or interpret any of it. I, along with most moviegoers walked in expecting ultraviolence, and were rewarded with so.

8-)

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

I want to talk about this movie and its hot, sweaty, gore-bathing men. Talking about a movie's historical value is inane when it never wishes to be historically accurate: only accurate to the comic.

You're talking to a wall, Diango. We know what it is - fiction. We don't care, frankly, that it's a complete misrepresentation of X amount of things.

We don't care.

We care about the visual style, the blood-bath, etc... We go in expecting a testosterone-filled movie, and we get it.

We'll read a book or watch the history channel if we want to learn of Sparta and Greece.

Back to naked men and gore.

I actually thought the story was rather good, I fail to see how people think there was no story, it just wasn't the main focus. I saw it about an hour ago and loved it to death, awesome fights, which is what I felt like seeing.

Well, I have no idea as to what the discussion of this this thread has evolved into, so for now, I'll throw in my own 2 cents. I know quite a bit about this topic, as my greek ancestors came from Spartan-controlled lands, and I've done numerous project on Sparta.

This is what I had a problem with:
    1) There is no snow in Greece. Maybe in the very northern reaches of Greece, but Sparta was rather firmly in the south.

2) I don't care who you are, Spartan, Viking, Samurai, no one feels confident or b.a. when going into battle in little more than a man-thong. They did have armor.

3) There was really 1700 men at the pass; the Thebeans did come you know. But they left to warn Greece (when the goat trail was discovered) and the 300 Spartans were left to defend the pass. The movie makes it seem as though the others did very little, but this is simply not true.

4) The elephants. I don't care if they can swim, no elephant will swim more than a quarter-mile. There. Were. No. Elephants. K? But the rhino I liked. That was good.

Other than that, the movie was spectacular. It did a superb job of displaying the fighting techniques and skill of the spartans, as well as their heroism. The CG didn't take over the movie or was seperated from the actors, but instead enhanced the actors performance beautifully. More movies should try to emulate this movie's use of CG. The fighting was amazing and realistic and is a huge improvement of the first 300 Spartans movie. Awesome, awesome, awesome. At first there were some things that made me laugh at it's stupidity, but one has to realize that this is supposed to be an epic retelling of an epic legend. things are supposed to be a little overdone. (as a note of interest, the man with the sword-arms was actually recorded by Herodotus. That was pure history, really).

An excellent movie that was worth seeing, despite a few flaws.

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

*bashing forehead to wall*

WTF?????

What. Are. You. Doing? Don't do that, you might put a hole in the wall, XD

Did we mention the guys were very hot, sweaty, and bloody? I'm sorry. I can see everyone's point, but does it really matter?
    "Why should I do good, when being bad is what I'm good at."

of course not....the movie was great, and what's wrong with that?

dr strangelove wasn't historically accurate either...who cares, it was still hilarous and awesome.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And everyone knows there were only two Nazgūl in history - LotR just made the rest up for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    And everyone knows there were only two Nazgūl in history - LotR just made the rest up for dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Mage View Post
    This is what I had a problem with:
    1) There is no snow in Greece. Maybe in the very northern reaches of Greece, but Sparta was rather firmly in the south.
    It was imported from a snow manufacturing plant. This was a common Spartan tactic because Persians were afraid of hard nipples.

2) I don't care who you are, Spartan, Viking, Samurai, no one feels confident or b.a. when going into battle in little more than a man-thong. They did have armor.
    Man, there are Vikings and Samurai in this movie? I need to go see it now.

3) There was really 1700 men at the pass; the Thebeans did come you know. But they left to warn Greece (when the goat trail was discovered) and the 300 Spartans were left to defend the pass. The movie makes it seem as though the others did very little, but this is simply not true.
    Numerical pish-posh.

4) The elephants. I don't care if they can swim, no elephant will swim more than a quarter-mile. There. Were. No. Elephants. K? But the rhino I liked. That was good.
    The elephants were imported from an Elephant Manufacturing Plant because Spartans didn't have any mice. Rhinos are pretty cool though.

'sup folks

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

Default I'm just going to derail this thread even more. ;D

If the Persians would have constructed additional pylons, they might have stood a chance.