Thread: Could Dagger/Garnet technically be considered a Red Mage?

Default Could Dagger/Garnet technically be considered a Red Mage?

A while ago, when playing through FFIX, I decided to level up all the characters and have as many of them learn as many of their abilities as possible. Switching Vivi out, temporarily, I replaced him with (delete as appropriate) Dagger/Garnet.

I found that summoning Shiva (since I was fighting those dragons) was effectively just as good as casting Blizzaga; I was doing similar damage and spending a similar amount of MP to call her. In fights against considerably weaker enemies, I also found that Dagger/Garnet had fairly decent physical attack power, though admittedly not on par with Zidane, Steiner or even Freya. She also gets all the mandatory healing spells, namely the Cure series, Life and some rudimentary status cures, but unlike Eiko she didn't have access to the really big guns like Full-Life, Esuna, Dispel or Holy.

So add her half-decent physical prowess and her excellent summoning power to this (so totally nothing like Black Magic in the way it does magic based elemental damage that also can't be reflected, no sir) and in all seriousness, Dagger/Garnet has all the makings of a Red Mage. Now I don't feel so jealous of all those "Male Red Mage" and "Female Red Mage" NPCs I kept encountering :)

Just to give a little rundown of where I'm coming from with "Black Magic"...

Shiva = Blizzaga
    Ifrit = Firaga
    Ramuh = Thundaga*
    Atomos = Demi
    Leviathan = Water (remember Water was sort of a higher powered spell in this game as well)
    Odin = Death
    Bahamut = Meteor, but now it never misses
    Ark = Doomsday, but without killing ur d00ds

What do you all think?

*Uh oh , another game where I think there's a superior alternative to a Black Mage. When will this madness end?
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 03-10-2007 at 02:47 AM.

yeah sounds good to me

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

No. She's a summoner/white mage. This is apparent by her skills in summoning magic and white magic.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

yes. yes i am

Slanted and Enchanted Shotgunnova's Avatar

Dagger's summons increase in power in accordance to their specific gem count (i.e. Shiva does more damage with 99 Opals than 1), so she's definitely not a red mage. Our dear old red mages are supposed to be jacks-of-all-trades but have no real magical strengths. And, while anyone could say that Dagger doesn't excel at white magic compared to Eiko, she certainly isn't so much of a lightweight that she is "horrible" at healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    No. She's a summoner/white mage. This is apparent by her skills in summoning magic and white magic.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I vote yes to Red Mage Dagger, Psi! Because it would be cool. I am totally with you on this one man >:O

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

No, because one thing that a lot of people overlook about Red Mages is that they can use swords.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    No, because one thing that a lot of people overlook about Red Mages is that they can use swords.
    True, true, but then White Mages can use hammers while Summoners can use knives.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Also, by this logic, all summoners in the entire FF series are either black mages or red mages.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

No, Red Mages definitely can't summon. Only Summoners (Callers).
    Sigless

Red Mages use White and Black magic and use swords, Dagger uses White and summons (she doesn't even use Black so just from that then no she is not).
    [leeza]Filesize limit is 50 kb. Please read the sig limits posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them. Maybe try saving as a jpg instead of a png. ~ Leeza[/leeza]

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

No, I think Dagger is a Summoner/White Mage.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Banned

She ain´t a red mage because she does not know any offensive magic that causes damage.

Garnet could be viewed as a Red mage with the logic that Psi has presented. Not offically by name , but through her abilitys maybe.

Dagger had offencive summons, and low leval white magic (not that she was a crippled at w.magic but she was not a pro either. I Know she didnt have a sword, but she she was more usful for attack then healing. And on the magic front, beat Vivi as well as on the psychical attack front. So Its fair to assume she was a red mage at least in spirit. After all she had white magic (limited) and Summons (which acted like elemental attacks) which could be concidered supierior black magic, as you could power them up, they could not be reflected, and you did not need Stiener to cast the ulimate spell without harming your party.

The ironic thing is even Dagge's trace lends it self to attacking with elemnts, where as Viv's only alows you to double cast. In short Garnet is better at black magic and attack then Vivi. She is better used in the game as a red mage then using Vivi in for your elemnet spells if you leval her up right

Eiko was more of a real white mage with summons, but would not be concidered a red mage as her summons where not all element based.

So yes your Thoery works for me